Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2014, 07:59 PM   #1
VINNYC
VINNY

Great White Attack

So had a crazy day on the water on friday. I witnessed an 18 to 20 foot great white breach out of the water right next to me on my buddy. The shark launched the kayak and my buddy over ten feet in the air like on Air Jaws. This crazy 40 sec felt like for ever. I did not have the go pro on and did not get pics due to having to react and get Ryan out of the water. We did have an earlier bite to a Hobie Pro Angler that threw a bran new angler off of it. I want to throw you guys some things we learned from encounter.

Rules to follow

1. If there is a first attack, its time for everyone to come in. They are unpredictable

2. Always stay Calm in all situations

3. Always have your Marine Radio. Also know how to use it. Be calm

4. Never go without a buddy

5. Stick together as much as you can, even 5ft of distance can mean you getting launched in the air

6. Do not leave your fish hanging over the edge

7. After you have been attacked, stay calm on the radio so you can give clear directions.

These above items were in place during our attack. We had all these things, unfortunately we have planned on great whites being in our fishing grounds but had not planned on seeing what we saw. Always plan on the unplanned. I hope that makes sense. The three of us on the second attack were first responders at for work careers and im not sure if we can credit that or not but there was no time for shock. We had a guy in the water and he needed to get. We pulled Ryan out of the water onto my kayak and there was still no relief due to the fact we didn't know when the GW would be back. I hope you guys can learn from our experience.
Attached Images

VINNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 08:06 PM   #2
ful-rac
Emperor

Pretty crazy there vinny!

So is uh jurassic park norte closed for the season?
Old 10-06-2014, 08:10 PM   #3
Vikingj

Be calm? Is that even possible? Were was the attack in Central Calif ? Glad no one was injured.
Vikingj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 08:10 PM   #4
VINNYC
VINNY

negative

But I will be taking the boat out for yellows instead of the yak. I will wait till after october to yak that spot again since thats the golden month

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
Pretty crazy there vinny!

So is uh jurassic park norte closed for the season?
Old 10-06-2014, 08:11 PM   #5
chris138
donkey roper

Holy smokes!! I heard about this incident Saturday. So everyone is ok??

I case some people don't know, October is by far the most active time of year for GWS attacks in CA. A surfer was also attacked this weekend near pt conception. The most recent fatal attack in SD was also in October. Stay frosty!
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 08:12 PM   #6
VINNYC
VINNY

It occured just North of the boat house at Vandenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by VINNYC View Post
But I will be taking the boat out for yellows instead of the yak. I will wait till after october to yak that spot again since thats the golden month
Attached Images

Old 10-06-2014, 08:14 PM   #7
VINNYC
VINNY

OOps I forgot a tidit

There was a 28 year old surfer from the same area attacked just ten miles north from our spot at Vandenberg the day before less then 24 hours. So yes three attacks in less then 24 hours

Quote:
It occured just North of the boat house at Vandenberg
Old 10-06-2014, 08:15 PM   #8
FISH11

It is so hard to imagine what is worse to get launched 10 feet in the air and be saved by your buddies or be the buddy 10 feet behind and see the kayak get launched with your buddy on top and get to see the massive Great White directly in front. To experience the girth and power, let alone get to see the teeth of that open mouth. I hope to never experience either. Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-06-2014, 08:19 PM   #9
VINNYC
VINNY

true

I wasn't even 5 feet away to Ryan on his left side. Had I been on the other side of Ryan it would have landed on me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH11 View Post
It is so hard to imagine what is worse to get launched 10 feet in the air and be saved by your buddies or be the buddy 10 feet behind and see the kayak get launched with your buddy on top and get to see the massive Great White directly in front. To experience the girth and power, let alone get to see the teeth of that open mouth. I hope to never experience either. Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-06-2014, 08:23 PM   #10
chris138
donkey roper

After an attack in western oz last week, the local authorities issued a green light on the killing of the "rogue" sharks which took off both arms of a local surfer. It's sad that they have to resort to killing the sharks so that people can feel some sort of justice or security.

It's their ocean after all, and it has been for hundreds of millions of years. Glad no one was hurt.
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 03:24 AM   #11
JDW

Thanks for the post, 10 feet in the air sounds like getting hit bit a car! I'm glad you guys were there to help and were able to keep calm. It's surprising that Ryan doesn't have a sore back.
JDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 04:27 AM   #12
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDW View Post
Thanks for the post, 10 feet in the air sounds like getting hit bit a car! I'm glad you guys were there to help and were able to keep calm. It's surprising that Ryan doesn't have a sore back.
CAR??? ...I was thinking moe along the lines of a Polaris/Trident missile. A kayak (Outback) being "Launched" about 10' into the air is almost hard to fathom given the weight of the Kayak, fisherman and gear carried (Over 100+#'s? That shark must have one heck of a bruised nose)!
I'm not going to name names but last week someone called me out as "over-reacting" to the Hammerhead incidents in S.D. (and if I'm not mistaken, they are more unpredictable than GW's) by wanting to build a "TASER" for sharks.
I'm just glad the kayaker was OK and my concerns for the surfer that was attacked.
FFY

Last edited by FlyFishinYakr; 10-07-2014 at 04:58 AM.
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 05:14 AM   #13
alfsteur

wow.... amazing story... despite the deterrence.... I'm sure some of us are still thinking "hey swells look small this weekend, let's go get some yellows!"
alfsteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:12 AM   #14
blitzburgh

HOLY $HIT VINNY!

Glad you guys are OK!
Old 10-07-2014, 07:12 AM   #15
The pelican

Best kayak fishing story ever! Although I'm sure you didn't feel that way at the time. So glad you lived to tell the tale and hopefulyl fish another day.

In June I had a close up encounter with a curious GWS in LJ. About 14-15 feet and it didn't actually make contact with my yak. It just cruised up to me, checked me out and thought about taking a little taste for a few seconds. I didn't move and it lost interest. Definitely not an ambush/attack. Just a curious shark. A couple takeaways - Those things are girthy and the eyes are way bigger than I realized! Shark week is awesome but they look so much fatter up close and personal.

A buddy told me a story about being thrown out of his yak in LJ a few years ago by a white. It made a run at him from below, and must have turned at the last minute when it realized he wasn't a seal. Again, the shark didn't make contact with his kayak but a big animal moving so fast displaces a lot of water. This guy got thrown up into the air and out of his yak by just the rush of water from the shark turning under him to avoid him at the last minute. I believe his story, as he's not the type to make something like that up and he spends a ton of time on the water.

I can only imagine how terrifying it was to get attacked like that and how high you must have flown out of the water. 19-20 feet is HUGE!
The pelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:12 AM   #16
paddle man

RULE #8 THEN GO HOME AND CLEAN THE CRAP OUT OF YOUR PANTS
paddle man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:29 AM   #17
ashmoz

h.o.l.y s.h.iiiiiiiii.t!
ashmoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 08:24 AM   #18
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Quote:
I wasn't even 5 feet away to Ryan on his left side. Had I been on the other side of Ryan it would have landed on me.
I watched shark week a while back and one of the things I learned is that, Sharks do not want to get hurt while breaching. The shark did not want to land on another kayak, so not doubt landing in the open water was intentional while avoiding other kayaks.

I wonder if hobie will give him a free replacement.... at the very least.

I think that is a very good reason to quit Kayak fishing if you ever needed a reason.

I will not be going out in the area if I hear there has been a first attack!

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 11:03 AM   #19
Smthtnnr
Fishing Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The pelican View Post
Best kayak fishing story ever! Although I'm sure you didn't feel that way at the time. So glad you lived to tell the tale and hopefulyl fish another day.

In June I had a close up encounter with a curious GWS in LJ. About 14-15 feet and it didn't actually make contact with my yak. It just cruised up to me, checked me out and thought about taking a little taste for a few seconds. I didn't move and it lost interest. Definitely not an ambush/attack. Just a curious shark. A couple takeaways - Those things are girthy and the eyes are way bigger than I realized! Shark week is awesome but they look so much fatter up close and personal.

A buddy told me a story about being thrown out of his yak in LJ a few years ago by a white. It made a run at him from below, and must have turned at the last minute when it realized he wasn't a seal. Again, the shark didn't make contact with his kayak but a big animal moving so fast displaces a lot of water. This guy got thrown up into the air and out of his yak by just the rush of water from the shark turning under him to avoid him at the last minute. I believe his story, as he's not the type to make something like that up and he spends a ton of time on the water.

I can only imagine how terrifying it was to get attacked like that and how high you must have flown out of the water. 19-20 feet is HUGE!
Haha I remember that day! That was gnarly... didn't even have to see it to get my blood pumping.
Smthtnnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 04:22 PM   #20
StinkyMatt

Rule #1

Do not let your wife see this post.

StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote