Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2011, 01:08 PM   #1
Boneshaker21
Junior

First post/report... 6-17-11

So after years of fishing the harbors in SD/OC and immediate areas outside the mouths I decided it was time to finally go out in La Jolla.

Arrived SUPER late at about 9:30 Am as someone was coming in with 2 massive WSB which made the decision for me to go out.

It was kind of a maze and a totally different experience driving up onto the sand and launching that way but overall really easy.

Right as I was about to launch I met Dave, a big waters edge member, and he was one of the nicest guys I have ever met. He let me tag along here and there to make sure I was in the right areas and showed me some of his spots.

Overall really slow day but was a great experience for my first time out there. I was only able to snag one squid on the bottom and drug that around for no takers. Headed towards the kelp later in the day and managed a small rockfish and a couple small Calicos on swimbaits. That was pretty much it with the exception of a few flylined dines that got shredded by Barracuda..

Either way it was alot of fun and I plan on going back maybe Monday or Tuesday to see if I can't find my first yak Yellowtail or WSB.

I also wouldnt mind just pulling on anything out there while getting used to the area so if anyone has any tips on loading up on a few rockfish or anything else that would be greatly appreciated...

Thank you al and hope to see you out there! Sorry there wasn't much to report... lol

-Jared P
Boneshaker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 01:15 PM   #2
DESTROYER

Jared- Congrats on finding LJ. 9:30 is really really late. You want to have bait and be set up in the right spot by grey light. I will be guiding a guy from the Mammoth area on monday if your out. If you need any pointers come say hi. I will be in a olive green prowler 15. Good Luck and I hopoe you get your first Yak YT soon. This is the time!

Moyer
DESTROYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 01:32 PM   #3
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneshaker21 View Post
So after years of fishing the harbors in SD/OC and immediate areas outside the mouths I decided it was time to finally go out in La Jolla.

Arrived SUPER late at about 9:30 Am as someone was coming in with 2 massive WSB which made the decision for me to go out.

It was kind of a maze and a totally different experience driving up onto the sand and launching that way but overall really easy.

Right as I was about to launch I met Dave, a big waters edge member, and he was one of the nicest guys I have ever met. He let me tag along here and there to make sure I was in the right areas and showed me some of his spots.

Overall really slow day but was a great experience for my first time out there. I was only able to snag one squid on the bottom and drug that around for no takers. Headed towards the kelp later in the day and managed a small rockfish and a couple small Calicos on swimbaits. That was pretty much it with the exception of a few flylined dines that got shredded by Barracuda..

Either way it was alot of fun and I plan on going back maybe Monday or Tuesday to see if I can't find my first yak Yellowtail or WSB.

I also wouldnt mind just pulling on anything out there while getting used to the area so if anyone has any tips on loading up on a few rockfish or anything else that would be greatly appreciated...

Thank you al and hope to see you out there! Sorry there wasn't much to report... lol

-Jared P
While I'm new to Saltwater Yak fishin', I would imagine the same techniques from a party boat would work. In my Yak tackle bag (that I already set up) I have some "old" Bomber (and B-52) bucktails which I usually pin a strip of squid on, assorted jigs and heavy torpedo sinkers (all from my "party boat" tackle box.

Sorry I don't have more info. Haven't seen many references specificlly retaling to bottomfishing (mostly as incidental catches).
FFY
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 01:48 PM   #4
TCS

Welcome to LJ

I was in your shoes just a few years ago. Totally new to it. The one thing I would do differently that I would advise you to do it: spend the money to fish with Josh for a day, or one of the other really experienced guys. You'll end up doing it eventually, and when you do you'll wish you had done it sooner.

See you out there.

Tom
TCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 06:07 PM   #5
Boneshaker21
Junior

Thank u all. I would love to take a guided trip with josh but I'm a broke touring musician. Lol I will have to save up a bit before I can do that. Is there a website for that specifically?
I will lookout for u much earlier then 930 am haha. I may bring a bag of squid this time to tip plastics for bottom critters.
Other then that I will be throwibg irons for yellows the majority of the day.
Boneshaker21 is offline   Reply With Quote