Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2013, 08:12 PM   #21
SDROB
Malibu Stealth 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
Sounds like an awesome trip...but...how does he plan on getting all the kayaks and gear to the island....It's not going to be an easy feat unless you have a boat the size of the islander to do it, and I don't think he has one of those does he? If he can make it happen wow! Right time of the year...it could be epic!
I know he owns 2 skipjacks a 24 and a 25 and works with Captain Juan who has a 23ft Parker. I bet they would get a few boats to take you guys to your destination and possibly would have to do it in 2 trips. 3 or 4 yaks per boat maybe 2 on the boat and towing 2. That would be using less gas for them then a normal day of Paddy hopping. We just burned a lot of fuel trolling and paddy hoping.
SDROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 01:11 PM   #22
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
UPDATE, I will be spending a weekend with Tony to see his operation in November, To see San Q and maybe San Martin. If someone wants to come along let me know, will know which weekend soon.

The JUNE trip will start on the 1st of JUNE, and end on the 30th, I will be here the whole month, please feel free to join me and the rest of us anytime in June. A day, a week or whatever you can. Thanks. We might do a overnighter to San Martin if people want to a mothership trip, let me know. Should have pricing for mothership trip next week. And there will be a Halibut Tournament for this trip. More details later this month.

Remember I will also be doing another trip here in August for a week or two for WSB. Tight lines and.......!

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:50 PM   #23
makobob
Baitless on Baja

In doing the research for the San Quintin trips in June and August, ROBMONEY and Makobob will be spending the weekend of 2-3 November in San Quintin. We will be looking at Tony's operation, his boats, and at Isla San Martin, and the cove we would be camping in. We expect to come back with a lot of information about San Quintin and mothership trips to San Martin Island. If you have any special questions you need answered, please contact us before then. Thank you all, and I will post our findings after our return. Tight lines and bloody gaffs!

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 10-23-2013, 12:54 PM   #24
buddha

I am interested in white sea bass.

Please set something up with a mother ship for the best time for those fish.

Thanks.
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:05 PM   #25
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Jeff, you better believe it! Might be for August, but will know better after I get back. BTW do we want to have a tournament for each of these trips, if so how much would you guys want to put in. REMEMBER I am not charging for these trips so all monies would go to winner/winners. AND money would be collected on morning of 1st day of each trip. Or however we decide to set it up.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 11-01-2013, 04:22 PM   #26
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobob View Post
UPDATE, ROBMONEY and Makobob will be in San Quintin this weekend to research Don Eddie's, which is Tony' operation. Tony has a dream to start running mothership trips to San Martin Island in 2014. We want to see if he can do it reasonably and safely!

CONFIRMED JUNE 1st through the 30th. Come join us for the WHOLE time or just bring the wife and kids for a weekend! I will arrive on the 1st of June and leave on the 30th.

We will be fishing one of the best areas at the best season for HALIBUT, also rock cod and lingcod, maybe some WSB and YT. From the beach should still be some perch and halibut for family members. Respond to this thread to join us. Thanks for your support.

EVERYONE is welcome enjoy this trip with us, just post. Tight lines and bloody gaffs!
We will post our findings early next week, about MS trips and any other updates on our trip to San Quintin.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN

Last edited by makobob; 12-03-2013 at 10:40 PM. Reason: update
Old 11-05-2013, 10:52 AM   #27
makobob
Baitless on Baja

This is the latest update for San Quintin AND mothership trips. 11/5/2013

Quote:
MOTHER SHIP TRIPS will be available. Contact Makobob.
Halibut tournament will start on 2 June and end on 29 June. Details to follow.

CONFIRMED JUNE 1st through the 30th. Come join us for the WHOLE time or just bring the wife and kids for a weekend! I will arrive on the 1st of June and leave on the 30th.

We will be fishing one of the best areas at the best season for HALIBUT, also rock cod and lingcod, maybe some WSB and YT. From the beach should still be some perch and halibut for family members. Respond to this thread to join us. Thanks for your support.

We will be able to take up to 4 kayaks with anglers to San Martin Island at a time, with 2 pangas we can take 8 anglers total.......I don't know if I have enough materials to make 3 sleds.
EVERYONE is welcome enjoy this trip with us, just post. Tight lines and bloody gaffs!

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN

Last edited by makobob; 12-03-2013 at 10:44 PM. Reason: update
Old 11-07-2013, 08:48 AM   #28
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Quote:
This if for HALIBUT, however I will also look at Socorro to check out the WSB for August.
I will be home based at Don Eddie's, next door to the Old Mill, hope to see you there!!!

Anglers are:

Wade
Deamon
Jorluivil
Makobob
Dbrogdon5
Baja_Traveler
Jruiz
Rossman
TheBentRod
Easyday
Chuck D
Yakfisher
Drake
Romspacenut
Svendawg
Joctane
Robmoney

EVERYONE is welcome to enjoy this trip with us, just post. Tight lines and bloody gaffs!
This Month long tourmanemt should be lot's of fun. It will be based out of Don Eddie's Landing. All fish will be measured at Don Eddies by myself or hotel management daily between 3pm-8pm. Longest fish will win. More details to follow soon.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN

Last edited by makobob; 12-20-2013 at 09:00 AM. Reason: update
Old 11-11-2013, 09:45 AM   #29
SDROB
Malibu Stealth 12

Wow it looks like this trip is taking off! Way to go Mako Bob. Im leaving on my 10 day trip and we decided to Hit San Martin Island on the way back next week. Im gonna try and take some photos were I think are some possible good campsites for any mothership trips. Ill update when I return.

I'm telling ya, you have to keep these suckers on a game clip until just before you drop them in the frying pan.(Rossman)
Old 11-15-2013, 11:32 AM   #30
yakfisher
Junior

I'll definitely make it down there for this trip and should be able to stay for a long weekend, 3 or 4 days.

Last edited by yakfisher; 11-15-2013 at 11:38 AM.
yakfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:35 AM   #31
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Moon Phase June 2014

Thttp://www.calendar-12.com/moon_calendar/2014/june

Hope this helps you plan your stay in San Quintin.

There are now 14 people signed up for June, YOU still have 6 1/2 months to join us. All are welcome.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN

Last edited by makobob; 11-17-2013 at 11:13 AM.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:25 PM   #32
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Welcome aboard Svendawg! You guys can sign up if you wish to fish this tournament on Wade's CKFS 2014. I will be measuring all keepers at Don Eddie's, right next door to the Old Mill. You must be prepaid no later than the 1st of June. All are welcome to come fish with us during the month of June. No need to be part of the tournament. There are now 15 anglers fishing in June.

Makobob

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 12-20-2013, 08:19 AM   #33
SDROB
Malibu Stealth 12

I just realized I havn't officially signed up for this trip. Mako Bob please sign me up! I will definitely be down their a few times in June. Ill be willing to do one of the Mothership trips for sure!

I'm telling ya, you have to keep these suckers on a game clip until just before you drop them in the frying pan.(Rossman)
Old 12-20-2013, 09:44 AM   #34
jorluivil

Quote:

We will be able to take up to 4 kayaks with anglers to San Martin Island at a time, with 2 pangas we can take 8 anglers total.......I don't know if I have enough materials to make 3 sleds.

Bob, what are we looking at as far as cost?

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 10:04 AM   #35
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Jorluivil, I hope this answers your question, if not let me know. I have one sled almost ready for testing, will try it out after Baja or Bust returns from Asuncion in early January.

Mother ship trips, San Martin Island
Imagine yourself and three friends on your kayaks fishing San Martin Island in Baja. It’s 5am and you are heading out to the island, it can happen. Mini Mother ship trips. You and your yak and buddies delivered to the island. You made bait on the way out, it’s time to fish! It is June and the halibut are hungry. It’s August and the WSB are around. Maybe you just want to fish the lings. Perhaps you and your friends want to target the tuna or YT in the area. Tubers, boarders, these trips might be great for you too!

The concept is to deliver 4 anglers with their kayaks to San Martin Island. Let you fish the day and come back that evening. To start delivery boats will be a panga.
One method of yak delivery will be by racks mounted to the panga. I am also considering a system to tow the kayaks. If you have ever done a river float trip you might be able to picture what I have in mind. A cataraft with a rack for 4 kayaks. This would leave more room in the panga and make it easier to make bait on the way out.

You would drive into San Quintin, swing in to Don Eddie’s, right next to the Old Mill. You get a welcome beer. You stay that night, you get dinner. Next day you fish San Martin. Breakfast is served before you leave, you get a box lunch for your day of fishing. Dinner is served after your day on the water. The next morning after breakfast you head home. It would cost each person in your group of 4 only $160 apiece. Included would be everything except your drinks, fish cleaning and tips.

To stay an extra day, room and food would be $45 a day per person. The panga would be $320 a day split by your group.

This is still in the planning stages. There is a lot of work to be able to make this happen. I am not and will not be involved with this financially. I am helping to get this going so that OUR community can have access to a world class fishery to fish from their kayaks.

If the cataraft towing sled system works out I will DONATE it to Don Eddie’s.

PLEASE help, I NEED to get your input and suggestion NOW, pro and con, this is for all of us! This is just the start of what WE as a community can do. Thank you all for our wonderful community!

Makobob

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 12-20-2013, 11:12 AM   #36
ful-rac
Emperor

Question Bob,

Since I never have fished inside the bay (San Quintin)...where inside the bay is the fishing area? Halibut, Rockcod, Lingcod ,WSB, Yellowtail...? Are those fish in reach of our kayaks from the Old Mill? I wouldn't think they would be...except for halibut...? It looks like a long 10 mile paddle to reach open water from the old mill.
Old 12-20-2013, 12:32 PM   #37
eddier68

Sounds like fun!!!! props to you Makobob for setting this up!!!Would love to join you guys but some buddys an I have something very similar planned for next yr as well. Going to fish another ( island) area though.Did this a few yrs ago and had a great time!!!! We loaded 3 FND's on a panga, very crowded but it got us to our destination. Good luck with your trip. if things change for us I may try to join u guys. Saludos!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 270421_10150214279592035_2929264_n.jpg (58.8 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 264434_10150214280627035_1550023_n.jpg (67.6 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg meyak.jpg (93.2 KB, 35 views)
eddier68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 01:58 PM   #38
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
Question Bob,

Since I never have fished inside the bay (San Quintin)...where inside the bay is the fishing area? Halibut, Rockcod, Lingcod ,WSB, Yellowtail...? Are those fish in reach of our kayaks from the Old Mill? I wouldn't think they would be...except for halibut...? It looks like a long 10 mile paddle to reach open water from the old mill.
San Quintin bay is a estuary like mission bay was before the 1950's. Fish spawn and start growing up there, Bertha Butt spawns inside and outside the bay. I stood outside one morning this November at Don Eddie's and watched small WSB 10"-24" chasing smelt. The bay like Tidelands is loaded with Spotted Bay Bass, and Halibut.
Outside the bay to the north is San Martin island, to the south is an kelpy area called Socorro, which is a PRIME WSB area. Reds, Calicos, Sandys, Ling cod, WSB, YT, tuna, and dorado in season are all in the area outside the bay.
You can drive to and launch from the beaches and paddle/peddle to San Martin or the Socorro area, beach launching can be difficult! There are pangas available as Motherships to transport you to an area for around $320 a day. Hope this helps.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 12-20-2013, 02:21 PM   #39
ful-rac
Emperor

Ok that makes sense, so if we want to catch rockfish, seabass, etc....we have to do a beach launch on the outside, got it.

"Loaded with halibut"....sounds good to me!