Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2014, 01:00 PM   #1
Big T
Member, You Member!

Marine Goop on Polyethylene....

I've been using marine goop to attach things over the years to the kayak with Marine Goop, simply because it's what all the shops recommended.

It HAS worked and I enjoy using it but I just finally read the "cautions" on the back and it says not to use it on Polyethylene!

What gives? Has anyone had deformation issues or any other types of damage from short or long term usage?

I for one haven't had any issues at all, so I will probably keep using it, but was just curious if there are any "hidden" issues I haven't experienced yet.

OR does malibu make their yaks from a different kind of polyethylene or something?
Big T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 01:30 PM   #2
bubblehide

There are no glues that glue polyethylene, nothing on the market makes a chemical bond. However there are adhesives, but you do not want to use an adhesive for such an application; as adhesives are easily removable. Polyethylene can be melted together (welded), but you do not want to do that in this type of application.

So, your left with products that fill gaps, and provide a compression seal, which is what you are already doing. Goop and 3m's 5200 do a good job at this. But keep in mind, that they do not actually glue to the poly, so timely inspections and occasional maintenance need to be done.
bubblehide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 01:58 PM   #3
Big T
Member, You Member!

Oooooh, ok. So "not for use on" means "won't stick to" Not that it will "damage it"

Got it.

So is the mechanism that keeps my FF transducer on caused by suction? Or gripping onto the pores in the plastic?
Old 03-16-2014, 08:09 PM   #4
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblehide View Post
There are no glues that glue polyethylene, nothing on the market makes a chemical bond.
Pro-Poly HDPE glue, and Poly-Weld adhesive, both advertise to be structural and "permanent" but I've not tried either and I'm not sure what type of bond they make with the plastic
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:17 PM   #5
bubblehide

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanw View Post
Pro-Poly HDPE glue, and Poly-Weld adhesive, both advertise to be structural and "permanent" but I've not tried either and I'm not sure what type of bond they make with the plastic

You may be correct, there may be a couple products that create a chemical bond. It's been a while, but I do recall reading about them, but the products were not available to the public at the time, and my buddy that works in the space industry was unable to provide me with any information, or product. That all could have changed by now. However, I would be cautious about the bond created, as to it's depth and strength, considering the thickness of these yaks. But keep in mind, that an adhesive is just that, it sticks, but does not create a chemical bond, as a true glue does. (for those wanting to get technical, yes there are glues that adhere to pours and create a bond that way, but that does not apply to polyethylene).

[QUOTE=Big T; So is the mechanism that keeps my FF transducer on caused by suction? Or gripping onto the pores in the plastic? [/QUOTE]

It sticks, but it does not create a chemical bond, as such it is subject to releasing it's grip. This generally happens a little bit over time. I've used Goop in the past on poly, and after a few years, i could grab an edge and pull it lose; it did take some effort. Cleaning it up good and re-Gooping fixed it for a few more years. It's simply something that you need to keep an eye on from time to time.
bubblehide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:50 PM   #6
dorado50

Rocket science does play a role in the formation of a kayak and the adhesion of many accessories. Quite a challenge at times. Perhaps marine goop could be replaced with the new "super duper glue"?.
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 12:15 AM   #7
Big T
Member, You Member!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2a5RlcP-4JE
Old 03-17-2014, 07:25 AM   #8
IN2DEEP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big T View Post
Looks like it works good
The reviews of this product give it thumbs up
http://www.amazon.com/West-System-65...owViewpoints=1

Good find!
Old 03-17-2014, 11:22 AM   #9
FISH11

Looks amazing, great find. Thanks for sharing.
FISH11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 12:23 PM   #10
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by IN2DEEP View Post
Looks like it works good
The reviews of this product give it thumbs up
http://www.amazon.com/West-System-65...owViewpoints=1

Good find!
Does anyone have experience with this product? Also, when given a choice of being plastic welded or using this gflex product, would anyone opt out of the plastic weld. Reason being: I have a few minor holes I would like to fill
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote