Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2010, 12:14 PM   #1
kurtfish

Cool Breeze and a close interval swell @ L J

My morning started out with noticing my interior lights shining inside my truck at 2:30 am. I should have taken the hints after our dog baked at me as I headed back inside my home. I was able to locate my jumper cables and get my truck started. After packing all my gear and kayak I headed to L J Shores. When I arrived two kayaker were already set-up contemplating the surf and chilling off-shore wind. I am glad I did not bring my son along with me this morning. I decided to forego a run through the 1-2 foot hard breaking waves and 46 degree air.

The two others made it through well selected lulls without much fanfare or nasty looking splashes. I headed into my office and took a walk along Prospect at 5:30 am. I looked out to the kelp beds and could not spot any boats. As the offshore breeze was only about 5 knots I was not too concerned about not spotting the two kayaks in the morning glow. Later in the moring I took another walk, I saw quite a few gulls working the grounds and still could not locate any yaks outside the kelp. As I was still being chilled by the offshore breeze I figured that maybe the brave comrades in arms had succomed to the cold and headed back in early. There is certianly another possiblity that the hardy boys headed in early with fish in-tow ? If those brave souls are now warming themselves in front of a fire with i-pad in hand please respond so I can rest assured that my decision not to call the Coast Guard was the right call.

Happy Thanksgiving,

Kurtfish
kurtfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 12:28 PM   #2
Aaron

I'll go ahead and ask...where do you work and are they hiring? Thanks for the update.
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 02:01 PM   #3
blackcloud9
Kayaker

or they went North.

Last edited by blackcloud9; 11-23-2010 at 05:56 PM.
blackcloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 02:04 PM   #4
-scallywag-
Banned

Who launches into 46 degree, 12kt offshores and thumpy windswell at 0300AM?

I would have called the coastguard as soon as those numbskulls launched!!!

Really though, those freezing offshores that just started are no joke, last week pre-dawn temps where in the mid-50s.....by friday predawn temps will be in the lower 40's....way too cold for me!

Be careful out there guys!!!
-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 10:25 AM   #5
chris138
donkey roper

We're still alive... somehow. It was gnarly out there with the swell, wind, current and tide all somehow working against each other. 3 foot windswell from the west and 1 foot whitecaps from the east. At full speed, we made one kt on the way in. Not for the feint of heart.

Fishing was strange as well. LOADS of squid in the usual shallow zone and hardly a mackeral to be seen. Fishing the dropperloop in 10-15 kt offshores is a difficult ordeal. However it looked very fishy, somebody is going to hook up soon if they don't die of hypothermia. Get out there!!....??
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 03:10 PM   #6
swinginFish

WTG

OMG - a relevant post that isn't moldy from the passage of time! Thanks.
Avery
swinginFish is offline   Reply With Quote