Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 09-17-2020, 11:20 AM   #1
FISH11

La Jolla search for Yellowtail on the SOLO SKIFF 9-15-2020

Went out on Sunday the 13th and Tuesday the 15th. Found some good bait and trolled around different spots for Yellowtail using greenbacks and at time at faster speed using a greenback Rapala. Sunday ended up feeding several sea lions and Tuesday I stayed away from them. Did see a few good marks on the FF, but never got any hits, except for some bonitos. Kept a few for lobster bait, but not on video due to just making a very short video capturing mostly the beauty of the sun coming through the marine layer clearing and the relaxing view of the La Jolla coast. Every trip that is a sight I never get tired off.

Old 09-17-2020, 12:22 PM   #2
Salty

Love it. It really never gets old. Whether it's the sun coming up over San Clemente Island from the back of a boat, the first orange light reflecting off the waves in the lineup while surfing or tiny rays breaking through the mist from the kayak as I put out a line, I love being on the water at sunrise. Nothing beats it! Thanks for sharing
Salty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 01:28 PM   #3
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty View Post
Love it. It really never gets old. Whether it's the sun coming up over San Clemente Island from the back of a boat, the first orange light reflecting off the waves in the lineup while surfing or tiny rays breaking through the mist from the kayak as I put out a line, I love being on the water at sunrise. Nothing beats it! Thanks for sharing
I feel the exact same feelings on a high mountain trout stream with a fly rod in my hands. The first sounds of the day, the smells and the sound of running water, probably as close as I'll ever get to heaven.
Old 09-17-2020, 04:19 PM   #4
surfshotmoto

I was out there Tuesday as well. I think I saw you. Do you have the outboard on that skiff?

I caught one large Bonito and three small along with a couple nice size Calico. Didn’t get any hits from Yellowtail. My fish finder wasn’t working so I had to use the birds and current. There was some bird action but not allot.

I agree with the sunrise. It was glassy and beautiful early.

Thanks for the share.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
surfshotmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 05:53 PM   #5
FISH11

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfshotmoto View Post
I was out there Tuesday as well. I think I saw you. Do you have the outboard on that skiff?

I caught one large Bonito and three small along with a couple nice size Calico. Didn’t get any hits from Yellowtail. My fish finder wasn’t working so I had to use the birds and current. There was some bird action but not allot.

I agree with the sunrise. It was glassy and beautiful early.

Thanks for the share.

Yes, it has a Tohatsu 6 hp 4 stroke outboard.
Old 09-17-2020, 06:31 PM   #6
surfshotmoto

Nice. There were some birds working the surface hard but I couldn’t get out to them before they broke up. I think I saw you take a run at them as well.

I’ll be back out next Tuesday. Hopefully get some Yellowtail to bite.

surfshotmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 06:44 PM   #7
FISH11

Yes the bird action at a distance is one of the reasons I got the Solo Skiff. On my kayaks, even my Hobie Revo I sold it would take a few minute to 20 minutes depending on how far away they were. Some times after that hard work, you'd get there to find it was Sea Lions playing with their catch. Now I can check the action out in a very short time. The other day it was bait and that helped but there was no love from the Yellowtail. Being able to cover more water and not fight the wind and current, while trolling at higher speeds is a game changer. The other advantage I had not considered before getting the Solo was how the outboard makes surf launching and landing easier. I'll be there again Monday or Tuesday, not sure which yet. I try to go at least once a week.

Last edited by FISH11; 09-18-2020 at 06:37 AM.
FISH11 is offline   Reply With Quote