Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2010, 05:37 PM   #1
IntrntFshrman

My Journey

So this was about my 4th time out on the kayak at La Jolla-about 2 weeks ago...been waiting on the pics.......... Josh!

It's been an interesting journey to this point for me. Those of you that may have read previous posts by me might remember that I had a great fear of 'toothy critters from the deep' caused by my childhood scarring from seeing Jaws in a drive-thru (That shark must have been twice as big as a normal theater!)

I had a deep love of fishing when I was younger, but it was put on hold by school/work/$$$ until everything started coming together a few years ago and some coworkers invited me on a cattleboat. No tuna/ghost/YT love that trip, but man, the magic of San Clemente Island at dawn......all the obsessive/dreaming ideas from childhood came back in a flood.

I was hooked again.

MANY $$$ later and some nice Avets/rods I'm in the backyard casting (trying at least) and trying to improve. I then happen on this website and start reading about what we all do here. I was lurking more than the ghosts we try to catch! I finally got some advice from some great people here and was finally going to go out with Whizz Bang (Eric) and I kid you not, I'm eating with my family at the fish restaurant next to Bass Pro Shops the night before the trip and my youngest boy projectile vomits and gets a 103 fever....(we still need to go out together Eric, I owe you one!!!)

I finally start reading all about Josh Pruitt and I finally call him and we talk about stuff. As others have stated, he goes over anything and everything with you to make sure you're ready to go. Professional, committed, passionate, energetic, enthusiastic, determined. These are the words that come to mind when I think of him. (and a HELL of a fisherman!!!)

Our first outing was almost a blur to me. So much info, and I'm just dealing with my fears of 'what's underneath'. I'm paddling in my X-Factor and seeing everybody else (mostly everybody) peddling....the doubts start to creep in....maaaaaybe this peddling thing might be better? Got some Bonito bites that day, but no love....I am, however, completely hooked. I know what Alcoholics/Gambleholics (is that a word?) feel like!

2nd trip out, we're sight fishing for ghosts. Now I get seasick pretty bad IF I can't see the horizon, so staring into the water I wasn't sure. Well, I find out for sure that not only is Dramamine no good, Bonine doesn't do the trick for me either. By 5pm, I'm barely holding on and tell poor Josh I have to go back in....... I IMMEDIATELY contact my doctor and say I want patch Scopace, pill Scopace, gum Scopace, syringe Scopace, ....did I say I was going to get some SCOPACE!

3rd trip out, night fishing. Now let me tell you....for a guy that had a phobia about sharks to go out AT NIGHT and fish on a piece of plastic....I felt like I had conquered the world. It was surreal to be looking down in that water and seeing the bioluminescence as fish swirled around. Seeing Josh hook AND release a 55+ lb WSB was an awesome thing. If I thought the 'light show' was cool out fishing, it was nothing to when we were paddling in. I felt like I was in the planet Pandora in Avetar-wow, what an experience. Josh is wanting to stay longer but I have to call it off---got a two hour drive back home….

So, 4th time out, and I feel like I'm finally not a stumbling/drooling total noob. I'm riding in a Pro Angler and oh man, it's like a Ferrari vs. the horse and buggy…no offense to paddlers, but i'm a big boy, and I just couldn't keep up paddling vs peddling. We head out to where we're fishing. Josh gets us in 'the spot'. We get some squid and settle in. Was that a bite? Tip of the pole bends…am I on? Now the entire rod bends FISH ON!!! I'm about 100 yds from the Kelp…this fish is taking my big butt AND the Pro Angler to the forest. For a brief instant, I'm holding the rod and thinking 'I don't know if I can handle this much power!!' then we gradually make some headway only to get tangled in the kelp. Oh-oh, well, Spectra gets to work and we get him up, 4 inches at a time…we finally see the fluoro leader and still can't see the fish! He's got to be there…the leader's only 4 feet long….pull, pull, pull…I finally see his head come through a mass of Kelp, perfectly placed gaff from Josh….31 1/2 lbs of the most beautiful Yellowtail I've seen….(my mouth starts watering thinking about EATING that most beautiful fish as well!)

We get back to work….I'm on cloud nine, but am thinking 'man, If only I can get one more, then I can go back home and do the >'honey I've just got TOOOOO much fish here, we're going to have to buy a freezer for the garage'<.

Not much longer, there's that hit again….bendo, fish on again!!!! FREEZER TIME, nope, don't think that, jinx the landing!!!! I feel the head shakes, Josh again immediately ids the fish, this time WSB….I'm feeling a little better about landing this time. He doesn't head for the kelp….up a foot, up a foot. I see him on the surface..it's like in slow motion/mind burning in the image for long term memory…amazing WSB. 43 and change lbs….. I am astonished at the fish and have an amazing feeling of calm and contentment come to me...

I was a lurker for a long time on this site before I started 'mingling'. To those of you that have thought about hiring Josh but just haven't pulled the trigger, DO IT! You will have an AMAZING time with a guide that is totally committed to you catching fish. He will bend over backwards for you to get that fish of a lifetime. My only worry now is where do I go from up?

Thanks, Josh, for the amazing ride. It's been such a journey, in many ways, and I look forward to many more!

Pics below. Check out Josh's YT. That was caught on the SABIKI!!!!
Attached Images

IntrntFshrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 06:25 PM   #2
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

I just love reading these stories. It goes without saying that Josh is pretty good at his job. I am more impressed by the effort you put in to get past your fears and become comfortable with the ocean.

As long as you make sure that you show Mom Nature appropriate respect, the ocean can be a wonderful place if you give it a chance.

Congratulations on your trophy fish along with the journey you took that allowed you to catch them. I look forward to meeting you on the water one of these days.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 06:28 PM   #3
deepdvr

Well done Mike!!!! Man you could be Josh's brother by those photos.

Maybe I need to grow a beard to get on some good fish like you guys...nevermind I couldn't grow one in college, doubt it will happen now.
deepdvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:14 PM   #4
blitzburgh

Congrats! Nice feeeeeesh!!!
blitzburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:52 PM   #5
aftahour

nice going and wtg josh
aftahour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:45 AM   #6
umtduckhead

congrats...
umtduckhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:52 PM   #7
Oolie
Headshots Only

big momma sea bass.

congrats on the near slam!
Oolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 03:27 PM   #8
ken aguilar

wow those are big fish! NICE
ken aguilar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 10:35 PM   #9
Whizz Bang

Congrats!

Well done Mike, good to see you over the fear and with 70 something lbs of fish to boot. We will definitely get out on the water and give you a taste of what many LJ trips are like, countless miles covered and an empty ice chest
Whizz Bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:21 PM   #10
THE DARKHORSE

08-13-2009, 02:46 PM #1
mikecollins86

Thoughts on rod lengths/cheaper reels for yakking

Hi everyone.

I finally got my 'yaks (two malibu x-factors) and am slowly getting used to paddling/safety issues by going out to Puddingstone lake in San Dimas, CA with my 4 and 6 year old boys with my wife...very cool indeed!

My question is to rod lengths for when I finally get the balls to head out to La Jolla (I think I'll hit some of the local bays first before I take that plunge!)

I've read many articles on here and it seems that most people were recommending longer rods to go around the 'yak. My logic, however, is that it would be better to have shorter, more powerful ones to get the fish up faster as well as having them closer to you for gaff.

Having not actually caught anything off the yak yet, is it really bad if you can't get your line around the bow? To me, it seemed like you could just pull your rod perpendicular to the yak, I mean, how much angle can they really get on you?

Please explain if I'm thinking about it wrong...at any rate, I got a great deal on some Seeker American Series rods that are a little shorter (5-6.5 feet) that I think will make great rods for the yak.

After reading about the wear and tear, I'm also reluctant to put my avets on there as well, any suggestions? I have a TLD-30 I might make my 'kelp cutter' rig. What would be a good surface iron reel? I saw some recent posts about the Shimano 6500B spinning reel (I have this) and since you let the yak go for a ride anyways, I figured this might be a good choice for accuracy.

Thanks for any info!

08-13-2009, 05:36 PM #4
mikecollins86

Do you guys like the 4.9 or 6.1 ratios? Thanks for the help!

mikecollins86

Hey CJ! Don't know if you remember me, I'm the guy you helped put the Thule racks on the van, then needed longer straps. The straps worked perfectly! I'm taking the stock straps that came with the thule racks and using them to bind the two yaks together to make it even more stable. Ended up not doing the ones to the front and back like you said.

So I'm thinking get a 4.9 for bait fishing, 6.1 to throw irons. I have a SWEET 9' Seeker UULA I bought a month ago, but would be afraid to bring it on the yak for throwing irons.

What do you guys think about the Shimano 6500b baitrunner spinning reel I have for throwing iron? I was thinking of putting a little heavy mono to start (so the spectra won't cut into the spool) then spectra, then a top shot.

Lastly, I've read about the 'kelp cutters' but what about throwing irons close to the kelp, should these be 'kelp cutters' also? Wouldn't it be a drag though with just a few feet of fluorocarbon to change irons? I know you're not supposed to use swivels, what about putting a swivel at the end of the spectra, then your 3-4 feet of fluoro, so that when you've run out, you just tie on another few feet. What do you guys think?

Thanks!

mikecollins86

Do you run into problems with the kelp doing that? (too much mono/fish runs into kelp) Or do you use really heavy mono when using irons?

Thanks.

mikecollins86
View Public Profile
Send a private message to mikecollins86
Find More Posts by mikecollins86

mikecollins86

Man, such awesome responses...I love this community!!

I guess I have to come clean with you guys...

I have a bit of a shark phobia, goes WAYYYYY back to seeing Jaws when I was 11...that's what's making me be chicken s--t to go out. I read about the attack on TWO kayakers off malibu in 1989 and it's really spooked me. I know all the facts/figures but couple this attack with the recent 'upending' of that lady off Catalina (man, that could have been REALLY bad) and I'm just kind of paralyzed to go out there. Also, I'm not a veteran fisherman from the boats moving to a yak, I'm a noob period. I'm afraid of getting out there and doing something really stupid....sooooooooo I guess I'm kinda asking if there's a Sunday in the next few weeks when somebody(s) would like to head out there? I live in Rancho Cucamonga and could get up as early as needed to get to La Jolla (I figure that's the candy store right now, yes?)

Thanks again guys for all the GREAT advice. I hadn't even thought about the spectra backlashes...I'm getting better casting my avets, but am still pretty green. I think straight 40 mono for my 2 speed SX will be the way to go for the 'iron launcher'. Same for the bait rig, for now. I have to admit, I'm a little afraid to bring the 9' out there just yet. It is a BEAUTIFUL set up (maroonish ultra seeker with matching red sx 2 speed---I got my wife to 'allow' it since I switched jobs to be closer to home!!!) and I wouldn't want it to go over.

Lastly, how hard is it to get back on the boat? I'm a big 320 6'3" guy and am a little concerned about that. I think I'll practice it out at Puddingstone b4 I go out. Don't have the balls to actually do it in the ocean!

Again, my sincere thanks to you all for helping me out!

mike collins

mikecollins86

Sorry guys, I meant I have a JX two speed...

mikecollins86

thanks guys!

Thanks everybody for the encouragement, pms and offers. I just started back to school (I teach band so I have no life....) so I don't have much time right now, but I plan on taking one of those guided tours in the fall to go lobster hooping at night and I will DEFINITELY take you guys up on your offers to go out next summer. I'd like to go out on a guided class with Jim Sammons or one of the guys here before I start going out on my own or even with you guys so I don't do 'stupid noob mistake #1,2,3,4,.......'

I'm starting to feel a little better about the shark thing...I still creep out when I see all the pictures of guys holding their fish with their legs dangling in the water though!!

Also, regarding the original issues, I think my Seeker american series rods will do great for the yak. I have 3 jx 2 speeds plus my sx for calicos so I think I'm set.

Last question to you guys though, what are your thoughts on sabiki rigs? It sounds cool to actually get one of those Ahi rigs that OEX cuts down, but I've read of people actually getting hooked up with big fish while making bait...it sounds kind of scary to get hooked up with something like that. Could you get pulled in ont the sabiki rig? I have two nice little trout spinning rods I use for fresh water (4lb test) that I think would do the job nicely, but messily (all the sabiki hooks dangling around)

Anybody have ideas on which is better, how you do it?

Again, thanks for all the great ideas, encouragement...I was tempted to hit you guys up to go out Labor Day weekend, but chickened out and am going out on the Seahorse with some noob friends for an overnighter....plus, I'm 320lbs and REALLY want to be able to get around my stomach (as in see it disappear!) before I trust going out on the open ocean. It's hard for me to open the hatch below me because of my 'Round Table Pizza/Burrito Belly'...

Thanks, again!

Mike in Rancho Cucamonga

mikecollins86

Excited

Guys, I'm so excited at going out tomorrow! Eric is going out today so I'll know how things are biting soon. With the intense heat, I'm hoping the water heats up and we see some action.

With things being so warm, do you guys think swim trunks and a decent shirt/hat/good sunblock is enough? How much water do you bring on board? I was thinking of going to bass pro shops (closest thing to me...no 'oex-type' places I know of nearby) to get some yakking clothes, but I don't just want to run out and buy any old thing if trunks/what I have will work in this weather.

Also, I don't think I can stay the entire day so exposure shouldn't be a big issue.

Any last minute advice? I'm thinking of bringing the following:

LX 6.01 40lb straight mono/matched calstar rod--bait rig/yo-yo jig rig.

JX 2 speed spectra backing but 90-100yds 40lb top shot matching seeker american series rod--surface jig. The rod is only 6 1/2 feet long but I really don't want to bring my 9' ULUA super seeker on the first trip to take a dump and lose it or something else...

SX 15lb mono seeker matched blue series for calicos/bonito.

I have one of those Sabiki rods but don't want the hassle of putting the SX on/off it so I think I'll bring a little 4lb test trout spinning rod I have.

I figure this is enough for first time, no? I have weights/hooks/Tady 45s in a few colors and the Tady surface ones as well. I have some jig baits as well for calicos.

The only thing I'm wondering is will the trout sabiki be a big hassle on the yak? Should I get a cheap little newell or something to put on it? Or even duct tape the spinning reel to it?

Can't wait!!!!

mikecollins86

Last question:

Do you guys tie your gear on before heading out (jig/hooks/weight) or wait til you get out there? I would figure it's cool to troll while you're paddling out there, but have no idea how far it is to the kelp...is it just a 100 yards or so, or much further?

Thanks!

mikecollins86

I lied...REAL last question: do you guys have a good address handy that the GPS on my car will put me close to the La Jolla launch? I'm assuming the launch is the same as the camera on this site? Also, where do you park after that? Will I need quarters/cash for parking?

Thanks!

THE DARKHORSE

Just do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecollins86
Hi everyone.

I finally got my 'yaks (two malibu x-factors) and am slowly getting used to paddling/safety issues by going out to Puddingstone lake in San Dimas, CA with my 4 and 6 year old boys with my wife...very cool indeed!

Fantastic iron platform, great boat!

My question is to rod lengths for when I finally get the balls to head out to La Jolla (I think I'll hit some of the local bays first before I take that plunge!)

The bay's cool and all, but this is peak season for big fish...a.k.a. easy fishing for Yellowtail. Get the balls to fish La Jolla? There's no surf 90% of the time and the X-Factor is great in the surf. La Jolla's just like the bay...with giant fish . My advice would be to fish the bay when the weather doesn't permit fishing the ocean: heavy rain with 25 mph wind.

I've read many articles on here and it seems that most people were recommending longer rods to go around the 'yak. My logic, however, is that it would be better to have shorter, more powerful ones to get the fish up faster as well as having them closer to you for gaff.

Shorter rods have better leverage, yep, it's true.

Having not actually caught anything off the yak yet, is it really bad if you can't get your line around the bow? To me, it seemed like you could just pull your rod perpendicular to the yak, I mean, how much angle can they really get on you?

No need to have a rod long enough to go around the bow. My favorite rod for yo-yo iron is 5' long (rated 30-80 lb), or 5' short I should say. This rod has caught tons of giant Yellowtail and I never even thought of trying to cross sides of the kayak in the heat of battle, absolutely no need. Just point the rod straight down if the fish runs to the other side at color or gaff and the kayak will swing accordingly, easy!

Please explain if I'm thinking about it wrong...at any rate, I got a great deal on some Seeker American Series rods that are a little shorter (5-6.5 feet) that I think will make great rods for the yak.

Those are perfect for a kayak, stainless guides, lifetime blank warranty, nuff said.

After reading about the wear and tear, I'm also reluctant to put my avets on there as well, any suggestions? I have a TLD-30 I might make my 'kelp cutter' rig. What would be a good surface iron reel? I saw some recent posts about the Shimano 6500B spinning reel (I have this) and since you let the yak go for a ride anyways, I figured this might be a good choice for accuracy.

Sounds like you have everything you need already. Use your brand new jig-stick, that's what it's for. If you can cast a 9' rod with the best of them from the bow of a sportie, then you can cast with the best of them sitting down. On the other hand, if you just have a beautiful jig-stick and can't cast for crap from the bow of a sportie, then you'll still cast like crap from a kayak . Not bringing your jig-stick would be like telling your dog you're going for a walk, then getting out his leash and going on a walk by yourself . I've never owned rod leashes, but if your concerned they're great until you gain a little confidence...especially with nice gear. You don't need to go buy crap gear to fish off a kayak, you control the wear and tear, right? The X-Factor is a stable/dry ride and if you want to be 100% sure about those clean Avets, and I'm sure you do, it's really not a big deal. Just don't bolt them on, this makes for an easy breakdown outside the surf, wrap them in a towel to prevent scratching, then put them inside a dry bag when you come in, easy!

Thanks for any info!

I can see the post now: "My first Yellowtail from the kayak"...just do it!

Like many others before him, Mike joined the kayak community with questions a plenty .

And I'll go ahead and thank the kayak community for answering 90% of his questions before we met. This allowed me to concentrate on the task at hand---the simple things---finding fish and keeping the line tight when Mike got his shot.

After a brutal fight, complete with heavy kelpage--- a trophy Yellowtail smiled for the camera.

Like many before him, Mike put his 'fear of the unknown' aside and made a decision to, well, 'just do it!'---and did everything perfect when he got his shot. Twice!
Old 07-22-2010, 07:06 PM   #11
yakrider

unreal!
I have to say I am a little envious!
awesome day you had there!!!
yakrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 09:53 PM   #12
trophyyride
Junior

Nice! Congratulations! I love your fish. It's really big!
trophyyride is offline   Reply With Quote