Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 03-08-2020, 02:24 PM   #1
Ggiannig89

La Jolla 3-7-20

Went out on the skiff yesterday. Launched about 6:15am. Trolled and metered around for yellows until 9-10 then fished rockfish in 85-100’ until 12ish. Looked around again for yellows and found barracuda and calico pushing up bait In and around the kelp. Threw colt snipers and surface irons for a flurry of hook ups. Fun day. Also witnessed a giant ling attacking a 20 plus inch barracuda my buddy hooked up on. Ling attacking a cuda? WTH was the ling doing hunting cuda on the surface? Fun day 61-62* water.
Attached Images

Ggiannig89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 03:38 PM   #2
cris

Nice haul of fish. We’re any of the cuda legal sized?
cris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 08:43 PM   #3
buckygoesfishing
Junior

How do you "find" yellows or rockfish? I got a new fish finder and was wondering if there's something specifically that you look for. Thanks!
buckygoesfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 09:32 PM   #4
Ggiannig89

The cuda were definitely close to being legal size but I didn’t measure.
When looking for rockfish learn how to read hard bottom and structure on your fish finder.
Trying to find yellows is hard. Sight fish by looking for boils, trolling, seeing them on fish finder.
Plenty on here that are much much much better than me when it comes to yellows.
Old 03-09-2020, 07:28 AM   #5
buckygoesfishing
Junior

Thanks for the tips man
Old 03-09-2020, 10:50 AM   #6
baileybikes

My boy and I made it out for the noon/afternoon wind. Straight out off of the point. Is that big white building that faces northwest the condos?

Straight off there in about 60-80feet. Caught maybe 6 calico - 2 keepers but most importantly - boys first catch of 2020 and his birthday .
Attached Images

baileybikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 10:54 AM   #7
buckygoesfishing
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileybikes View Post
My boy and I made it out for the noon/afternoon wind. Straight out off of the point. Is that big white building that faces northwest the condos?

Straight off there in about 60-80feet. Caught maybe 6 calico - 2 keepers but most importantly - boys first catch of 2020 and his birthday .
Nice man!!! Is that the Rapala Mackerel lure?
Old 03-09-2020, 12:21 PM   #8
Ggiannig89

Quote:

Awesome! I think we may have said hi to you.
Old 03-09-2020, 08:16 PM   #9
FISH11

Talking

Quote:

The LJ Condo building that most of us refer to, is the Large grey building that is south of the Cove and like 1/2 a block from the Children's Pool (NOT THE FRICKIN sea lion pool, you hear that Looser Major). On this picture taken today it is on the right side of the picture. Today turned out to be a beautiful day (weather wise, Not fishing wise).
Attached Images

Old 03-10-2020, 09:23 AM   #10
baileybikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ggiannig89 View Post
Awesome! I think we may have said hi to you.
Francisco? I chatted with a few people before getting on my way .

That building in the pictures was the one I was thinking of.

That was a mackerel surface rapala. I also had a mackerel 15' diver rapala and then I put that on a "deep six" when I was seeing pings in deep water. I got the bigger of calico with that setup and about 50' down.

The "deep six" puts a bunch of load on the pole and kayak until it gets bit so it is kind of a pain but can work. I pre-bend the tabs to make it pop open easier since we aren't going 8 knots - that way when i want to retrieve it, i give it a good jerk and pop it free.
baileybikes is offline   Reply With Quote