Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 02-26-2016, 09:56 PM   #1
JohnnyC
Junior

mono backing for braided line help!!

Hello all!

Just purchased a Diawa Lexa 300 baitcasting reel. Never used braid before, so I went online to do some research on the types of braided line that's available. I came across several threads where many "baitcaster" owners said they almost always use a mono backing on the spool before the braid. One main reason was because it prevents the braid from slipping or spinning freely on the spool. Another reason is because braid is much more expensive and using mono backing first can save a few bucks on braided line. I was also concerned when I read that braided line can dig into the spool, potentially ruining the spool. Adding a few layers of mono can prevent that from happening.

So my question is, since the Lexa series was designed to use braided line (Diawa seems to recommend it as well), does this reel need a mono backing to prevent the braid from slipping pr damaging the spool? Should I tie the braid directly to the spool and use tape to secure it? Any advice is much appreciated. I would like to do it right the first time around
JohnnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:59 PM   #2
TheBoyScout

Wouldn't hurt to do a little bit of mono first but just a little! I run braid on all of my reels and have never had a problem. Braid is suppose to give you more line capacity so let it. Don't worry about saving $10 braid lasts for 5 years. Get 65# braid
TheBoyScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 10:05 PM   #3
Dave Legacy

on a reel as small as the Lexa 300 you might as well just fill it to the brim with braid. I would start with a few yards of mono just to keep the braid from slipping and top off the rest with braid.
Dave Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 06:25 AM   #4
ROSSOLY

Some apply gauze finger tape or electrical tape on spool before putting on braid.
ROSSOLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 07:22 AM   #5
YakDout
Brandon

Mono backing is for the big reels mostly. Examples would be tiagras, internationals, and MAKS. Really no need on small ones. I fill most of my reels besides my surface iron stuff with 65lb white izor to the top of the spool. Lexa 300 size reel, could go 50lb. Any lower and backlashes will suck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 08:02 AM   #6
summers in kuwait

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
Mono backing is for the big reels mostly. Examples would be tiagras, internationals, and MAKS. Really no need on small ones. I fill most of my reels besides my surface iron stuff with 65lb white izor to the top of the spool. Lexa 300 size reel, could go 50lb. Any lower and backlashes will suck.

X2
summers in kuwait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 09:42 AM   #7
Delbrugge4
Junior

I work at turners and fill line everyday. The most common thing in saltwater reels is using braid first and then what they call a "top shot" which is about 50-100 yards of mono on top of the braid. In lm bass fishing people do the opposite which is what you found online. Reasons for that are so 1 you don't have your braid slip and 2 because braid is expensive, and with that backing you don't use as much braid.

If the only reason you want to put mono backing is so that it won't slip, I would suggest bringing it in to turners or anywhere that does line. The way we do it on the machine is we will put a tape on the spool to stop it from slipping. Then we will spool the braid on very tight so that it won't dig into itself.

I never put braid on my reels by hand just because of that reason. Always use the machine.

Delbrugge4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 10:33 AM   #8
2-Stix

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers in kuwait View Post
X2
x3... i run #50 on my curado 300. 5' floro leader, and its knot and taped to the spool. bingo bango.
2-Stix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 08:30 PM   #9
JohnnyC
Junior

Thanks

Thanks for all the feedback guys. Guess I know what to do now. Since I need to go to turners in the next few days, I'll take Delbrugge4 advice and get my reel spooled there. Hopefully, I get to meet a few of you guys on the water this season.
JohnnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 12:21 PM   #10
Wanderingincircles
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delbrugge4 View Post
I work at turners and fill line everyday. The most common thing in saltwater reels is using braid first and then what they call a "top shot" which is about 50-100 yards of mono on top of the braid. In lm bass fishing people do the opposite which is what you found online. Reasons for that are so 1 you don't have your braid slip and 2 because braid is expensive, and with that backing you don't use as much braid.

If the only reason you want to put mono backing is so that it won't slip, I would suggest bringing it in to turners or anywhere that does line. The way we do it on the machine is we will put a tape on the spool to stop it from slipping. Then we will spool the braid on very tight so that it won't dig into itself.

I never put braid on my reels by hand just because of that reason. Always use the machine.

which Turners do you work in? Just curious. I'm debating about spooling my reel myself or have someone else do it while I patiently wait (and shop around)
Wanderingincircles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 01:13 PM   #11
Geno Machino
"Relax"

X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROSSOLY View Post
Some apply gauze finger tape or electrical tape on spool before putting on braid.
Geno
Old 04-08-2016, 02:09 PM   #12
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geno Machino View Post
Geno
X3

I got 65lb on my Lexa 400, and they just put on some tape and straight braid. Haven't had any problems with it slipping. Don't waste space with the Mono on such a little reel.
Old 04-08-2016, 02:10 PM   #13
jorluivil

All of my reels have just a few yards of mono backing followed by spectra followed by mono or fluoro top shot. If I had to guess on the percentages of each one it would be 1% backing, 98% spectra and 1% top shot. In the 15+ years that I've been using spectra and putting it on myself I've never had it slip on me, I've been spooled once or twice but I've never had it slip. In my oponion, you'd have to do a pretty shitty job when you put the line on your reel in order for it to slip.......again, just my opinion.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 03:12 PM   #14
chris138
donkey roper

I will always put some 40 or 50 # mono on the spool first. When you're about to get spooled on a monster fish, the heavy mono can save you when it come's time to "thumb it". You get that last bit of shock leader to try and bounce the fish. The stop is much more abrupt with straight spec.
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 03:22 PM   #15
EastLosYaker

Some good info here.

http://www.jerry-brown-industries.com/841.html
EastLosYaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 11:32 AM   #16
2-Stix

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers in kuwait View Post
X2
x4
i use a few wraps of electrical tape for the braid to bite and run all braid. theres a few good ways above listed, just do what you like.

Last edited by 2-Stix; 04-09-2016 at 01:10 PM.
2-Stix is offline   Reply With Quote