Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 11-11-2009, 06:39 PM   #1
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

The IPA maps

Since everyone is asking exactly what got recommended, here are the IPA maps in the disputed regions. I only put up maps in kayak interested areas. This is not the whole array of closures. I didn't put up the Laguna map since I don't know the area that well and I think they moved the boundaries a little bit and the marine map version isn't updated yet.

All this information is unofficial. Just what I understood from the meeting. I hope this clears up any confusion about what exactly was proposed.

Doom, I mean Dume:
No useful H&L in the blue. They changed the boundary between the blue and red a little bit, but it doesn't really matter since no useful fishing is allowed for us anyways.

PV:

Swamis/Encinitas, no H&L fishing in this one.

LJ

The south reserve starts at about Winamar Street at Wind and Sea, and almost goes to Crystal pier. The blue area is supposed to allow pelagic take.

The blue area along Blacks Beach allows bait to be caught only.

Literally cutting the Scripps Pier in half

For comparison, the old and new LJ boundaries:

Let the Fish and Game Commission know what you think about the proposed maps.

Be ready for December 9th and 10th.

Last edited by tylerdurden; 11-11-2009 at 09:52 PM.
tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 07:26 PM   #2
so cal shaggy

Laguna got royally thrown under the bus to make up what they did not take in PV

Old 11-11-2009, 07:51 PM   #3
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Thanks for that Tyler

LJ N of Scripps, we get phooked...any guys who fish the area care to respond?

Looking at Swamis N, bug trappers get phooked.

Plan to fish Cardiff? Drag the fish S to the 'free' space.

LJ S ? Only to a certain spot, they do manage to wipe out the shallow water spots.

Incredible. Let's see how they enforce the regs at night during bug season in the shallow areas that produce the best at S LJ/N PB.

There has got to be some sort of compromise in those areas, and a compromise N of Scripps. If the boaters can't get in tight to those areas and only yakkers and spearos can, clarify then. Make amends.

Yakkers and spearos will not damage/interfere/compromise/affect the natural habitat...and will not disrupt. Our catch is limited to our capacity.

We need to and will inform the DFG of this...

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 09:04 PM   #4
Afran
fishy

My be-loved La Jolla & Scripps. Where I have spent most of my life in the waters.

Sad day.

Keep fishing guys.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:44 PM   #5
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

Which one of those Laguna shapes did they take? The one further to the south I thought?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afran View Post
My be-loved La Jolla & Scripps. Where I have spent most of my life in the waters.

Sad day.
All the best shore fishing too. We can still lobby the DFG commission to allow shore fishing as I beleive the level of protection would still be unchanged. I think I forgot to mention shore fishing in my public comments for this area.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:55 PM   #6
lambadmin
Spam Sanitation Dept

tragedy
Old 11-11-2009, 10:06 PM   #7
DESTROYER

I guess The Steve Moyer Memorial Tournament will have to be won off the point in 2010. Ridiculous! Thanks Tyler, those are nice images.
DESTROYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 12:12 AM   #8
robmandel

for you guys that don't fish malibu much, that red area on the top map (just west of the big point) is what we kept referring to as BKR (big kelp reef). it is our LJ. it is a jewel. other than yellowtail, we get everything from great bassin, to halibut, to wsb, to rockfish, and all sorts of fun stuff. (with a much shorter paddle and relatively calmer waters) and it's been completely stolen. I'm typing this at 1am as I still can't sleep. I'm sick to my stomach and just lay there tossing and turning. just sick, angered, disgusted.

it seems almost surreal. I still can't believe what happened. I started kayak fishing a little over 4 years ago, and that was pretty much my main fishing area. I could have never imagined something like this would have happened. not in this country. but it did.

we gotta keep the fight going. the dfg has to be good start. the courts? there's no way they can constitutionally bar citizens from fishing public waters. or so you'd think. maybe not any more.
robmandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 01:09 AM   #9
so cal shaggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerdurden View Post
Which one of those Laguna shapes did they take? The one further to the south I thought?
They did the boundary is at the southern end of Crystal Cove and stretches through the entire of Laguna so they got what they wanted an end to end closure
Old 11-12-2009, 01:09 AM   #10
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmandel View Post
for you guys that don't fish malibu much, that red area on the top map (just west of the big point) is what we kept referring to as BKR (big kelp reef). it is our LJ. it is a jewel. other than yellowtail, we get everything from great bassin, to halibut, to wsb, to rockfish, and all sorts of fun stuff. (with a much shorter paddle and relatively calmer waters) and it's been completely stolen. I'm typing this at 1am as I still can't sleep. I'm sick to my stomach and just lay there tossing and turning. just sick, angered, disgusted......
Actually some years you can catch Yellows outside of BKR though it's been a few years since I have fished them.

They come through and blow up on bait as they make there way up the coast to the Channel Islands. Basically anything you can catch at the Channel Islands you can catch off BKR, as it has similar conditions and the fish consistently pass through there, and feed as they move through. It definitely is the best fishing we have up here in the LA area, our La Jolla and they just took it all.

Rocky is over rated as it get's hammered by the Redondo Half day boats, and private botaers from King Harbor. It's going to stay open but they are closing my two favorite local spots: BKR and Point Vicente and the other point next to it down by the old Marineland.

Honestly in my opinion that area they are now closing at PV is a better place to fish then Rocky and a favorite spot of mine for Big Halibut Yellowtail and Seabass.

Here's a yellow I got there a while back:

and a legal C-bass I got there that same day:

I've caught more Yellows there then anywhere local to LA, both breezing fish outside and tight to the kelp. Most people do not even know they are there.

They say it's a trade off but it's not an even trade.

They just closed my favorite local Yellowtail spot, my favorite local big Halibut spot, and the only two kelp areas where I personally have taken legal Seabass locally near LA since back in 2001.

It's been almost a decade since I got a Seabass off Rocky Point. Rocky may traditionally be good fishing but for the last few years BKR has easily been ten times the fishery for C-bass that Rocky has been.

That's just been kept a secret. Since does not receive any sport boat pressure, and it's too far from MDR and Oxnard to make it worth while for the fleets from those harbors, and the Kayakers usual keep it quite about the fishing there, the word rarely get's out when the fish are there.

My three biggest concerns all along when it came to closures were La Jolla, Rocky Point, and BKR. BKR was the area with the least overall pressure and the least sportboat pressure, and the best fishing local to LA.... What a coincidence that it is the one that will now be completely closed to us.

I know the closures at la Jolla s#ck but if you guys got reemed they ripped us a new one.

At least they left some prime fishing open down there off the point, they just took it all away from us at Dume.

I heard Meg Caldwell on NPR tonight talking about how there was a compromise between fisherman and environmentalists and though both sides would of preferred some changes the outcome reflects a consensus that meets the needs of both sides, and is a victory for all because all interests worked together.

What a load of sh!t. There was no compromise or consensus when it came to Dume and BKR they just took it all and did not listen to a thing we had to say about it, and now on top of that they want to pretend like we went along with it or our voice was heard.

That's the way it works in politics, give those with the power and money what they want and then pretend everyone (including the little guy that got burned) is happy for the cameras..

Jim
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 06:38 PM   #11
SeaDog

What are the restrictions on the blue areas in OC?
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 06:48 PM   #12
Royak

Going Green (Not)

[QUOTE=[I]Tman;47173]LJ N of Scripps, we get phooked...any guys who fish the area care to respond?[/I]QUOTE]

I fish there a lot, mostly for quality YT. Usually on my skiff, but sometimes on my kayak. Bait only?! So we paddle (or power) to the Scripps pier to make bait, then go -- how many miles? -- to use it. What ever happened to the "green" agenda (e.g. saving fuel and energy)? This is bullshit and serves no rational purpose.
Royak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 08:22 AM   #13
LORENZ
Junior

You guys use a langauge that's all your own. Talk like a normal guy and the normal guy would be more prone to help out.

Blue means
Red means
H&L is
LORENZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 08:37 AM   #14
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LORENZ View Post
You guys use a langauge that's all your own. Talk like a normal guy and the normal guy would be more prone to help out.

Blue means
Red means
H&L is
where the hell you been all year?

BLUE = STATE MARINE CONSERVATION AREA (SMCA) limited-specific take

RED = STATE MARINE RESERVE (SMR) NO TAKE

H&L = HOOK AND LINE

Last edited by Holy Mackerel; 11-18-2009 at 10:07 AM.
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 04:47 PM   #15
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

The IPA has been added to marinemap. Lets us look at the maps in detail.

http://marinemap.org/marinemap/

Then click on MPAs, Arrays, Proposals
Then Click on MLPA SouthCoast Integrated Preferred Alternative (IPA)

It is about the 10th one on the list.

Red means no fishing, no take. Take a hike.
To find out what is allowed in a blue area, click it and see the allowed uses or read the text that comes up.

Try not to puke.

Old 11-18-2009, 06:32 PM   #16
screaming reel
Banned

Send a message via AIM to screaming reel
So for Scripps it says allow the take of coastal pelagic fin fish. Does that mean YT? Sounds like it does.
screaming reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 06:38 PM   #17
kurt

No, coastal pelagics are sardines, mackerel, anchovies. Bait. Unless DFG has changed their definition of coastal pelagic, yellowtail fall under pelagic.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:11 AM   #18
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

Kurt has it right.
Costal pelagic means bait.
Sardine, anchovy, mac, smelt, squid. I think that is about it.

Pelagic is different.

The Scripps SMCA allows bait only by hook and line as it is proposed now.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:41 AM   #19
LORENZ
Junior

Here's another pissed off moment.

I've gone to the shops, I've asked around in the normal places a guy would ask around about fishing junk. The shop folk were more ignorant than I on the subject.

"Go on the web" was a common theme. The most knowledgeable folks who were coherent were the weekend fishing shows. 1 in particular, and even those guys made my ears bleed. Simple questions like what areas are being closed turned into 5 minute rants.

I'll be the first to say, that these maps were the clearest most accessible info on the closures that I've found. I think I'm talking for the majority of fisherman. It's been pretty hard to figure out what's going on when you spend a couple minutes here and there to keep abreast of the fight.
LORENZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 10:41 AM   #20
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LORENZ View Post
I've been working all year. That's what working class slobs do.

This is the heart of the problem. Normal folks work and don't have time to deal with the take over of Democrats and Enviros.
yeah, I am a bum with all kinds of free time.
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote