Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 10-14-2019, 09:11 AM   #1
baileybikes

LJ 10/12

Was a beautiful day on the water - easy catching bait - not so much of anything else.

I did catch a beautiful 30" lingcod that I thought was a cabezon because I have never caught one before and the cod in the pacific northwest don't look like these! Thanks to the chap on the beach who told me what it was - the crazy blue color of the skin meat had me confused too.

When do all these lobster bouy's get pulled up? I think I hooked two or three trolling through.

I still haven't hooked into a yellow..anyone catching them out there?
baileybikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 11:12 AM   #2
Tallangler
Junior

Went saturday also. 7am-2pm
One sand bass
Two rockfish
Two mackerel
Tallangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 11:26 AM   #3
Uncle_Tomas

Same here. Easy launch, caught ~ 10 Spanish mackerel. All of them on a smaller side. Trolled for YT most of the time. Once I got tired of weed getting wrapped around my bait I stopped on one spot that I marked a week ago for some rockfish. I did not bring any squid so just used the mackerel. Managed one 21” lingcod that went back. Trolled some more on the way back for nothing.
Uncle_Tomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 11:33 AM   #4
baileybikes

Im the guy with the tandem island - i have to say that I love having that thing when I take my boy out but I am starting to want a PA12 or something smaller and easier to get going with.

Those TI's setup quick enough - but pedaling around 7miles without wind by myself left me pretty smoked and I was racing bicycles at the pro level not too many years ago!
Old 10-14-2019, 12:57 PM   #5
Uncle_Tomas

I have never sat in PA but I would think that it’s pretty heavy and might be little awkward to get going when launching in surf?Although I saw some guys are using PA in LJ.My 2019 Outback is probably little lighter and also has a ton of storage and it’s very stable. If you want to go little lighter than that maybe try Compass?
Uncle_Tomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 06:41 AM   #6
NICKWORN

MARCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileybikes View Post
Was a beautiful day on the water - easy catching bait - not so much of anything else.

I did catch a beautiful 30" lingcod that I thought was a cabezon because I have never caught one before and the cod in the pacific northwest don't look like these! Thanks to the chap on the beach who told me what it was - the crazy blue color of the skin meat had me confused too.

When do all these lobster bouy's get pulled up? I think I hooked two or three trolling through.

I still haven't hooked into a yellow..anyone catching them out there?

*** End of March ****

Use them to your advantage and mark on your GPS when you find go rock piles.
NICKWORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 06:52 AM   #7
TCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileybikes View Post
Im the guy with the tandem island - i have to say that I love having that thing when I take my boy out but I am starting to want a PA12 or something smaller and easier to get going with.

Those TI's setup quick enough - but pedaling around 7miles without wind by myself left me pretty smoked and I was racing bicycles at the pro level not too many years ago!
Try using your kayak without the pontoons. The revo 16, formerly adventure, is the most efficient kayak in the hobie line. I’d imagine the tandem version could be fished solo...
TCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 09:28 AM   #8
baileybikes

Yeah TCS - i saw a few guys using their TI that way. I don't know how stable it would be since i am spoiled being able to stand up and fight a fish from the trampolines...

Good suggestion though as I do spend most of my time seated.
Old 10-15-2019, 11:31 AM   #9
captainbarky
Junior

I'm the chap on the beach. I didn't catch anything that day but did see a nice 30-40lb YT in 13ft of water just inside from the caves in the protected zone. I suppose it didn't get that big being dumb.

Not to derail the thread, but I'm curious, what's your cruising speed on the TI when using pedals and under sail with decent wind? This question also applies to anyone in other boats. I'm usually good around 3kts on the PA 14 and don't feel too worn. I haven't used anything other than a PA 12/14 so I have little to compare.
captainbarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 11:58 AM   #10
jbara

I put a 2.5 Honda on my ti. Used u bolts and some other hardware to make a transom that sits in the middle. Launch from mission bay.
jbara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 12:11 PM   #11
jbara

Name:  IMG_20170829_195649596.jpg
Views: 1071
Size:  57.9 KB
jbara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 09:14 AM   #12
baileybikes

Hi Barky - thanks again for educating me on the ling. The cabezons in puget sound Edmonds underwater park are like 50lbs and have a similar prehistoric look to them. Good thing this one was big because i was looking at the 15" limit not the 22"!

I cruise at 3-4mph with a single set of turbo finned GT drive. I have hit 10mph with good wind but that is about the hull speed limit and i was getting good pucker factor as the ama dug into the water .

With a partner I don't see more than 5mph without wind unless we are trying to sprint.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:28 AM   #13
baileybikes

Hi Barky - thanks again for educating me on the ling. The cabezons in puget sound Edmonds underwater park are like 50lbs and have a similar prehistoric look to them. Good thing this one was big because i was looking at the 15" limit not the 22"!

I cruise at 3-4mph with a single set of turbo finned GT drive. I have hit 10mph with good wind but that is about the hull speed limit and i was getting good pucker factor as the ama dug into the water .

With a partner I don't see more than 5mph without wind unless we are trying to sprint.
Old 10-16-2019, 10:37 AM   #14
bertha
Banned

Never had the experience there, but it seemed very interesting
bertha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 09:09 PM   #15
Flounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle_Tomas View Post
I have never sat in PA but I would think that it’s pretty heavy and might be little awkward to get going when launching in surf?Although I saw some guys are using PA in LJ.My 2019 Outback is probably little lighter and also has a ton of storage and it’s very stable. If you want to go little lighter than that maybe try Compass?

I am a PA12 Owner and they are great for LJ since the surf is relatively small compared to most places. I have only not been able to make it out if its 5+ which is rare in LJ. I really enjoy the extra room and will not downgrade until I can no longer handle the size. My average trips are between 8-10+ hours and the chair, ability to move, Sail Skeg wilt sail made it a winner for me. I've been in most of those little cramped kayaks and not a fan after getting spoiled on the advantage seat and ability to move around which means no soreness after a long day like when I had a smaller kayak.
Flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 10:17 AM   #16
baileybikes

This Saturday says 2-3 feet with the primary 2.5' swell at 9 second interval. Is that going to be a challenge with the tandem island?

I haven't tried San Diego Bay yet - I hear the calico are plentiful there but I have no idea...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
I am a PA12 Owner and they are great for LJ since the surf is relatively small compared to most places. I have only not been able to make it out if its 5+ which is rare in LJ. I really enjoy the extra room and will not downgrade until I can no longer handle the size. My average trips are between 8-10+ hours and the chair, ability to move, Sail Skeg wilt sail made it a winner for me. I've been in most of those little cramped kayaks and not a fan after getting spoiled on the advantage seat and ability to move around which means no soreness after a long day like when I had a smaller kayak.