Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2013, 09:48 PM   #21
swinginFish

Dogs - Pavlov - Extinguising Unwanted Behavior

Guys,

This is an old and repeated issue -

One thing I've heard about that was reported to work (I, of course, would never think of trying this ...) was having some dead squid and a zip-lock bag of fresh cayenne pepper handy. When the dogs come by, it's suggested you dip a squid in the cayenne pepper and toss it towards them (but do it downwind - don't want the cayenne pepper blowing in your face - something that, uh, never happened to me). When the squid hits the water, I'm told the cayenne pepper will start to come off and cloud the water as the squid drifts down. If the squid's close to the seal, the seal will likely come by to investigate and, when it does, it will get some of the cayenne pepper on its nose and/or eyes. Not pleasant, this, so while no permanent damage, the pinniped will get the heck out of there just to rid itself of the irritation. Now if it actually eats the peppered squid, well, unless from south of the border, this will be one seal that will likely think twice before coming to another kayak for a handout. Uh, at least, this is what I was told ...
swinginFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:51 PM   #22
madncrzydm

Just saw on the news tonight a guy had a seal jump in his kayak and wouldn't let him back in.

Last edited by madncrzydm; 02-25-2013 at 10:14 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:27 PM   #23
madncrzydm

Quote:
Originally Posted by madncrzydm View Post
Just saw on the news tonight a guy had a seal jump in his kayak and wouldn't let him back in.
sorry was a diver that had a sea lion pup jump in his kayak and didnt want to get back in the water..
Old 02-25-2013, 11:13 PM   #24
silentsmell

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALOr8knqJ0U
silentsmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:24 AM   #25
ocurtis

Quote:
Originally Posted by madncrzydm View Post
Cute little guy. Unfortunately he will grow up
ocurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:19 PM   #26
Davis2j
Junior

Check out this video on YouTube:

http://youtu.be/C34Zhq5bUlg
Davis2j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:16 PM   #27
steveooo

I've been fishing for a while now without much incident from the furbags. Lost my 1st YT to a dog last week. I guess it was time to pay dues i guess.

The new breed seems to be a bit more brazen. The older guys would bolt pretty quickly as soon as i reached for the jig stick...

Never thought I'd say it but... I miss knothead...
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:48 AM   #28
Long Beach Yakker
Junior

Bumpin an old thread

Hey everyone its first time posting on the site, its great to be part of it. I don't know if we have to do an intro first but,.. hey what's up.

Anyways I'm glad I found the thread since I tend to have "minor" issues with these beasts. One guy mentioned a blow horn, I had one on the boat for awhile then I tested it in the parking lot the other day and it was corroded shut. Keep that in mind if your buying the cheapies.

The next thing I'll try is pepper spray, either at the lions or spraying the water to deter them. I'll let you know the result. Nothing worse than having a sea lion scare the crap out of you on a solo night mission.

Good luck. Be safe, have fun.
Long Beach Yakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:43 PM   #29
quilicaw
The Professor

CS/pepper mix

HI guys,

I posted about this a few month back. Since that time, I have discovered, 'Wildfire" pepper spray. I sprayed a dog (Seal) in Oxnard last week, not only did he leave me alone, but he began flopping around in the water trying to get it off.

HOWEVER!!!! Don't get this stuff on yourself. If you do, you are screwed.
quilicaw is offline   Reply With Quote