Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2011, 11:32 AM   #1
kurtfish

Bill Poole Memorial Update 7/30 - 7/31 bbq

Since Josh's impressive Grand Slam is creating so much site traffic I though I might use this opportunity to provide an update on the Bill Poole Memorial Angling Tournament set for 7/29 pre-fish seminar with Rick Maxa, fishing on 7/30, and a great family oriented bbq and silent auction set for Sunday 11am-2pm July 31st. Don't worry it looks like Josh is quite focused on the WCW tourney and the big prize money so we won't have to compete against Mr. Slam in this contest.

Please see the attachment below for full details and contest / bbq entry form. Although I have misplaced my WSB mojo this year I have enjoyed much hamachi this past month with 4 23 lb + Yellows in my small cooler. My efforts on behave of our local WSB with Hubbs and the Bill Poole Memorial Angling Tournament set for July 30-31st are paying off. OEX has joined our efforts with a generous donation of a kayak for our silent auction and The Fishery on Cass Street made a very generous donation of dining certificates as well. Bob Fletcher, Rick Maxa, and Carl Schmidt have secured a wide variety of rods, reels and sport fishing certificates for our silent auction as well.

I hope we will see many of you participate in this great cause as well. Josh asked me about prize money for this contest and sorry the answer is no $ but a nice trophy and a good piece of mind for helping the WSB replenishment program to continue on beyond 2 million fish back in our SoCal waters. All proceeds from the silent auction and entry fees go directly to the Hubbs WSB program. So far we have very few costs for the contest with all the great donations form the local community and corporations. Even the food for the great bbq and sushi is being donated by local chefs that have offered their services once again. I am still working on getting beer donated as well. Hopefully, Moyer will be able to exert some pressure on Ballast Point to reel in a keg of Yellowtail.

I am still on the fence about fishing in the kayak or sport boat division as the Excel is on-line for a one-day trip for the Bill Poole Memorial. Ingrid Poole changed the boat's schedule to accommodate this special fundraiser. The cost of the trip is $350 for almost a day and half with a 5pm departure set for 7/29, contest entry included in ticket price. If I can't figure out how to see these suspended WSB I may have to go after tuna on the Excel. Call Fisherman's Landing if you have an interest in fishing on the best sport boat in the fleet for a very unique one-day run with only 35 other lucky soles.

Hope to see many of you in July, bring the ladies and kids along for the bbq as well, Kurtfish
Itinerary
Please join the Hubbs-SeaWorld Research Institute supporters, trustees, scientists and community leaders for a very special event, our third annual Bill Poole Memorial Angling Tournament. >>
>>
Angling Seminar and Captain’s Meeting>>
Thursday, July 28, 2011, 7:00 to 9:00 p.m. >>
Pick up angler goody bags. Find out where the fish are and how the experts catch them. Learn about bait availability, fishing conditions, special awards, final rules and times, and other last-minute information.>>
>>
Angling Tournament >>
Lines In: 6:00 p.m. Friday, July 29 ~ Lines Out: 6:00 p.m. Saturday, July 30, 2011 >>
Fish for a variety of species such as halibut, tuna (albacore, bluefin, or yellowfin), yellowtail, and white seabass. No tournament boundaries apply. (Lines In/Lines Out times tbd.)This is a family-oriented, non-money tournament designed to encourage sportsmanship and ocean awareness and conservation.>>
>>
Awards Barbecue>>
Sunday, July 31, 2010, 11 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.>>
Enjoy a gorgeous bayside setting while dining on delicious cultured fish tacos prepared on-site by local chefs. Visit with SeaWorld’s animal ambassadors. Bid on terrific silent auction items. Tour the Institute’s hatchery operations and more. >>
> >
2011 Honorees>>

Don Hansen ~ The Bill Poole Memorial Award . This award is given to someone who has dedicated a lifetime commitment to the outdoor sporting life. >>

Jock Albright ~ The Milt Shedd Memorial Award. This award is given to someone who has made a significant contribution to the white seabass replenishment program.>>
>>
Beneficiary>>
Proceeds benefit the Hubbs-SeaWorld Research Institute’s white seabass replenishment program. >>
>>
HSWRI is a leading independent, non-profit marine research institute and has been around for nearly 50 years. They are the source for white seabass fingerlings for all the grow-out pens up and down the coast. Since 1983 they have added nearly 1.8 million juvenile white seabass to the fishery, and all of us have enjoyed the results over the past few years. Their work in other areas of marine science is equally impressive.>>
>>
Chartered "to return to the sea some measure of the benefits derived from it," the Institute conducts innovative scientific research throughout the world to conserve our living marine resources, our ocean-based economy and our quality of life.>>
>>
>2011_entry_form_new.pdf >
>>
Involvement>>
>>

You can participate in the Third Annual Bill Poole Memorial Angling Tournament by becoming an event sponsor (see reverse Sponsorship Opportunities for details). To learn more about how you can get involved please contact Karen Terra at 619-226-3881

Okay here is my May Submission to keep this on the popular Fish Report side of this Forum
Name:  YT53Sunset.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  49.3 KB

Maybe, I need to consider growing out my Goatee again ??

Last edited by kurtfish; 06-02-2011 at 11:54 AM.
kurtfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 01:45 PM   #2
kurtfish

Wind up again this pm but bird action in the Canyon at noon

Water temp is reported back down to 59 by the LGs at The Cove. Big spot came up in the middle of the blow around noon so the cold water does not seem to have chased all the life out of LJ. I am considering an early am laucnh but The Shores still look challenging so I may take out my old Whaler instead.
kurtfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 02:04 PM   #3
DESTROYER

Good Luck Everyone who fishes this. Good Cause!

I put them in touch with Ballast Point so there should be some good beer there as well.

I won't be able to fish this because my best friend is having his Bachelor Party that week in Vegas!
DESTROYER is offline   Reply With Quote