Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 05-15-2016, 09:30 AM   #1
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Time to upgrade?

I have been using Calcutta 400's for YEARS. Been loosing too many YT in the last couple of years at Asuncion. So looking for a little advise. Want to fish jigs with 65 Power Pro. Need about 25 lbs of drag and want small reel, no bigger than my current Calcuttas. DO NOT want level wind reel. Bullet proof would be great as I service my Calcuttas once a year at most. Suggestions.??? Thanks for your help.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 09:47 AM   #2
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Location: Where ever I may roam where I lay my head I call home.
Send a message via AIM to MITCHELL
Shimano Trinidad

If You can spend $450 my dawa sealine works for me
Old 05-15-2016, 09:52 AM   #3
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Abu Garcia

Revo come in different size are good to
Old 05-15-2016, 10:22 AM   #4
Tandem Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobob View Post
I have been using Calcutta 400's for YEARS. Been loosing too many YT in the last couple of years at Asuncion. So looking for a little advise. Want to fish jigs with 65 Power Pro. Need about 25 lbs of drag and want small reel, no bigger than my current Calcuttas. DO NOT want level wind reel. Bullet proof would be great as I service my Calcuttas once a year at most. Suggestions.??? Thanks for your help.
I just bought 6 new Shimano Toriums in various sizes - they have 24 lbs. of drag and look just like the Trinidads but black. You can get a 30HG for $ 205 on e-bay (from Japan) - no tax or freight. And the good thing is it's here in 2-3 days. I purchased another on Friday and it will be here tomorrow.

I never owned a Shimano reel other then a TLD30 2-speed and have fished Daiwa Saltist for the last 10 years. The new Torium is a lot of reel for $ 205 and it will catch big fish...
Tandem Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 10:27 AM   #5
Tandem Assassin

Link

Here is the link the the ebay re-seller that has all 3 sizes ranging from $190-$205. He is about $40 dollars cheaper then buying in the states and if you add in no sales tax and freight of save about $ 55.00 a reel by buying from this guy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201540652606...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Old 05-15-2016, 10:42 AM   #6
2-Stix

I was recently looking into upgrading some rods and reals. I was 100% sold on the Shimano brand having and loving my Corado 300. I just had to choose a trim level. Trinidad or Torium, and then realized the lever drag is a better option for trolling big baits. So I quickly went to work on locating a Talica or TLD.

I went to 3 shops and being on a kayak 90% of the time, the TLD was less money and easier to beat up and take a beating since its carbon fiber body. I had to clean out the Corado once and it took 3 hours to get all the sand out, lube it, etc...I know the Avets are a lot easier to work on but I was not considering one yet.

So I moved to the Avets because the cost was a little better, USA made, So. Cal local, easy parts to ordering online, but the main reason was they are very very easy to work on, and I can account for that now. I got a sx5.3 mc, mxl 6/4 raptor and jx 6.0 mc. The raptor has 31# at lock down and is dual speed, 21# at strike. I am extrealy happy with it. But, they all are lever drags. Hope this helps Bob.

Last edited by 2-Stix; 05-15-2016 at 09:30 PM.
2-Stix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 11:09 AM   #7
CR Yaker

That makes 2 on the Avets. Nice tutorials online for ripping apart and cleaning/lube. I do it once a year, but really once you lube it correct the first time it can last longer. If you want to be setting your drag at 25lbs. I would go for a raptor with 38lbs of max drag, set the LEVER strike for 25lbs and your good to go. Obviously it's better not to max a reel out on the drag. The raptors are light and small footprint. I use a JX 6:3 raptor, weight 24oz. That MX would work also, a little lighter at 21oz.

Where's paradise going to be, Bob??

Mark

Last edited by CR Yaker; 05-15-2016 at 12:43 PM.
CR Yaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 11:18 AM   #8
SDROB
Malibu Stealth 12

I have a Torium 30 and a 20 and love them both. Ive beat the hell out of my Torium 30 in Bay of La and San Quintin w some big Yellows.

After all the abuse of the past few years its ready for a service. Im gonna take it to Squidco this weekend, when I get it back if you want to borrow it for a while to test it out Bob you can. It is the older model thou.

Another option too that I have been considering is a Penn Fathom. I haven't tried one yet but have heard good things.

Also if you want to sell your calcutta's I want to be first in line to buy them. I really like the way they cast and have been wanting to pick up a few for shore fishing and lighter inshore stuff.

I'm telling ya, you have to keep these suckers on a game clip until just before you drop them in the frying pan.(Rossman)

Last edited by SDROB; 05-16-2016 at 08:38 AM.
SDROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 12:12 PM   #9
monstahfish

Hi Bob,
Check out the truth sg. Made in the carolinas and puts out 25 pounds of drag at a decent price. I like mine and always have an iron pinned on around here. Also, it's more expensive but I have a saltiga 40 2 speed that is a beast that I use for vertical jigging and has held up to some rough conditions. I would think going to the smaller size and single speed would have been best considering I do all my fishing out of a kayak and anything big is gonna drag me around so I don't need the line capacity. I would go with the SALD20HS if you want to spend the money.
monstahfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 12:27 PM   #10
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandem Assassin View Post
I just bought 6 new Shimano Toriums in various sizes - they have 24 lbs. of drag and look just like the Trinidads but black. You can get a 30HG for $ 205 on e-bay (from Japan) - no tax or freight. And the good thing is it's here in 2-3 days. I purchased another on Friday and it will be here tomorrow.

I never owned a Shimano reel other then a TLD30 2-speed and have fished Daiwa Saltist for the last 10 years. The new Torium is a lot of reel for $ 205 and it will catch big fish...
I also have a couple the Torium HGs. The 16 and the 20. Even the 16 is a larger reel than the Calcutta but it feels very light and comfortable to me. I have given them a real workout here in Ausuncion and they are performing flawlessly with virtually no ongoing preventive maintenance. They are a serious upgrade from the older model Toriums.
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 12:43 PM   #11
Tandem Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobob View Post
If you want to step up one more notch I just purchased 2 of these Okuma Metaliod 12II 2-speed reels - they make 3 sizes - price from $229-$299 depending on the size. Max drag is 34 lbs. Can't wait to give them a try on 100 lb. Bluefin.

Old 05-15-2016, 01:38 PM   #12
Tandem Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossman View Post
I also have a couple the Torium HGs. The 16 and the 20. Even the 16 is a larger reel than the Calcutta but it feels very light and comfortable to me. I have given them a real workout here in Ausuncion and they are performing flawlessly with virtually no ongoing preventive maintenance. They are a serious upgrade from the older model Toriums.
It's virtually a Trinidad with lower quality bearings....
Old 05-15-2016, 03:22 PM   #13
T-Rex

Lots of good reels out there today. Take a look at the Truth SG's. 30# of drag and will hold 400 yards of 65# braid.

Last edited by T-Rex; 05-15-2016 at 03:46 PM.
T-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 05:12 PM   #14
dillpick
fisha

I would say avet mxl raptor 2 speed or penn fathom 25 n 2 speed ld or torium 20 or30 hg.
dillpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 12:10 AM   #15
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

My Newell 454

Can handle anything I would ever want to catch around here I guess that's considered old school now. I pulled a 200lb hammerhead up to my kayak hope in it was a shordfish.with my dawa sealine.the sled ride was smooth with the drag system on the sealine I am impressed with that reel for the cost under a $150 I have taken it completely apart twice from fliping over at night in surf

Last edited by MITCHELL; 05-16-2016 at 05:22 AM.
MITCHELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 09:02 AM   #16
RK

Bob- A sealine 40 is pretty tough to beat....
RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 09:06 AM   #17
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Thanks guys for all your input. LOOKING for smaller reel, not much bigger in size then my calcuttas.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 05-16-2016, 09:34 AM   #18
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

I lost a Calcutta 200

In the surf and a sales man out turner out door talked me in to the revo casts like a dream
Old 05-16-2016, 09:38 AM   #19
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR Yaker View Post
That makes 2 on the Avets. Nice tutorials online for ripping apart and cleaning/lube. I do it once a year, but really once you lube it correct the first time it can last longer. If you want to be setting your drag at 25lbs. I would go for a raptor with 38lbs of max drag, set the LEVER strike for 25lbs and your good to go. Obviously it's better not to max a reel out on the drag. The raptors are light and small footprint. I use a JX 6:3 raptor, weight 24oz. That MX would work also, a little lighter at 21oz.

Where's paradise going to be, Bob??
Mark, my paradise is just north of Gonzaga Bay BAJA

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 05-16-2016, 11:41 AM   #20
PescadorPete

If you want to go old school, the old ProGear 251 is about the same size as the Calcutta. Guts are Jigmaster so parts will be available forever. I replaced the stock 5:1 gears with Jigmaster 4:1. I think the Jigmaster 506HS 5:1 gears also fit. Replace the stock drags with a Jigmaster HT-100 drag stack. No anti-reverse bearing which always seems to fail in my Calcutta. It also has a spring loaded dog which is more reliable than the ambassador style in the 400.

If you want to drop some serious coin, the Penn TRQ-15 is also about the same size. The Fathom 15 is a less expensive alternative. They are 6:1 which is not the best for cranking power. You can change the TRQ-15 to 4.8:1 gears but that will set you back another $50. There are aftermarket lower speed gears for the Fathom.

I'm really surprised how long my 400 has lasted, given the number of times is has been underwater .

PescadorPete is offline   Reply With Quote