Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 04-01-2019, 06:05 PM   #1
CardShark

Hobie Mirage Outfitter tandem kayak for solo use?

Does anyone have a Hobie Mirage Outfitter tandem kayak and used it solo?

I have a Malibu Stealth 12 that has been my fishing kayak for the last couple of years but I much prefer to pedal vs paddle so I'm thinking about selling it.

I got the tandem Hobie from a friend since my wife loves the idea of us being able to go out together.
About 75% of the time though, I would be going out by myself.

If I can use the tandem Hobie for solo fishing, it would kill 2 birds with one stone and free up some space in the garage.

Both kayaks are around 12.5' but the Hobie is noticeable heavier so it's definitely harder to move around by myself.
I'll just have to use the kayak cart more on the Hobie versus just picking up and carrying the Stealth 12.

I don't have a truck right now so don't have the ability to just test it.
CardShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 06:18 AM   #2
Saba Slayer

not so much...

I don't think you'll be happy trying to fish out of a Hobie Tandem...only our PA 17 (the beast) is set up for solo use...since you'll be sitting in the rear of the tandem the bow will raise up in the air and catch every bit of wind available...some guys add weight or a bait tank to the front of the yak to try and counter the effect....but it's still not a perfect ride.
The old Malibu II was a great solo tandem because it had a molded seat in the middle of the yak as well as the one on each end...a lot of yak manufacturers tried to copy the design but OK had the patent on it for many years.
While selling boats at the Fred Hall shows I tried to steer couples away from the tandem unless the wife was a fishing fanatic too...most couples are happier with their own boat...we sometimes call the tandem "the divorce boat".
LOL
Frank Santiago tried using the tandem solo and finally gave in and bought a PA...he's much more comfortable and happy now.
I'd keep the single yak for your personal fishing if you have the room...maybe store it on a pulley system in the garage and get it up and out of the way...
Good Luck...

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 08:23 AM   #3
cris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saba Slayer View Post
I don't think you'll be happy trying to fish out of a Hobie Tandem...only our PA 17 (the beast) is set up for solo use...since you'll be sitting in the rear of the tandem the bow will raise up in the air and catch every bit of wind available...some guys add weight or a bait tank to the front of the yak to try and counter the effect....but it's still not a perfect ride.
The old Malibu II was a great solo tandem because it had a molded seat in the middle of the yak as well as the one on each end...a lot of yak manufacturers tried to copy the design but OK had the patent on it for many years.
While selling boats at the Fred Hall shows I tried to steer couples away from the tandem unless the wife was a fishing fanatic too...most couples are happier with their own boat...we sometimes call the tandem "the divorce boat".
LOL
Frank Santiago tried using the tandem solo and finally gave in and bought a PA...he's much more comfortable and happy now.
I'd keep the single yak for your personal fishing if you have the room...maybe store it on a pulley system in the garage and get it up and out of the way...
Good Luck...

I have a Hobie Oasis which is the 14' Tandem pedal yak. It's not ideal from a pure fishing point of view, definitely no Revo or ProAngler.

I do love the extra storage up front. Balance is the biggest problem when surf launching because it is very tail heavy when I sit in the back. 40lb of drinking water in the front hatch usually does the trick though.

The best part is being able to take out friends. I've taken out close to 30 friends in the bays and harbors, La Jolla, Lake Powell, June Lake, etc. It's been awesome and I don't regret getting the Tandem one bit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2053.jpg (49.7 KB, 71 views)
cris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 09:19 AM   #4
monstahfish

I'd sell both kayaks and get a compass duo! There's scuppers in the front seat location so you can put your livewell up there and a fish bag in front if you're rolling solo. Also much more efficient through the water than an outfitter.
monstahfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 12:17 PM   #5
CardShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saba Slayer View Post
LOL
Good Luck...
Thank you for the insight.

I didn't realize the back seat in the Hobie tandem was set that far back that the front lifting would be an issue.
Old 04-02-2019, 12:26 PM   #6
CardShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by cris View Post
I have a Hobie Oasis which is the 14' Tandem pedal yak. It's not ideal from a pure fishing point of view, definitely no Revo or ProAngler.

I do love the extra storage up front. Balance is the biggest problem when surf launching because it is very tail heavy when I sit in the back. 40lb of drinking water in the front hatch usually does the trick though.

The best part is being able to take out friends. I've taken out close to 30 friends in the bays and harbors, La Jolla, Lake Powell, June Lake, etc. It's been awesome and I don't regret getting the Tandem one bit.
Thank you, being able to take out friends is definitely a plus.
I figured launching in the surf would be quite a bit tougher.
Old 04-02-2019, 03:26 PM   #7
igotpron
Xcoastie

An Oasis is a much better ride. With a bait tank up front solo is no problem. A little more challenging to get to all the storage but doable. I didn’t like the outfitter. To short and was a wet ride. If your close to 200lbs your ass will be wet sitting in the back the majority of the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
igotpron is offline   Reply With Quote