Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 09-08-2009, 08:44 AM   #1
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

We thought LJ and the SMM were safe

LJ is not safe on the MLPA maps. At this time next year we may be talking about having the Moyer Memorial tournament in the bay .

North LJ is still up for debate on 2 of the 3 maps right now. We could lose access to all the kelp, and most of the canyon edge.

One of the maps is even targeting the Scripps pier area and canyon edge. No more making bait in the dark, and forget about all the good halibut and yt spots there.

We need guys to show up and speak September 10th at 9am. If you don't want to speak, there will be a couple people that can use your time in a very effective manner.

Please read the MLPA thread. Get your head out of the sand, out of your ass, or where ever it is stuck and help us with this. Attending rallies on weekends for fishing is great, attending the benefit tournament was awesome, donating money is commendable, but to actually get things done you have to show up to these meetings.

The stakeholders last meeting is September 10th.

The Blue Ribbon Task Force meets October 20-22 to decide on the recommended proposal. Public comment time is still tbd.

The DFG commission meets on December 10th to decide the final closure map.

Wake up people. It really is almost over.

Let the Fish and Game Commission know what you think about the proposed maps.

Be ready for December 9th and 10th.

tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 08:50 AM   #2
FISHIONADO

I can't go, I would if I could. I hope some folks who haven't made it to previous meetings can show up to cover.
FISHIONADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 08:53 AM   #3
DESTROYER

I agree with Tyler! This tournament is dear to my heart and I would hate to lose a majority of our fishing spots. I unfortunately cannot make it on Thursday, but if you can, I think all the San Diego Yakers should carpool from the OEX Super Store. When you come back, we will be having the SMMT Captains Meeting and maybe one of you can have the floor and explain to us what is going on. Thank you to those who have put a lot of time and effort against the fight.

Matt Moyer
DESTROYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 09:39 AM   #4
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

The reserve line is being pushed further west too. I Know many of BWE members were able to get their first BIG in that area, as well as, BIG YT and Hali North near the pier/scripps canyon.

If you have been one of the lucky ones to land a big one this year, please attend thurs, and defend these two areas!!!! We need them for our safety, they are close to shore, we can't fire up an outboard when weather hits us!
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 09:43 AM   #5
Dan

See you guys there!

Please everyone, put your life on hold for the day and make it to the meeting! We can still influence where the lines fall. Let's fight for kayak fishing access in La Jolla!!

Today's paper Re: economic impacts of marine recreation in SD:
http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stori...&zIndex=162081
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:10 AM   #6
PAL

Please make every effort to attend - your support makes a big difference in the outcome. Good things happen when we have the public numbers. Things we hold dear are at stake. See you there.
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:28 AM   #7
Corey

See you guys on Thurs.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:38 AM   #8
CurtyL

where are the new maps posted - are these based on the finding of the socal workgroups?
CurtyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:05 AM   #9
Billy V

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerdurden View Post
Please read the MLPA thread. Get your head out of the sand, out of your ass, or where ever it is stuck and help us with this. Attending rallies on weekends for fishing is great, attending the benefit tournament was awesome, donating money is commendable, but to actually get things done you have to show up to these meetings.
The MLPA Process is designed to wear You down.
-Is it working?

I say Hell Yes, because guys still won't show up at the Meeting Where it Counts.

You should be Mad as Hell because You are getting Punked by a bunch of Nerds, and Rich Old Ladies!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Its a Proven Fact that when We Kayak Fisherman show up at these meeting in force we make a difference, and stop, or slow the theft of our fishing rights.
-It has happened at several key meetings during this bullsh^t process.

Then the Corrupt BTRF changed the rules of engagement to dissuade us from attending future meetings and shook off a few people.....Yes it worked, but we got back on track and kept fighting for our fishing rights. We are still surviving!

How about it Guys?
Do we have what it takes to bring this battle to an acceptable conclusion?

Lets stick it to them at these final 2 meetings.

Are you going to make an excuse that you could not attend the meeting because of prior commitment ???

Make Your Commitment Here, Where it is Truly Needed.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have Canceled an all expenses paid for Vacation to Koh Samui Thailand to attend the October Meeting. Now if you have ever been to Thailand you know what I will be missing! Considering my good friend owns the entire resort it may be a little more than you can imagine.

Thats my commitment.

Last edited by Billy V; 09-08-2009 at 11:16 AM.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 01:33 PM   #10
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Big to all who realize the signifance of what is at stake, the games they are playing, and the RR job they are trying to pull.

I will be there...I have some Q's for them...and I will be polite about it, don't worry...

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 02:28 PM   #11
robmandel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tman View Post
Big to all who realize the signifance of what is at stake, the games they are playing, and the RR job they are trying to pull.

I will be there...I have some Q's for them...and I will be polite about it, don't worry...
you might be polite. I don't plan to be. hell, I live north in LA, and LJ isn't my area, but it pisses me off immensely nonetheless. I love seeing all the reports of big fish down there. wish I could head down there more, or at all. and they're targeting my fav spots too up in malibu.

but it doesn't matter though if I can "save" malibu or some part and you lose LJ. we all still lose, period. any loss is a loss for all. the fact that they can do this is disgusting.

everything in this whole process if f****d up big time. the funding, the arbitrary and inconsistent maps, the inconvenient meetings, the changing agendas and rules, the people on the board (as if the DFG guy isn't the epitome of conflict of interest!!), the bogus science, everything.

this isn't an issue of "compromise". how can we say there's any victory when they are the only ones taking. even if no closures occur, did we "win"? hell no. we have no more than we started with. we want nothing from them, no monies, no special privileges, nothing at all. just to be left the hell alone. hardly alot to ask for, huh??

they have nothing to bargain, nothing to offer. saying they'll take less is b******t. they still win, and they'll come back again and again and again and again and...

and the worst part is that they take and those rat bastard mlpa blue shirt idiots don't even gain a thing. they're as lenin said, "useful idiots". they're tools and fools and they're too stupid to know it. "oh, save the fishees" yeah, like the packard foundation and the RLFF give two shits about the fishes. they don't throw 10's of millions into this for the fishees.

I truly feel for you guys down in SD. I have lots of spots to launch and fish. but you guys got one big one. as scared and pissed as I am, y'all gotta be even more so. I'll be there to join in the fray.
robmandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 02:53 PM   #12
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

Everyone, we have to remain polite. Just think about what being rude, making perosonal attacks, or anything else will accomplish? Nothing. It will piss people off, especially the open minded middle ground that would be a huge benefit to our side.

I know this thing sucks. I am very frustrated with the whole thing. I know it isn't even right or fair, but at this point we are playing the hand we are dealt. If we had involved in stacking the deck earlier like they did we wouldn't be in so much trouble now.

Oh yeah, and the excuses of the people that can't make it are getting really lame. I will give the people that have attended multiple meetings already a pass. The same tired example, if you skip work to fish, why not skip it for this meeting to ensure you can fish in the future. For those that haven't been to a meeting yet, or only attended one, what are you waiting for? We are running out of chances. When you drive by your favorite launch spot next year and it's closed down, you may kick yourself. "If only I had attended a couple of those meetings I could still fish."

Old 09-08-2009, 06:35 PM   #13
B Slate

School or mlpa meeting?
Hmmm thats a stupid question
See you all there

I could sure use some good luck Karma
B Slate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 07:50 PM   #14
dgax65
Guerro Grande

I'll be there. I hope we get a better turn-out than we did at the Santa Monica meeting.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:07 AM   #15
FISHIONADO

I really want to attend but that is the only day my hair stylist is available.
FISHIONADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:22 AM   #16
forcefed
Junior

im with rob on this one,
at this point in the process, were screwed no matter what. At this point we should be looking at the appeals process.
It makes me wonder if we had boycotted this process from the beginning, and they had no cross interest assistance in the development, if this whole thing would be looked at as a joke. Instead we can read from them "we have worked together to create this" and we have...
You can just sit there quietly, speak about "your preferd map" thats exactly what they want you to do.
or you can make a statement that will make an impact, maybe even rattle someones nerves
we joined in on this only to become tools of the process.

I for one declare revolt against the dfg and would call them out by name and demand those involved be held accountable.
forcefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 01:44 PM   #17
JrBasser

I am really hoping I can make it, but I won't know till later tonight!

We had the worst harrassment trying to launch at the childrens pool this past weekend. The beach next to the childrens pool had some narly surf, so we took advantage of the pool to launch. despite the fact that no seals were on the beach, and the farthest we got was to the end of the steps, we had a lady filming us rigging lines at our car making phone calls to report us for "purposfully flushing over 100 seals off the beach." She even claimed to have a witness. The funny thing is "her witness" was the only one there when we arrived. After a few TMZ paparrazzi jokes from my brother as we walked down the stairs with a camera in our face, she even made a comment as to how badly she wanted to push me down the stairs as I walked past her. It's kind of sad that we are at this big of a risk of losing our favorite pasttime, yet the evidence against us is, for the most part, a load of shit. Especially when the harrassment on a fellow HUMAN is even worse than any fisherman would intentionally do to a seal.
JrBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 07:32 PM   #18
GregAndrew

I am sure the maps would have looked very much the way they do now without any input from our side. The differences that have and hopefully will continue to be made are minor adjustments to the MPAs but major adjustments to our ability to continue fishing while the legal challenges are being mounted and fought. If none of our guys had fought the good fight we would not be fishing La Jolla, North Palos Verdes, or Malibu at all. The drivers of this process have been hell bent on taking a huge portion of our best habitats, and nothing we did would have stopped them. They have changed almost every rule they have come up with and ignored most of the "Science" involved in creating Marine Reserves. But we need to keep bumping them as they drop their cookie cutter molds into the ocean so that we have something left.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:31 PM   #19
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
I am sure the maps would have looked very much the way they do now without any input from our side. ...
After seeing some of the areas on the maps tonight I would say that is very wrong. The squeaky wheel gets the grease, and we have made a lot of noise. A lot of areas are in a huge amount of trouble, but some areas that alot of people have spoken strongly for are being spared.

Old 09-10-2009, 04:49 AM   #20
Billy V

I just gave 1 more Glance at The La Jolla Shores Webcam.

-Its all the motivation you will need for Todays Mission.
See You There.

Billy V
OUT.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote