Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2012, 11:20 AM   #1
RobFish
Massive Member

what goes around...

What happens when you combine a lifelong fishing guy, a WebCam, and incoming tide, a truck and tow strap? Well, I was just sitting at home one day, and having just recently become aware of the whole kayak fishing/ocean potential of the sport, I was checking out the BWE.

I’ve been fishing forever. You know me. I’m the average guy. I go to Mammoth yearly, and have since I was a kid, spending time on the lakes, but also I love the streams.
Grew up with a sailboat in the family, but I get seasick, so those memories are so-so.

I've been reading the BWE everyday. I just haven’t posted anything, well because I have nothing to contribute except questions, and frankly I don't want to seem like a schm*ck, or a PITA. Figuring I’ll just kind of make my way, doing my thing, and eventually, with enough time on the water, it’ll all come together, and I’ll catch my first fish from a kayak. It has to, right? In life, everything seems to have a learning curve, so how would this be any different? Six months later, I’m a nothing but a mean sabiki handler. Macs fear me.

One day I’m sitting at my computer, and of course, first thing, I click on the WebCam.
I notice a guy checking the back of his truck out. He's on the left side looking at the back wheel, then goes to the right side and checks out that wheel. Then he looks at the tide. He's on his cell phone, walking around mildIy frantic-like. I don't know who he is, but I know that I have a truck and I could help, so off I go.

I live pretty close to the launch, like 10 minutes. I drive on over. I leave the truck running and I just walk up to the cement wall right there. His truck is kind of nose in, like as if it was facing backwards at an angle. I say Hey, I just got here. You stuck? He goes yeah. He says, you got a truck? Yup...and a rope, not a problem. He's like, that’d be great! Awesome. I went back to my truck, and before I get out on the sand I put it in 4WD.
I come around the sand blockade, and the look on Kevin’s face was classic. He knew that he was OK. I drive an F350 diesel, slightly modified. Just slightly.

I carry one of those 20k lb. tow straps with me, just for reasons like this. Why not?
I hand Kevin the rope, he hooks it up to the back of my truck, up to his, and of course all the tourists are there, learning how to paddle their paddles and whatnot. I get into the throttle a little bit and no problem. He's unstuck. Bada boom bada bing.
He goes and parks. Upon returning, he’s like I really appreciate that. I said no worries. He says, a quick question though. How did you know I was here? I just pointed at the camera. He was like, but how did you know to come down? I said how could I not come down?

I'm Kevin. I’m Rob. Introductions kind of all went down of course of moment. BWE?
I'm Rob Fish. I’m TheKid. I said, you’re the fishing guide dude. Yup, that’s me.
Dude, for helping me out like this, you’ve got let me take you out and I go no.
He kept at it. I insist, you absolutely let me give you some money or something.
We’re all good. Take this then. This is my favorite surface iron, and here’s my business card. When you’re free, I owe you a trip.

Four months later, or something like that, I have finally I had a free day. We linked up, met on the beach, and launched into lesson one. So there you go. It all started with that. The WebCam, that thing is priceless. If somebody should ever hit you up for a spare dollar for the WebCam fund, pay your dues. You never know whose ass it's going to save.

After a great day on the water....MY FIRST YELLOWTAIL!!!!
After we bled her, she went 30 pounds even and 41 inches at the fork. Very tasty indeed. Much props to neighbor KurtFish who who help me filet the fish.
Also, much thanks to those who have helped me out so far, you know who you are.

Kevin, thanks again for the trip. I don't even know what to say dude, you're the man. Your knowledge of the ocean is impressive.
If anyone has ever thought about whether or not to hire Kevin as a guide, just spring for it. Don't even question it. I learned more from Kevin in our time on the water in one day, than I did in the previous six months.

Become a Sea Samurai. It just feels good.
Thanks for reading.

RobFish
Member of the Nakada Armada
Attached Images

Old 02-15-2012, 11:25 AM   #2
Iceman
Administrator

Good stuff and good on you !
Old 02-15-2012, 11:36 AM   #3
TJones

when its your time

want to sell the iron? congrats. i am looking forward to my first of many trips with the kid this year. this is my under cover name kevin. yes , I am at the top of your list. thx .
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:56 AM   #4
YakMedic

Nice fish, good karma pays off.
YakMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:10 PM   #5
yani

Great story Rob,

Nice fish and congrats on getting hooked on kayak fishing. I'm way
jealous of you being so close to the jewel!! And helping out Kevin,
couldn't have been more fortuitous. See ya on the water.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:16 PM   #6
Fiskadoro

Awesome story!!! Congrats.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:40 PM   #7
blitzburgh

Congrats! That is a great friggin' story! Now THAT is what community is all about!:lux hello:
Old 02-15-2012, 12:49 PM   #8
Geno Machino
"Relax"

Sweeeeeeet!!!!!!

Sounded like you made a superb choice in having Kevin show you a few tricks. Good on Kevin, also!

Geno
Geno Machino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:05 PM   #9
rogersmith

nice! your good deed we well repaid by Kevin and by good karma!
rogersmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:15 PM   #10
ericko

Great read well done
ericko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:27 PM   #11
Fish Taco

Thumbs up

Hats off to both Rob & Kevin! What a GREAT story!!! Makes me wish I still lived in San Diego! What a great community of fisherman!!!

Rob, you're quite the writer... keeping us engaged and hanging on every word! Looking forward to your next post...

Now... if I could only see that iron that Kevin was going to give you... hmmm...

- Ken
Port Washington, NY
Fish Taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:44 PM   #12
Mr. Adventure
Damn Hippy

Woot!
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:47 PM   #13
NextBite

WTG!

Nice
NextBite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:55 PM   #14
THE DARKHORSE

Congrats, Rob!

Note to self: When business is slow---get my truck stuck in the sand in front of the web-cam. Got it.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:59 PM   #15
mtnbykr2

Very well done sir,
I like to think that "what goes around", I really believe in that...
Great story, I am sure that the lessons learned from "The Kid" are priceless, being the good look out for the fellow yakker in need priceless as well, way to go to both of you guys...
Oh yeah an let this be the official "welcome to the addiction" to you...
Old 02-15-2012, 02:07 PM   #16
Aaron&Julie

Got to like it, helpfulness rewarded with gratitude, win-win. Good for both of you, and kudos to you both.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:12 PM   #17
TCS

Its nice when what goes around comes back around

That is a great post. Judging from your gear in the picture, you look like an old hand. Maybe your being too modest?...
TCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:20 PM   #18
erinoo

Good job to both. Kevin you know how to make good, you sure earned respect from me.
erinoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:28 PM   #19
jorluivil

Cool story and nice fish.

Kevin, are you planning on getting stuck in the sand this weekend?

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 03:18 PM   #20
min-va

nice fish!