Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2010, 02:18 PM   #1
Hunter (The 80's Man)

Hey Bob (or anybody else that has tried this application) ,

So I did both my Trident and my wife's Tarpon. I finished the install, everything looked great. Both held water with no leaks, UNTIL I went to load my Trident on the truck. I was strapping it down when I heard a "glug-glug-glug" ... all the water was coming out. When my boat flexed, it compromised the goop. I since went back to my wife's boat and put a little side-to-side pressure on the pvc and hers lifted from the bottom as well. I'm thinking I need to rough up the bottom before the goop application.

Any ideas??

How do I get around this problem?

Thanks,
Rob

Hunter (The 80's Man) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 06:58 PM   #2
steveooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter (The 80's Man) View Post

I'm thinking I need to rough up the bottom before the goop application.

Rob

Winner winner chicken dinner
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 09:28 PM   #3
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter (The 80's Man) View Post
Hey Bob (or anybody else that has tried this application) ,

So I did both my Trident and my wife's Tarpon. I finished the install, everything looked great. Both held water with no leaks, UNTIL I went to load my Trident on the truck. I was strapping it down when I heard a "glug-glug-glug" ... all the water was coming out. When my boat flexed, it compromised the goop. I since went back to my wife's boat and put a little side-to-side pressure on the pvc and hers lifted from the bottom as well. I'm thinking I need to rough up the bottom before the goop application.

Any ideas??

How do I get around this problem?

Thanks,
Rob
Most kayak surfaces retain a little silicon, which is used as a mold release agent. Goop sticks very well to most clean surfaces so need to give the area you plan to apply the Goop to a good cleaning first. Alcohol works great. So does a light sanding of the area. You can do both.

If you properly prepare the area, Goop will stick so well that it is nearly impossible to remove.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:20 AM   #4
h2ofishfo

my question is if u set the transducer to high in the water do u inturn reduce the size of the sonar ping due to the constriction of the tubing it sits in hmmmm???
h2ofishfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:20 PM   #5
dgax65
Guerro Grande

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2ofishfo View Post
my question is if u set the transducer to high in the water do u inturn reduce the size of the sonar ping due to the constriction of the tubing it sits in hmmmm???
A side imaging or wide angle transducer probably won't work well in a wet well, but they don't work well for any in-hull application. The dual frequency transducers have a narrow and a wide cone angle. Even at a 60 degree cone angle, the transducer would have to be pretty far off the bottom of the yak to lose performance. The narrow cone would probably work in any conceivable kayak wet mount. Whatever return you would lose will be from the outer part of the cone. You should still get decent, if somewhat attenuated return.