Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2014, 08:44 PM   #1
kaya_one

West Marine Warranty experience

I have an Elite 4 that I bought with the added West Marine warranty. I would say there is a design flaw where the micro-card slot at bottom of unit has this flimsy "water tight" cover. The flimsy cover I just notice is not there and water intruded.
Now I have water in the screen and the micro card has corroded. Time to visit West Marine and redeem.

I hear it is sort of a no questions asked Nordstrom's like warranty where they take it in regardless of issue. I've even heard that I can upgrade.

Anyone have experience to make this go smooth for me?
I don't want some loophole where I get denied or some legal-ese fine print that will void the warranty.

I plan to head in there on Friday to get me on the water Saturday. Thanks for looking.

-Jamie "kaya_one"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Elite 4.jpg (45.1 KB, 65 views)
kaya_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 08:51 PM   #2
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

I have had experience with their warranty. Hard to beat. I traded my 3 month old used unit in for a brand new one. The key for me was saying that I was "not satisfied" with my purchase. That phrase was like gold. You can also call WM without giving all your info to get an idea. They typically just say go to the nearest WM. I have exchanged FF as well as VHF radios. They really want their customers to be happy.
Cadillyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 08:55 PM   #3
jorluivil

Speaking from experience, don't go to the San Pedro store, the service at that location is horrible.

I've been to the Long Beach store several times and have spent thousands of dollars there, I have never had a bad experience returning any product that had a defect or was under warranty. Hell, one time I lost the antenna to my handheld VHF while hoopnetting. I went to the LB store and told them what happened, they pulled a new antenna out of the cabinet, handed it to me and sent me on my way. I told the rep that I would pay for it, I wasn't looking for a freebie but he gave it to me free of charge.

Another time I returned some neoprene gloves that were coming apart at the seam, they were about a year old. The rep told me to grab a new pair from the shelf and to tell the cashier that it was a 'no haggle' exchange.......in and out in under 5 minutes.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:18 PM   #4
ful-rac
Emperor

Dont worry about it....west marine will take care of you, especially if you bought the warranty. One more thing, do not store your unit upside down, or else water will intrude eventually.