Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2012, 06:00 PM   #1
GregAndrew

Ocean Kayak and Reps.

I recently found a small crack near one of the scuppers on my Trident 15. It was not leaking yet, but was building in length and size over a period. I had not heard of anyone having an issue like this with any Ocean Kayak before, and did not know how to approach the problem. As it happened, I ran into Jim Sammons at LJ. We were talking about downrigger video over the next week or so online when the lightbulb above my head went from off to dim. Asking him how to deal with it, he told me to contact my nearest dealer, and also said I should first check into getting it fixed. I believe Jim was also the first to make contack with Mark Olson (the regional rep.) on my behalf. So, who do I know that repairs kayak? Hmmmm? Duh, Andy at OEX Sunset Beach of course. So, I hit up Andy to see if it is repairable to any degree of security. I was surprised to find out that he is also an authorized OK dealer (I think he is like the equivalent of a Chevy, Chrysler and Ford dealership). He tells me to send him some pics and he would tell me what he thought. With the location and size of the crack, he tells me that it would not be worth repairing. He contacts Mark to find out the procedure himself (cause he has never had to warranty an OK either). Mark gets the pics and sends them up the line, and about a week later it is what color would you like? Unfortunately the new Urban Camo color is not available yet (looks great though), so I stick with the same Tactical Camo I had. He tells me they will build it the next week and it will be at OEX Sunset Beach the following week. Pretty kewl, but Andy (being the guy he is) one-ups the deal and tells me he has one in stock that I can take and he will wait for the replacement. Now that is some great warranty coverage and some over the top service. So, at the Baytubers tournament on Sunday I spent the last few hours of the fishing time stripping down my modifications for the evening exchange. I am the proud owner of a brand new canvas to put the finishing touches to. Thanks again to Ocean Kayaks, Mark Olson, Jim Sammons and Andy Allen.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:04 PM   #2
ful-rac
Emperor

Hope the new rig is going to be ready for the weekend! Wonder if its gonna be the kill'n machine the last one was......
Old 09-25-2012, 06:16 PM   #3
mtnbykr2

wow, to all of the right people who helped you out with this, and congrats on the new ride Greg, that is indeed, above and beyond service,
and after finally pulling the trigger on updating my yak, and as great of deals that are out there, I am gonna update it through Andy
Old 09-25-2012, 06:24 PM   #4
NextBite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbykr2 View Post
wow, to all of the right people who helped you out with this, and congrats on the new ride Greg, that is indeed, above and beyond service,
and after finally pulling the trigger on updating my yak, and as great of deals that are out there, I am gonna update it through Andy
You should Andy is the man!
NextBite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:31 PM   #5
roadx

righton!!!! isnt it great when company's take care of their customers
Old 09-25-2012, 06:59 PM   #6
Drake

Every time I take a new Kayak out on the water, I land a fish I have never caught before on its Mayden Voyage

Stealth 12 - Flounder (Boston)
PA #1 - Sheepshead
PA #2 - WSB
PA #3 - Barracuda

I need to keep getting new Kayaks if I plan to catch every fish in the ocean.

Congrats, and it's nice to hear good stories. Consumers are 10x more likely to share their story if they have a negative experience. The positive ones mean just as much.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:19 PM   #7
Cbad Mike

Cool. Glad to hear that you were taken care of in such a great way.
In my short time participating here on BWE and kayak fishing as a whole, I've come to realize that there are ALOT more really cool and helpful people in this awesome sport then there are a**holes and jerks. Hmmmmmm... Imagine if it was like that in every other aspect of life.
Cbad Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:03 PM   #8
nitsuj
Junior

Daaaayaaaam, that is some serious customer service right there!
nitsuj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:36 PM   #9
yotasan

i recently purchased an ocean kayak from andy, the ultra 4.3, ordered a rudder kit for it and found that i had to remove the flush mount rod holders to run the cables to the footpegs. removed the flush mounts and decided to use goof off to remove the double sided 3m seal. sprayed a little on the mounts and when i came back i found my mounts melting from the goof off. called ocean kayak to see about purchasing replacements and they told me to send in a picture of the mounts and what product i used. they also asked for my mailing address and a week later, new mounts arrived at my door. here's the kicker, since the ultra is made in new zealand, and the mounts were not available in the US they sent me replacement mounts directly from ocean kayak new zealand! that's kick ass customer service!!

in the package was a little note:

"with compliments"
John Ingram
Operations Co-Ordinator

thank you Mr. Ingram. and thanks ocean kayak for the great customer service.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:29 AM   #10
OutdoorAdvntr

alot of good information here
OutdoorAdvntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:57 AM   #11
Jimmyz123

Now that's what I call service.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:15 AM   #12
Iceman
Administrator

Happy to do my part on this for someone who contributes alot to the fishing community, both Greg and Ocean Kayak.

This kayak was originally donated by OK to the Steve Moyer Tournament 2 years ago where Greg won the bidding on it and those proceeds went to fighting cancer. Two years of overloading it with halibut and getting it replaced with out much of a question impressed me.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:26 AM   #13
Badtaste2k

Wow! Great story Greg. I'm sorry about the crack but it's great to know the company has your back! It makes me feel even better about going for the Trident when I was deciding.

Dan
Badtaste2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:30 AM   #14
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Sweet. Crosses fingers i hope my x-factor super tank never cracks...its a blem...

if it does ill have have to put some duct tape on it. Nacho libre style

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:40 AM   #15
dmrides

Good to hear that all parties involved took such good care of you and got you back on the water so quickly.

I had an issue with a prowler a few years back and Mark was extremely helpful in making sure it got resolved. I have nothing but good things to say about Ocean Kayaks, their reps and shops that carry them; excellent customer service.
dmrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:00 AM   #16
Jim Sammons LJKF

Glad it all worked out for you Greg and I could be a little help. It is always fun rigging up a new kayak. There have been a lot of changes at OK recently so I am glad to hear they have continued their great customer service.
JimSammons.com
Jim Sammons LJKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:41 AM   #17
jorluivil

Another satisfied customer!

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote