Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2009, 01:34 PM   #21
SESSAGAFF

i dont see a problem with thew length i see

a problem with the hook size and the opeing on the hook i watched a video this dude had to gaff it 3 times before he got it mine is 2 foot flocked grip custom hook with a swinging barb
SESSAGAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 03:00 PM   #22
h2ofishfo

THATS WHY I MASTERED THE ART OF THE GILL GRAB BECAUSE MY HAND COULD NEVER GET LOST IT CAN SWIM & IS FREE ONCE U GET YOUR HAND IN THERE ITS D-U-N
h2ofishfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 08:21 PM   #23
EFISH

I had one that was about 18in. loved it for all the reasons described by D50. Prefect and solid placement every time, (almost every time). I was fishing LJ during a yellowtail run when it happened. Hooked into a nice fish and during it's first run I reached back, got the gaff out placed it in a rod holder behind me and took off the rubber ball that guards the point. Same thing I always do. Got the fish to color after a short fight and reached back for the gaff. OUCH!!!! Put the point right into the back of my hand. The meat part that goes between the thumb and pointer. Just the weight of it was enough to almost go through both sides. That was fun to pull out. Good thing no barb!! Yes I got the fish. My first LJ yellow 19lbs..
You would have thought that would have learned after that. NOPE, about 2 months goes buy the hand heals and I happen upon a wsb bite. Bouncing an iron I get hammered and know i'm on a quality fish, nice 10min fight just to get it's head turned start gaining some line back and get it under me but can't see it. Reach back grab the gaff, put it in the holder with the ball off and go back to fighting the fish. Took a little longer then I thought Oh man toad!!! Spin back to grab the gaff and sure enough in all the excitement I did it again Oh shit this time I put it right into the top of my wrist and into the tendon. About half inch or so. Let out a few choice words, I think I scared the wsb because it went from almost belly up to thrashing up a storm. Pulled the gaff from my wrist and sunk it into my personal best 49.8lbs. The wrist took about 2 1/2 months to heal this time and left some scar tissue. In that time I went out and had a new gaff made, 3 feet which is long enough to snag fish and keep it under control. It also keeps the hook out of my way when I spin for it in the heat of battle. I've been fishing out of my yak for more than 15 years and i've never done that before. Lesson learned before I put one all the way through!!!!!!!
Peace Out
EFISH
EFISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 09:07 PM   #24
Law Hand

Lets see this SESSAGAFF. I see you posting on all the forums but no pics.
Law Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 09:22 AM   #25
SESSAGAFF

just sent out my last 10 on the weeknd making a new batch by this wed

got a bomb ass new camera to so ill have better pics for ya
Old 07-07-2009, 08:41 AM   #26
-scallywag-
Banned

do you really need a gaff to land big fish??? unless im fishing deep in the kelp or for hali's, i leave the extendo gaff at home...i like the challenge and the safety of not having a gaff onboard, i like handling the fish, gently removing the hook and letting them go, or when i do catch that trophey grab it by the gills, slam it on the deck, get it in a figure4 and rip its gills out (big hali;s being the exception)....as for the safety part just look at all those gaffs in the tournament wipe-out photos....scary.
-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 09:04 AM   #27
dorado50

I have brought in both a wsb and yt by the gills and don't ever want to do it again. Really rakes the hands,ok for the moment but next few days not so cool. Not being a fan of long gaffs,I opt for shorter ones,no more than 24" and I perfer the 18" one. Large and long gaffs are a minus imo, just another item to help in the loss of a fish. A shorter gaff gives one much more control over the situation and does not hinder you by getting in the way. Having a gaff on board without a point protecter(rubber tip,cork,whatever)is just plain stupid.Some guys are out there waiting for an accident to happen......
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 05:13 PM   #28
Law Hand

Got tired of waiting, went into garage fired up the HAAS Lathe and made this.

Yes its TITANIUM (shaft, cap, and hook), yes it floats, yes it will never corrode, yes it can be made in just about any length.

http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/o...971/GAFF04.jpg

http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/o...971/GAFF03.jpg

http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/o...971/GAFF02.jpg

Last edited by Law Hand; 07-07-2009 at 05:33 PM.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:21 AM   #29
dorado50

Why would you need lathe? The only way to make this would be, trepan a given diameter or weld titanium sheet. How could this possibly float if you grind ,or use lathe,a solid bar down to smaller dia.???? A solid ti bar is light but will not float! Want to refigure your process and or story so that at least I could understand and hopefully learn something new,thanks.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:41 AM   #30
Law Hand

Its a tube, the caps are turned and threaded; as well as turning the tip on the hook. I also used a fixture to bend the hook. ( I have a lathe, just thought I would have some fun and put it to good use)
Old 07-08-2009, 11:57 AM   #31
dorado50

Yea, thats what I thought. You can't fool a fooler.........
Old 07-08-2009, 12:08 PM   #32
SESSAGAFF

ALL MY GAFFS FLOAT EVEN THE 12 FOOT ONE I MADE

FOR THE RANGER 85 CHARTER IN VENTURA ,CA MY 24'' KAYACK GAFF WEIGHTS OUT TO 5 OZ WITH FLOCKED GRIP ON IT U CANT USE A SOLID PIPE U NEED SOME FLEX IN IT FOR JUKEING IT IN THE WATER
Old 07-08-2009, 01:53 PM   #33
Law Hand

Dave,

What are you talking about? Fool a Fooler? I never said anything about my gaff being a bar. You made the mistake not me. As for my using a lathe, perhaps you would like to come on down yourself and get some CNC lessons.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:12 PM   #34
trob

Send a message via AIM to trob
Quote:
Originally Posted by SESSAGAFF View Post
all titamium mine float no worries about them sinking

just a shade under a year old
Old 07-08-2009, 04:18 PM   #35
eddier68

Made for me by Rik Osani OEX/ SDKA. Badass!!!!!!!! 3 ft.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00404.jpg (69.9 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00407.jpg (73.6 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00408.jpg (84.4 KB, 134 views)
eddier68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 04:25 PM   #36
Law Hand

Quote:
Badass!!!!!!!!

Agreed.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:30 PM   #37
ericko

VERY NICE LOOKING!!!!!!!!
ericko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 05:17 PM   #38
Adam12

Thats a sweet looking gaff, shiny.
Adam12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 06:27 PM   #39
dorado50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law Hand View Post
Dave,

What are you talking about? Fool a Fooler? I never said anything about my gaff being a bar. You made the mistake not me. As for my using a lathe, perhaps you would like to come on down yourself and get some CNC lessons.
just kidding around, But if you re-read your words you used your lathe to create this gaff,probably I'm mistaken again!Besides a lathe is used only for solids,probably not so good with .090 +/- walls. No I would not like to come down for cnc lessons. U probably do cnc work for me anyways...

Last edited by dorado50; 07-08-2009 at 06:40 PM.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:47 PM   #40
dgax65
Guerro Grande

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado50 View Post
Why would you need lathe? The only way to make this would be, trepan a given diameter or weld titanium sheet. How could this possibly float if you grind ,or use lathe,a solid bar down to smaller dia.???? A solid ti bar is light but will not float! Want to refigure your process and or story so that at least I could understand and hopefully learn something new,thanks.
It is a good thing that an expert like Dave is all over this topic. I would hate for anybody to mislead the kayak fishing public about the properties or construction of a titanium gaff. The last thing we need to have in our community is somebody misrepresenting a substandard or non-conforming gaff as a true titanium gaff. That would be terribly unethical. I don't think you could get indicted for something like that, but it is wrong. Thanks again Dave for keeping this forum honest.