Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2010, 02:34 PM   #1
kurtfish

Many Thanks to Paul, Robert Fletcher, and all other MLPA angling activists

Paul & Bob, Your efforts on the various MLPA task forces and WON articles on behave of the local fishing community are much appreciated. I am still steaming over how Bob Fletcher was cut-off during the SD MLPA meeting with his commentary regarding his lawsuit victory related to full public disclosure of the MLPA process. My son kept right on going to finish his speech when the red light and 0.00 flashed. The MLPA board members are sympatric to cute kids making speeches so they did not cut-off Lucas like they did with our venerable Mr. Fletcher..

I just could not take another ill informed student presentation on the South Pacific Coral Reefs during a So Cal MLPA meeting. Bellcons' comments about the classic liberal educators that are indoctrinating their students' minds with false and irrelevant information was so on point for those cute little girls from Chula Vista with their Coral Reef diorama. The only modest contribution I could muster to the current round was submission of a modified and much shortened letter thru the Keep America Fishing website.

From what I hear about the dormant commercial fishing fleet in New Bedford, MA the fishing regulations being imposed on the East Coast fisheries are being implemented with a very heavy hand by NOAA and have completely shut down more than half the commercial fleet. Letters to the Obama Administration seeking relief and sound logic to be applied to the current by-catch restrictions have gone unanswered. As we all know fisherman are not a public interest group that is favored by our national or state administrations.

Recreational anglers need to come together to continue the legal battle that Mr.. Fletcher has so successfully begun. We need to realize that our new Governor is not going to come to our rescue. We have to step up to the plate and fork over some serious cash to continue to fight the lopsided MLPA process in court. We rely on well informed folks like you helping to rally the troops to the next step in this long and agonizing process.

We are now to the point were we will have to donate funds to continue the fight in court where legitimacy and due process can prevail. Please keep-up the good fight and continue your efforts to keep us informed and don't be shy about asking for donations to organizations you deem worthy to continue the fight in court. We stand behind you and Mr.Fletcher and we need to support the future efforts that may be more satisfying and effective than waiting ten hours to speak one minute as Bellcon noted.

Thank you, Kurtfish
kurtfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 02:54 PM   #2
Jimmyz123

Agreed, thank you. I may be new to Kayak fishing, but I have been fishing the San Diego coast for my entire life and I will do what I can to help. This is something I would be happy to donate to in order to help keep our fisheries open.
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 03:10 PM   #3
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

I suspect that many who follow this forum received the email today from the Partnership for Sustainable Oceans as I did. If you did not get a copy, please PM me with your email address and I will forward one to you.

The email basically spelled out what went down today at the DFG meeting. I suppose I should not be surprised but to be honest, I thought that truth and justice would prevail this time, especially since there is growing evidence that the entire MLPA process was corrupt. I guess things will now play out in the courts.

The email from PSO asked for donations to an organization that I had not heard of. Here is the web site. www.oceanaccessprotectionfund.org I will be donating to the cause but want to send my money where it will do the most good. There are a number of organizations working on our behalf and I just do not know which one to help fund. I suppose that I could send a little money to all of them but it seems to me that one well financed organization would be more effective than several underfunded ones.

If anyone has thoughts on this subject, please weigh in.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 04:55 PM   #4
PAL

Quote:
The email from PSO asked for donations to an organization that I had not heard of. Here is the web site. www.oceanaccessprotectionfund.org
Bob, that's the right link. The Ocean Access Protection Fund was set up by United Anglers of Southern California for the PSO's legal challenges against the MLPA. They say they won't use the money for anything other than access fights.

The PSO's attorneys weren't kidding. They have documents that prove the BRTF met in secret. If you want to push that effort forward, that's the place to send your cash. Everything helps.

Couldn't make this last meeting? This is just as good.
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 06:09 PM   #5
Gino

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAL View Post
Bob, that's the right link. The Ocean Access Protection Fund was set up by United Anglers of Southern California for the PSO's legal challenges against the MLPA. They say they won't use the money for anything other than access fights.

The PSO's attorneys weren't kidding. They have documents that prove the BRTF met in secret. If you want to push that effort forward, that's the place to send your cash. Everything helps.

Couldn't make this last meeting? This is just as good.
I wish i had my video camera with me so i could have recorded the Attorneys statements/PSO reps presentation. They did an excellent job and i liked what they said. Not only did they mention behind close doors meetings (in person private meetigns at a BRTF home). they exposed the flaws in the process and implimentation timeline, saying they had to finish mapping the whole state before they could impliment the closures.

tomorrow is payday! im sending them some money...

Who will join me? They need all the help they can get. This is our chance to crush this and The PSO need all the financial help they can get.
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 09:06 PM   #6
PAL

^There's a video archive of the meeting on the Calspan website and / or AGP Video. I'll see about grabbing it for the attorney's statements tomorrow unless someone else beats me to it.

I'd look around the noon mark, but since I didn't check my watch to see when the meeting started, I'm not sure how far in they'll be.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:36 PM   #7
JJ

The attorneys said enough to raise an eyebrow.
But there's more ... much more.
We lost the battle, but the war's not over!

I've said it before ... Paul
Thank you for EVERYTHING!!!

Cheers. -JJ-
JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 07:00 AM   #8
mwm

Paul, thanks to you and Chris for leading the charge to fight this process. Frankly, now that it's done and part of LJ is saved the kayak fishing community here in San Diego has alot to be thankful for.

Last month a small group of relatives walked down the steps of my uncle's house in Laguna and committed his ashes to the deep (he was affectionately known as The Captain). His place was known as the Halibut House because as kids we would fish off his boat and dive off the beach for them. It turned his stomach to know that his grandkids and my young kids will never get to know this joy or have the great memories that I have. Luckily, we got to put him to rest while his ocean was still free. The same fate could have happened in LJ and PV as did in Laguna and Malibu were it not for the fight put up. Thanks to all that sent letters or attended hearings.

If there's proof the BRTF met in secret in defiance of the law, then that is pretty important info that needs to get out to the public NOW while this issue is still fresh. the UT has run two front page articles on the MLPA process. Get that info to Ed Zieralski with a flow chart of the link from the Packard Foundation to the the people involved. I saw what I consider to be Meg Caldwell's arrogance and disregard for the people of this State first hand at the BRTF decision meeting when she adamantly refused to implement other options than #3. If she and the BRTF met in secret in defiance of the law I can only assume it was to influence the agenda, then the State Bar and Stanford need to hold her accountable. This will only happen if the public knows the facts. If there is factual evidence, I for one am willing to spend some $$ to make that known.
mwm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 08:02 AM   #9
PAL

I'm working on clipping the video now. I hope to have it up on YouTube within a few hours.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:31 AM   #10
roadx

Closing Waters to Sportfishing in Southern California Denies Public's Right to Access Public Waters‏

California Fish and Game Commission ignores numerous legal concerns by approving MPA regulations

Sacramento, CA – December 15, 2010 – Despite ongoing legal concerns, the California Fish and Game Commission (FGC) voted 3-2 to approve a wide-ranging array of marine protected areas (MPAs), essentially no-fishing zones, along the southern California coast. In its latest effort to implement the Marine Life Protection Act (MLPA), the commission’s vote indefinitely closes approximately 12 percent of southern California’s ocean to recreational fishing – including many of the state’s best recreational fishing areas.

“It’s beyond comprehension that the commission would go through with approving these regulations given the serious flaws in the process,” said Bob Fletcher of the Sportfishing Association of California and former Chief Deputy Director of the California Department of Fish and Game. “The commission obviously had no desire to assure that a fair, open, objective and legally conducted process was in place before such a vote occurred. This vote leaves little doubt that the MLPA has is based on political agendas instead of the needs of California’s citizens and natural resources.”

The Partnership for Sustainable Oceans (PSO), which represents recreational fishing and boating interests in California, has been actively engaged in the MLPA process since the North Central Coast phase. The PSO has voiced its concerns regarding the numerous flaws and a lack of transparency in the process. One of the PSO’s members, United Anglers of Southern California (UASC), has retained legal representation to investigate the legality of the MLPA process.

During the December 15, commission meeting, the PSO’s attorneys presented to the commission the numerous examples of defects in the rulemaking process, including many flaws that were discovered after reviewing MLPA planning documents that have only recently become public.

On October 1, 2010, a California Superior Court ruled that two MLPA planning groups – the Blue Ribbon Task Force (BRTF) and Master Plan Team , also known as the Science Advisory Team, are state agencies and therefore compelled by California’s Public Records Act to share information that they were withholding from public view. These groups would not respond to a Public Records Act request, incorrectly claiming they were not state agencies. In light of a PSO review of the documents provided to date, the commission was presented several notable findings prior to their vote, including evidence that the BRTF held numerous scheduled, agendized meetings which were closed to the public.

Other notable flaws and concerns with the MLPA process that were not taken into consideration by the commission include:
  • Lack of funding for the necessary monitoring and enforcement of MPA regulations – a $40 million annual price tag.
  • Negative economic impact of closures to saltwater recreational fishing, which contributes $2.3 billion to California’s economy annually and supports nearly 20,000 jobs.
  • Major flaws in the environmental analysis of the impacts of the proposed South Coast regulations.
  • Inconsistent and shifting guidelines throughout the process.
“The MLPA attempts to resolve a fisheries ‘crisis’ that simply does not exist. As a result of decades of successful traditional fisheries management, according to the National Marine Fisheries Service, there is not one marine fish stock currently experiencing overfishing in California’s waters,” said Gordon Robertson, Vice President of the American Sportfishing Association, a PSO member. “Simply put: fisheries management in California is working and the MPAs are not necessary.”

“While we are deeply disturbed that the commission would go forward with approving these regulations, the process is not over yet,” noted John Riordan, Board Member of UASC. “The PSO legal effort is working to protect the interests of recreational anglers and is making significant progress. I urge all anglers and anyone concerned with the MLPA to visit
www.oceanaccessprotectionfund.org and make a donation to help the fight against this flawed process in the courts.”
Old 12-17-2010, 09:30 AM   #11
PAL

Up now: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ua8T3qlbuvg

Last edited by PAL; 12-17-2010 at 12:26 PM.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:12 AM   #12
roadx

Dear Steve,
Thank you for your support of KeepAmericaFishing™ and for helping us to preserve your right to sustainably fish on our nation’s waterways.

California’s anglers, however, are still facing increased efforts to keep anglers out of California’s public waters – including some of the best fishing spots on the West coast.

We need your help! Support our fight by donating now to KeepAmericaFishing.

With your donation of $30 or more you will receive a free Rapala Pro Bass Fishing game for Nintendo Wii bundled with a rod and reel adapter for your Wii controller. Valued at $49.99, it’s our way of saying thank you.

Your contributions help us to preserve your right to fish on our nation’s waterways.

Steve, please donate now to receive your free gift. Your generosity helps to preserve our time honored sport now and for generations to come.

Wishing you and your family a happy holiday season from KeepAmericaFishing!

Gordon Robertson
Vice President, KeepAmericaFishing
Old 12-17-2010, 10:34 AM   #13
sandydiego
Rum Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadx View Post
Dear Steve,
Thank you for your support of KeepAmericaFishing™ and for helping us to preserve your right to sustainably fish on our nation’s waterways.

California’s anglers, however, are still facing increased efforts to keep anglers out of California’s public waters – including some of the best fishing spots on the West coast.

We need your help! Support our fight by donating now to KeepAmericaFishing.

With your donation of $30 or more you will receive a free Rapala Pro Bass Fishing game for Nintendo Wii bundled with a rod and reel adapter for your Wii controller. Valued at $49.99, it’s our way of saying thank you.

Your contributions help us to preserve your right to fish on our nation’s waterways.

Steve, please donate now to receive your free gift. Your generosity helps to preserve our time honored sport now and for generations to come.

Wishing you and your family a happy holiday season from KeepAmericaFishing!

Gordon Robertson
Vice President, KeepAmericaFishing
I got this but we have a xbox!
sandydiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 10:40 AM   #14
PAL

^That's awesome. Rapala must have donated a bunch of those games.

Keep America Fishing is the ASA, American Sportfishing Association. They are a key member of the PSO, and a staunch ally in the MLPA fight. It's a good place to send cash. They've spent a ton trying to help us.

HOWEVER

To directly fund the legal effort and keep your money in California, go here: http://oceanaccessprotectionfund.org/
Old 12-17-2010, 11:09 AM   #15
Billy V

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAL View Post
Paul,

Check the link. Remove the 1st Http://

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ua8T3qlbuvg

Billy
Old 12-17-2010, 11:10 AM   #16
mckenzie

I've just written a check for $250.00. I hate to say it, but our best chances are with the lawyers. Lawyers cost money, we all need to chip in what we can.

The thought of having my passion taken away leaves a hole in my stomach!
mckenzie is offline   Reply With Quote