Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2011, 09:41 AM   #1
StinkyMatt

Lobster experts...

Been to a seminar

Read a book

Searched the internet

Hooped a few times with more experienced friends

STILL have some questions..

What is better for lobster incoming or outgoing tides?

Beginning of the tide change, middle or at the end?

How long do you soak?

I understand that possible responses are just opinions, but opinions of experienced people are usually based on actual experience.

Thanks in advance for the education.

Matt
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:53 AM   #2
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

its called hoopin, matt, stop complaining.

We spent a couple hundred dollars to catch nothing. Just like fishing, but we spent more money on fishing LOL

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:56 AM   #3
T Bone

Yes yes. Never sometimes and maybe

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
T Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:19 AM   #4
ful-rac
Emperor

Come on elite Matt, in my opinion any tidal movement including swell and wind are good. You can soak however long you want, good crawl short soak slow crawl longer soak. Most important to success....right place right time!!!

And if that fails.....just go with jorge....!
ful-rac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 11:44 AM   #5
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyMatt View Post
What is better for lobster incoming or outgoing tides?
If I'm hooping outside a breakwall I like the incoming tide as it pushes the scent from my nets into the rocks, If I' hooping the inside I like a receding tide. Ends of breakwalls can also be good when the tide is moving out. In open water current is more important then tides. You want to determine which way the current is moving on the bottom and place your nets up-current above the structure.

Quote:
Beginning of the tide change, middle or at the end?
I generally like to paddle out during slack tides and hoop moving tides. Water movement is good. I especially like big swells with a strong surge when hooping. Watch for a pattern.... depending on conditions bugs end up in certain areas, learn the conditions how bugs respond to them and hoop those areas.

As a rule of thumb bugs leave rocks early in the evening to search for food, then come back to their rocks later in the night. You want your nets there by the rocks when they are either coming out or going back in. I'm not going to tell you what times to be there you have to figure that out, but I will say that often at certain times of the night it's completely dead, then you usually get a wave of small bugs then larger ones as they come through. So you have to wait it out and match their schedule, and if it's been slow and you start getting a bunch of shorts don't stop hooping..

Quote:
How long do you soak?
30 minutes on average. I run five nets, take a watch, pull the first net after 30 to 40 minutes in and after that pull a net every five minutes. I like to run my nets in a chain so I'm paddling in a line up current. I pick up the float, paddle an additional ten or so feet to get over the net, tighten the rope up and start the pull on a up-swell as the yak rises. Check it then drop, it back down, as quick as I can and as close as possible to the same place it was. I then paddle to the next one, and do it again. At the end of the chain I check my watch, have a drink, drift back down securing or sorting any bugs I have got, then paddle to the start of the chain and start over. I like to run the nets in the same locations only moving them maybe five six feet at a time to take advantage of the scent that I already have in the water. That said if I'm getting a lot of bugs in one area I'll move my nets close together in that area. I other words I start with a long chain with widely spaced nets then end up with a shorter one or bunched up nets as the night goes on.

Hopefully that will give you some things to think about.

Jim
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 11:54 AM   #6
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Day View Post
If I'm hooping outside a breakwall I like the incoming tide as it pushes the scent from my nets into the rocks, If I' hooping the inside I like a receding tide. Ends of breakwalls can also be good when the tide is moving out. In open water current is more important then tides. You want to determine which way the current is moving on the bottom and place your nets up-current above the structure.

I generally like to paddle out during slack tides and hoop moving tides. Water movement is good. I especially like big swells with a strong surge when hooping. Watch for a pattern.... depending on conditions bugs end up in certain areas, learn the conditions how bugs respond to them and hoop those areas.

As a rule of thumb bugs leave rocks early in the evening to search for food, then come back to their rocks later in the night. You want your nets there by the rocks when the are either coming out or going back in. I'm not going to tell you what times to be there you have to figure that out, but I will say that often at certain times of the night it's completely dead, then you usually get a wave of small bugs then larger ones as they come through. So you have to wait it out and match their schedule, and if it's been slow and you start getting a bunch of shorts don't stop hooping..

30 minutes on average. I run five nets, take a watch, pull the first net after 30 to 40 minutes in and after that pull a net every five minutes. I like to run my nets in a chain so I'm paddling in a line up current. I pick up the net, paddle an additional ten or so feet pull the net, check it drop, it back down, as close as possible to the same place then paddle to the next one. At the end of the chain I drift back down securing or sorting any bugs I have, then paddle to the start of the chain and start over. I like to run the nets in the same locations only moving them maybe five six feet at a time to take advantage of the scent that I already have in the water. That said if I'm getting a lot of bugs in one area I'll move my nets close together in that area. I other words I start with a long chain with widely spaced nets then end up with a shorter one or bunched up nets as the night goes on.

Hopefully that will give you some things to think about.

Jim
Indeed

mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 11:55 AM   #7
silverbullet
Crusty Member

Send a message via Yahoo to silverbullet
Agree with that...same thing I do

After that it is all location, location, location... good luck getting these guys to give up favorite spots though. Mine are all fished out now...

Time to find some new places...

Bobby
silverbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:42 PM   #8
StinkyMatt

I don't want anyone's secret honey hole. I don't mind looking around.

I just don't want to be looking for yellowtail in a fresh water pond using bait intended for perch.

Jim, that was very well put together. Thank you.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 01:07 PM   #9
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Quote:

I just don't want to be looking for yellowtail in a fresh water pond using bait intended for perch.

this actually made sense.

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 03:44 PM   #10
Deamon

Jim Day is a knowledgeable mofo...I go when my night opens up and I just haven't seen a predictable pattern. Definitely early dark is best and also right place at the right time. If a diver goes through your spot, pick up and move. The bugs will be hunkered down for a while...
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote