Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 07-01-2019, 05:26 AM   #1
Cronus
Cheat to win

Leo Carrillo 6/30 Calico crazy

Yesterday was the busiest day I have ever had on my kayak. I actually lost count of how many fish I caught. So bummed my gopro battery was dead, thought I charged it... I launched out of Leo, hilariously, as it was low tide and I high centered on a large rock as the water went out and almost tipped over, was struggling not to laugh more than anything, really wish I had the gopro. The calicos were so aggressive, three hit my big hammer within 6 feet of my yak, saw them dart out of the kelp and nail it. They started small and got bigger. Several times I would be pulling up a fish and about 5 to 10 others would come up with him. Was one after another in most spots, went north after launching. I switched over to my red crab hookup bait and half the time it didnt even hit the bottom before being snatched. One guy not far from me landed a large hali, could hear the yelling - congrats. Wind picked up just after 11 so I came in but the bite was still going.
Attached Images

Cronus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 06:45 AM   #2
Roscoe

Nice report. Thought I saw your car by Leo. Glad you made it.
I was up north of you. The bit for me was hit and miss. But when it was on they where doing the same thing.
One of these days we should go for rock fish.
Roscoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 09:13 AM   #3
DanaPT

I've always wondered why GoPro was a billion dollar company. I've never had good luck with the product.

Firm/soft ware and batteries suck.

Great report and pics.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 11:23 AM   #4
CaliHalikiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cronus View Post
Yesterday was the busiest day I have ever had on my kayak. I actually lost count of how many fish I caught. So bummed my gopro battery was dead, thought I charged it... I launched out of Leo, hilariously, as it was low tide and I high centered on a large rock as the water went out and almost tipped over, was struggling not to laugh more than anything, really wish I had the gopro. The calicos were so aggressive, three hit my big hammer within 6 feet of my yak, saw them dart out of the kelp and nail it. They started small and got bigger. Several times I would be pulling up a fish and about 5 to 10 others would come up with him. Was one after another in most spots, went north after launching. I switched over to my red crab hookup bait and half the time it didnt even hit the bottom before being snatched. One guy not far from me landed a large hali, could hear the yelling - congrats. Wind picked up just after 11 so I came in but the bite was still going.
So where did you launch from drove by there Fri looked like the small stairs were closed off I'm going to fish it either Thursday morning or sat
CaliHalikiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 11:45 AM   #5
Cronus
Cheat to win

The stairs are gone so you need to have sand wheels. Saw some guys double teaming theirs to carry them in/out. By the bridge over the creek where the old restrooms were is a dirt ramp/road right off pch. You roll down that to the beach.
Old 07-01-2019, 11:50 AM   #6
Cronus
Cheat to win

Yeah Roscoe, I need to get a small light kayak for the deer creek days. Mine is just too heavy to carry it down there but saw some guys there in the morning on my way to Leo, the surf was perfect for launching all down the coast, even county line looked good.
Old 07-01-2019, 10:26 PM   #7
fourtogo

Leo

I am always up to my eye brows in stuff and a day late bahaha . And get too read these reports . It very encouraging though glad it was somken fun time for you .
fourtogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 07:27 AM   #8
JohnMckroidJr

Nice report. Many of my gopro's -- specifically black 3+ will slowly drain the battery down even when not in use. I have the best luck if I charge the battery just before using, and never store the battery in the camera while not in use.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote