Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 08-03-2019, 08:09 PM   #1
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

La Jolla 8-2

It has been a while since I have been on the water and even longer since I have posted anything. Back in the day, almost everyone posted their experiences when they went out but things have certainly changed since I started yackfishin about ten years ago.

Friday was my first day in La Jolla this year. There are many reasons but I suspect that few may care. Anyway I had a very nice day. The day was gray and unwelcoming for my 7 AM launch. Based on my conversations with the other gray light launchers, most of the guys on the beach had not experienced much luck recently. With the lack of reasonable prospects for meat fish on my first day out this year I decided to pack light and only take my fly rod for today's adventure.

I launched with about six guys but saw a similar number on the horizon as I headed out. I never saw any of those folks again so I have to assume that the current hot fishing grounds are several miles out.

For me, the day was all about getting back in the saddle and trying to remember how to catch a fish or two. This was my first attempt at fly fishing in the kelp. My first few casts rewarded with me with small Callicos. I was using a 10 weight rod with a heavy sinking tip. Casting, especially for someone who has not been doing this much recently was very tiring so I switched tactics.

It turns out that you can troll with a fly rod setup. The sinking line puts the streamer in the zone where the fish are. All I had to do was peddle my kayak around until a fish became interested.

I caught a bunch of small Calicos. Nothing worth keeping, but that was not my goal. I was back on the water and caught some fish. It was a great day.

I interviewed a couple of the guys who ventured out over the horizon. Nobody caught a keeper but several said that the Calicos were biting in deep water as well.

Where have all the big fish gone?

I will be out there again soon. Maybe I will be the lucky guy who finally wakes up all the big fish who are shunning us these days.

Bob

Last edited by dsafety; 08-06-2019 at 07:46 AM. Reason: Wrong date
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 09:22 PM   #2
"jjcawjj"

Wow! Bob Great to see you back posting on BWE! I met you about 6 years ago fishing LJ. Your the one that turn me on to this site. Hope to see you out there again soon!👍🎣
"jjcawjj" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 09:29 PM   #3
blitzburgh

Good to see you post again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-03-2019, 10:21 PM   #4
FISH11

Smile LJ 8-2

I think I talked to you at the launch. There were some extra large sets mixed in the surf pattern for a wetter launch. Friday was certainly heavy overcast and did not clear up as early as on Monday but there were times when the water was nice and calm. Some bird action and bait was plenty in areas with some jumping but nothing caught on the fly lined mac or many jigs casts on the boils. Trolled those macs all day and never even lost one to the frickin furbags, even though I did have to wind one mac in a hurry, to keep it away from a sea lion. Enjoyed the day and pedaled the Revo over the usual places. Just for a little fun I did drop a laser minor jig for some various rock fish, but all were released unharmed after having their pictures taken. Drank some beers and overall it was a wonderful day on the water. When trying to get those nice yellows there's only one way to do it. Time spent on the water.
Attached Images

Old 08-05-2019, 04:11 PM   #5
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

One of the reasons that I stayed in the kelp on this trip is that I have developed a bit of a fear of fishing miles offshore by myself as was my common practice back in the day. I have never flipped my yak in open water. Launches and landings, well that is another story. The thought of being miles away from help, floating next to my turtled yak because I was unable to right the boat and drag my old bones back on board is concerning to say the least.

Some may call me a wus and they would be mostly correct. My wife is kinder. She accuses me of using good judgement for the first time in my yakfishing experience.

I am not afraid of going out over the horizon but I think that the next time I do this, I will have a fishing buddy with me. If there is anyone out there who would like to join me one of these days, please send me a PM.

Bob
Old 08-06-2019, 05:31 AM   #6
Regor
Greg

Hey Bob, good to see you get back out there. I have not been out in a few years, but I have had reasons, and I am getting the itch to go back out again.

I still follow BWE and lurk, watching for any nice posts, especially after last year.
Regor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 07:07 AM   #7
DragginPanda
Junior

Trolling a fly fishing rod seems pretty interesting.

I hope you find your launch buddy.
DragginPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 09:24 AM   #8
Tigermidge

I have been kayak fly fishing for 5 years.
If you have a Hobie just turn your drive around and drive backwards.
Works great for me.

Mark
Tigermidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 07:20 PM   #9
tunaseeker
TB Metal Art

Good to see you posting up! And some old timers chiming in. I started kayaking in 2009... Havent posted here much as of late either... I seem to make more fish than I catch now a days... www.tbmetalart.com
tunaseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 03:14 PM   #10
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Maybe this thread will coax a few more of the senior crowd back to posting on BWE. I hope so.

For those who may be interested, I did find a fishing buddy, Mark (Fish11), whom I met at the launch a couple weeks ago. Mark and I went out last Tuesday and got to know one another.

It turns out that Mark and I have a lot in common, including being high school classmates at La Jolla High. We knew each other but not well. Small world.

Mark fishes at LJ regularly. His wealth of knowledge and experience is going to be a great help for me as I get back into this sport.

Tuesday's trip was successful for one of us. More on that in a future post.

Bob
Old 08-18-2019, 09:17 AM   #11
Beer Me
Take two

Thanks for write up and congrats on finding a fishing buddy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Beer Me is offline   Reply With Quote