Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2015, 03:17 PM   #1
skrilla

hammerhead encounter vol.647383746467

Yet another guy looking to get his 15 minutes. Fox 5 San Diego got the exclusive. Interview at 5pm. The preview showed the guy trying to stab it with his paddle which looks like it does nothing but get it excited. I wonder how much the check is...

http://fox5sandiego.com/2015/09/21/a...-from-kayaker/

SANTA BARBARA, Calif. – A recent shark encounter off the Southern California coast had a kayaker fending off an aggressive hammerhead shark for 15Xminutes.

Mark McCracken, 33, wasXfishing a half-mile off the shore of Santa Barbara at Gaviota State BeachXon SaturdayXwhen the shark started circling him. XHeXused his oar in an attempt to move the shark away from knocking into his kayak. XThe hammerhead did not back down and continued to circle him for the next 15Xminutes.

"I was trolling for bonito yesterday when out of nowhere this tweaked out hammerhead started ramming and biting my kayak," McCrackenXposted.

McCracken continued fighting it off as he bee-lined it back to shore.

"I had to hit him over 20 times before he finally gave me some space but still stalked me for a half mile all the way back to shore," he said. "Even after I was on shore, he paced back and forth in about 3 feet of water like he was just waiting for me to come back out. Pretty bizarre and crazy experience to say the least."

Video of the encounter was captured by a GoPro mounted to the McCracken's head.

Since late August, other kayakers fishingXalong Southern California have takenXvideo of hammerhead sharks. XThe first reported sighting caused San Diego lifeguards to close the beach on August 30.

Hammerhead sharks are rarely seen near the shore, Lt. Andy Lerum of San Diego Lifeguards said. However, warm weather and currents from the south made San Diego waters warmer than usual.

And here's "Mr Markus"

https://instagram.com/mr_markus/
Old 09-21-2015, 03:22 PM   #2
HobieScot

I was hoping the HH would bite off the end of the paddle then have him turn around and hit him with the other paddle and have the HH bite the other end off too leaving him stranded

Sent from my two thumbs using Tapatalk
HobieScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 03:24 PM   #3
jrip
Water dog

He swings a mean paddle but all that does is piss em off.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
jrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 03:26 PM   #4
skrilla

Hopefully this footage gives a hint of what NOT to do LOL. Saw it again and noticed a line still in the water... hmm
Old 09-21-2015, 03:28 PM   #5
YakDout
Brandon

Man that shark is fast!
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 04:08 PM   #6
jorluivil

One of these days..................................

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 04:36 PM   #7
2-Stix

i fished there 2 weekends ago, bleed and gutted 2 bonito and 2 hammers showed up, fought over the guts and followed me for a bit. A 6' that looks to be in the video and a 10-12' huge thick fat one, that was pretty intimidating. They were a bit active. I went in, the lifeguard chatted with me, older guy, he said he never saw guys go so far out on yaks, I shared about our day, no big deal. These people that are causing problems are calling the news and sending in video. With no footage and just conversations no one cares.
2-Stix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 07:25 PM   #8
kareem korn

I wonder if he's related to Phil

Last edited by kareem korn; 09-21-2015 at 07:30 PM.
kareem korn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 08:02 PM   #9
taggermike

Damn, that shark was fired up like the guy said some thing about its mother. Or maybe because the guy was thrashing and flailing all over. I'll go with the a second option. Either way, stay cool if a HH drives by. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 08:55 PM   #10
monstahfish

I'm not going to click the link as it would encourage the news to further pursue these stories.
monstahfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 10:24 PM   #11
King Saba

Why do these guys keep reporting their tales of shark encounters to Fox? You know you're asking for trouble if you give them "news".
King Saba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 10:35 PM   #12
momo fish

Cause everyone wants to be famous!! Short term gain without regards to long term pain...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 05:16 AM   #13
kareem korn

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo fish View Post
Cause everyone wants to be famous!! Short term gain without regards to long term pain...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No different than most of the fish reports on here
kareem korn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 08:24 AM   #14
domtesta27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-Stix View Post
i fished there 2 weekends ago, bleed and gutted 2 bonito and 2 hammers showed up, fought over the guts and followed me for a bit. A 6' that looks to be in the video and a 10-12' huge thick fat one, that was pretty intimidating. They were a bit active. I went in, the lifeguard chatted with me, older guy, he said he never saw guys go so far out on yaks, I shared about our day, no big deal. These people that are causing problems are calling the news and sending in video. With no footage and just conversations no one cares.
That does look like the smaller hammer that was bothering us up there, I wonder if he still has that 5 ft of fluoro hanging over his head.....
domtesta27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 09:37 AM   #15
domtesta27

also this video is now on the homepage of CNN and Yahoo news.....
domtesta27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 10:32 AM   #16
Jim Sammons LJKF

Yeah pretty ridiculous all these news hounds with these sharks.
With that said when a bigger HH is bumping your kayak it can be a bit unnerving.
If you do want a little confidence when out there the Shark Shield is a good way to go. Yes I am sponsored by them on my show, so I want that upfront. But I have been sponsored by them for a few years now and have never promoted them on here because honestly we just don't have the shark issue here that I see at many destinations I visit around the world.

All I can tell you is that it does work and I have seen it work first hand. Will it stop a GWS in full attack mode, I have no idea. But for the pesky curious sharks that just wont seem to leave you alone, it will dissuade them.

I mainly don't even bother turning it on unless I am landing a fish in a sharky area or in the case of these bumping sharks that just drive you nuts. I tend to drop my feet in the water when landing fish so the SS certainly gives me a bit more confidence that I am not going to lose my catch to the shark, or worse.

Again I don't come on here pumping sponsors, and certainly would never do it unless I believed in the product. So if the sharks are something that is of concern to you you might consider taking a look at this product.

But please stop sending in your videos of "shark attacks" to the news. It really is not a good thing for our sport.
JimSammons.com
Jim Sammons LJKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 10:45 AM   #17
summers in kuwait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Sammons LJKF View Post
But please stop sending in your videos of "shark attacks" to the news. It really is not a good thing for our sport.

X2
summers in kuwait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 11:41 AM   #18
Murray

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrilla View Post
Hopefully this footage gives a hint of what NOT to do LOL. Saw it again and noticed a line still in the water... hmm
thought I saw the line as well. if there is bait in the water, the shark is going to do his thing. probably a real good idea to remove bait from water if sharks are in the immediate area.
Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 11:47 AM   #19
chris138
donkey roper

KOOOOOOOOOOK

"I just kicked a shark's ass" ?!?!?!? hahaha you effing pussy
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 03:26 PM   #20
jorluivil

For those of you who have no clue what posting of HH videos is doing to our community here's a pic of breaking news on channel 7 in LA
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150922_160604.jpg (53.1 KB, 151 views)

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote