Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2005, 10:23 AM   #1
vellocity

9.8.05 AM La Jolla

saw another ski at the ramp, WHAT?
ohh, it's JimmH and his set up!! cool! told him we were late as we should be out there already..

same deal as yesterday AM
early puddlers, casted the 7X, no love.. threw a spanish at them, no love?? hmmmmmm?
heard of some fish inside of me so i headed in towards the inside...
was going to change my jig back to a megabait when Arne told me otherwise..
around 7am saw some footprints between Arne and I, got a shot in and small birdnest on the landing.. ahhhh screw it, i'm winding over it, few swirls and hookup! had to button the drag down and force him in so he wouldn't take line out back to the bird nest!!! oppps! ops: whatever works i say! he looked about 20# or just under, he had no chance on 40#izor on my jigstick!

that was pretty much it for me..
good to hear and see everyone.. a slew of fish came up and i'm sure alot of stories to come..
vellocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 12:22 PM   #2
Dennis

Nelz,
Thanks again for the fish. Mucho karma for you. I'll email you the pictures.

I had a nice size fish hooked up. Head thumpin' and everything. I got kelped, and thats where it stayed.. Broke off. Damn, I knew I should of used my spectra. We took 3 wakes to the stern during the fight, and took in a lot of water. That Pber was going pretty fast. We saw him gunning towards us, but it looked like he slowed down... not slow enough. I hope that genius didn't create too much of a wake for you guys. As we heading south I made sure to pass him, get his numbers and tell him to slow down. Seems like he didn't care.

Arne- Nice to hear from you. Did you end up with one?

See you guys on the water,
Dennis
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 12:43 PM   #3
madscientist

My morning was full of missed opportunities and photo biyatching. Will post pics tonight for Arne and Lamb-inator. Fun group this morning and enough action to keep it interesting, just couldn't get one to stick. Did see a couple nice YT swim by off the hotel as I was headed in, but they ignored my bait and rapala. Gonna rest/repair up tomorrow for a long weekend session.
madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 01:09 PM   #4
Arne

Hey Dennis - nice job on staying afloat. I watched that pber drive by while you were on the fish - thought he might have spooked the fish but he sure had you rockin' and a rollin'.

I got one real early (6am) while trying to find bait with Brad. Big swirls with one fin breaking the surface - threw my white 7x with 30# at them and I was on. Had me spinning in circles with my sabiki rig out and a bait fish trailing as well. What a mess, but fun all the same. A 20# YT and four spanish macs hit the deck. After that there was lots of paddling, throwing iron, with some followers, but nothing stuck. I paddled over 4 or 5 YT boils - I think they were sleeping just below the surface and I woke them up. One group was right at the reserve line on my way in. Definitely a miss and hit morning.

Cool morning, no fog, and nice cloud cover - looked like the swell jumped up a bit too. Thanks for the pic Brad. I owe you one. Good luck out there - Arne
Arne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 01:57 PM   #5
Iceman
Administrator

I second Brad's "fun group" comment. Seemed like the fish were spread out. No upgrade for me. Had a 10 pounder eat a 10" greenback. He did not stand a chance :roll: with the 40# spectra. Fall fishing at it's finest. We own "The Pond"
Old 09-08-2005, 02:02 PM   #6
Jimm H

Nelz

Nice job on the fish! I had a guy meet me at the Dana launch to buy my Onno paddle (thanks, John)... and that put me about 10 minutes behind you... just enough to miss your hook-up.

I did get the one shot on the bucktail... cast it out and set it down for a moment with the drag set light to get a spanish out, and when I look at it its taking line! Right into the kelp. Felt the head shakes, worked it for 30 minutes for an eventual breakoff.

Good to watch you in action... I've got to change some techniques to better suit the PWC.
Jimm H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 02:32 PM   #7
twinfin

9/8 long lunch break

Congrats to those who scored this morning!!!

Lunch: boss and I tandem'd out to the corner and back with spanish adrift for nada. That current pulling south made for a brutal paddle back in. Paddling against that make for horrible bait presentation too. Had a few seaguls alerting us to our skipping bait.....my boss is working on his first yellow, so i was bait and front paddling beotch while he minded two trolling sticks. Had one super scared bait at one point which got my boss all jazzed (kind of like a fire drill), but nothing more than little flurry.....he'll get his soon....

That's it, Dan
twinfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 03:19 PM   #8
tattuna

Got a late launch around 7:30, heard the chatter of fish being caught on the radio while I was making bait. Paddled out to see most people were heading in. Stuck it out til 12:00 por nada! Got dumped on the landing. Surf was small so I wasn't concerned, but before I landed I saw alot of big sharks cruising 20 yards off shore. Zoned out trying to figure out what they were, next thing I know I'm rolling! It was cool though, did'nt lose anything, and the water felt good after the paddle in. Guess they turned out to be leopards. Second time I've dumped from paying attention to things other than the water! Did'nt get totally skunked, caught this fat guy while making bait

Not what I was lookin for though. Next trip I'm taking Gabes advice and leaving the night before and sleep in my truck to get an early start. We just don't get them damn yellers up here in the L.A. area like you guys!
tattuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 04:00 PM   #9
lamb

Got stuck last night with my best man. I was late again… Made it to Shores at around 6:00 AM.

Small surf, hardly any wind. It didn’t seem as lively as it was on Monday. The current was ripping, hardly any kelp on the surface. Water seemed warmer, blue/greenish and clear. It didn't seem as fishy as on Monday, but the tails are definitely there.

Around 7:30 or so, as I ran into Brad little south past ½, my spanish got picked up. The fish fought pretty strange, kept running on the surface and changing direction. Got me hoping it was maybe a C-lamb but nah, I gaffed 10# yeller. The drag was set way too tight for him, it figures.

Not a long after, picked up 4# babytail. Tried interrogating him, but he wouldn't say where his mother was. :cry: He was hooked in the corner of the mouth so I cut him loose.

Later on, I had something nicer pick up my Spanish, and then spit the hook after 30 sec run.

On our way back, while dragging the biggest Spanish I had, I got picked up gooood. Set the hook, strong run…. I was on for about 20 secs and – pop! The line broke at the knot. Damn, made me regret I dropped down to 20# test floro leader, dreaming of Clamb. It may as well have been. I’ve been deep inside, trolling in 65’. Let’s not talk about that. I actually think it was a seal.

Surf a bit bigger, bit still nothing. Landed dry – again!!! I may consider not stashing my rods one of these days…

Beautiful day at LJ. Got to meet few more faces from people that paddle team – Gabe, Dan… Nice to meet you all in person!

We DID own the pond today, it was pretty cool. We really had it covered. Good seeing ya’ all otw!!!
Old 09-08-2005, 04:31 PM   #10
vellocity

i think every inch of water was COVERED this morning!

here's the photo that Dennis took for me... hope you guys enjoy the fish! you guys earned it with 4 anglers in a tin can for 2 early mornings in a row!! you'll get one next time on the dark blue yak!!
Old 09-08-2005, 09:01 PM   #11
madscientist

Here's the promised pics. Arne, PM me your email if you want the originals and others. Congrats again guys. Hope I have the pleasure of sharing the water with such a great bunch soon. See whoever is out Sat. Adi, are you on plastic this weekend or lambcrew (if the latter, I'll bring some TP for you guys in addition to the beer :lol ?

Here's the sight fishing king:

and the lamb-inator:

Cheers!
Old 09-09-2005, 08:39 AM   #12
Arne

I highly recommend wearing a head lamp when it's light out - helps with the sightfishing and may prevent JimmH from running you over. Thanks for the pic Brad - guess I need to go back to posing school, eh? :roll:
Arne
Arne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 09:06 AM   #13
madscientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arne
I highly recommend wearing a head lamp when it's light out - helps with the sightfishing and may prevent JimmH from running you over. Thanks for the pic Brad - guess I need to go back to posing school, eh? :roll:
Arne
You're welcome (and that was the best of the bunch :lol: ). At least the headlamp doesn't look like its on like it was the time I encountered you up north :lol: . Posing aside, I'm nowhere near the photobiyatch that Ken is, let alone Pat :P . They seem to have a good eye for aestetics. BTW, has anyone seen Mr. Holmes?
Old 09-09-2005, 09:48 AM   #14
hubz
Junior

Quote:
... BTW, has anyone seen Mr. Holmes?
It's marlin season. You won't see him until November.
hubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 03:55 PM   #15
Jimm H

About poor Pat

Pat is out of circulation for a while with a recurrence of mono...

Arne: I wouldn't run you over EVER (without just cause, anyway!) I wouldn't even run Brad over... okay, maybe I actually would.
Jimm H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 04:08 PM   #16
madscientist

Re: About poor Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimm H
Arne: I wouldn't run you over EVER (without just cause, anyway!) I wouldn't even run Brad over... okay, maybe I actually would.
And the last words you'd hear before the heavy iron knocked you in the head would be "What a putz!" :lol:

Bummer to hear about Pat. I thought he looked a little worn out at the BBQ. I was hoping he just had found a hard-lovin woman.
Old 09-09-2005, 07:09 PM   #17
gabe

Adi and tattuna,

It was nice meeting you guys in person as well. I think I might take my own advice and sleep in my truck next time. I can't seem to gett here early enough. Anyways, might see you guys fishing there on sunday

gabe
gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 10:52 PM   #18
vellocity

i wouldn't egg JimmH on.. :shock:
he's got 155 horsepower in between his legs now and he's well capable of SPRAYING any one of YOU shit talkers!!! haha! and he fishes weekdays too now so no one is safe from his wrath!!!

i have to say that the other morning Jim forgot to take off his trailer straps and waded into the COLD waist deep water at 530am to take it off after he'd already backed the trailer/truck deep into the water at the ramp... hehe!!
but i'm the ONLY one allowed to chuckle because i'm also guilty of doing the same..
but i would never admit it.......
nor did i have any witnesses!!!
so it never happened for me........promise..
Old 09-10-2005, 07:53 AM   #19
C-level

Pat?

Pat's been out on the big boat looking for the big boys. Said he baited a swordfish a couple weeks ago. He had it on a 30# rig for 6 hours before a crimp failed :shock: . They baited another swordy a week later that came unhooked after a short fight. I don't even know how many marlin they have landed. The billfish are in trouble with him out there. Catching local billfish is as prestigious as it gets... I would be out there in a second if I had the means to do so.

"Blessings upon all that hate contention, and love quietness, and virtue, and Angling." - Izaak Walton
C-level is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 02:18 PM   #20
madscientist

Good for him! Glad to hear he's trying to kill fish, whatever his condition. Still, miss his company at LJ.