Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2013, 10:32 PM   #1
kaya_one

End of year bottom fishin'

Since not much posting on reports I guess I should help the matter. Where's all the reports? You know all the BWE addicts like me need something to get us by while on terra firma...so post up.

Went out twice the past two weeks to La Jolla 21st and 27th for rock fishin'.
Here is the report for the 27th...
Awesome weather with hardly any wind...glassy...no surf (1-2' ish)...sunny perfect day...some current...some tide...61degree water.
Went out with 2 others and we posted up on one spot at ~100' and another further south west at around 100'+. Saw about 15 whales with one coming up about 50' away.

Got a mixed bag of the typical. All of us using squid. Me with dropper and 2 hooks on 6oz torpedo using full dead squid and took home 5; 2 reds, 1 whitefish, 1 calico, 1 olive (or whatever it was).
One of the others using a "fly-like" rig with a squid strip, and the other using a reverse dropper. All caught fish; sheeps and sculpin in the mix as well for the crew.

Moral of the story. There are still fish to be had even though the "trophy" fish may not be around. If you do get skunked you'll probably catch some giant grey whales to please the soul - highlight of the trip!

I heard the reds are moving in to shallower waters and it seems so.

Pics? Uh...sure...they are on my phone...but you've seen these usual suspects before so nothing special. Right now 2 fish look like ceviche cooking in lime. 2 fish were steamed and consumed. I guess the others are gonna be fish tacos tomorrow.

Last edited by kaya_one; 12-29-2013 at 01:49 PM.
kaya_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 08:37 PM   #2
Aaron&Julie

Sounds nice, good report, cool seeing so many whales.