Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2009, 08:17 AM   #1
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

Less than 3 hours

Less than 3 hours to email in your comments to the BRTF. This is critical. Yes people really do read the emails sent in. I just got a personal response from a BRTF member about my email a few minute ago.

More info here:
http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ead.php?t=6213

And since this is the report section:

Got this a while ago. Released to swim away.

Let the Fish and Game Commission know what you think about the proposed maps.

Be ready for December 9th and 10th.

tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 08:30 AM   #2
MalibuJohnny

Done

I modified one that had been sent out...see below

Dear Members of the Blue Ribbon Task Force,

I am writing in support of Map 2, WG2, and Option 4. I believe it has the appropriate balance of conservation and consumption, and it meets all of the science guidelines. The other proposals fall short of SAT guidelines (deep water rock and pinnacles at Del Mar) yet have a big impact on lace on San Diego’s heritage of recreational fishing and its local fishing related economy. WG2 option 4 has the most cross interest support and the buy-in of consumptive fishermen.ffice

At one time in my life I choose to become a fisherman. My first job, was working for Frank Hale on the Seal Beach Pier, I was 18 or 19 years old. My first attempt at deckhand almost cost me my right arm. I forgot to let of the chain while launching the anchor. While learning the tricks of the trade, Ed Leyland, Mike Reed, Bob Ezhel and many other Captains showed me how and why to respect the waters of which we ate and earned our living, those same rules apply today. I don’t take what we won’t eat, and we put back the short ones. Not that hard…

Today I am 51 years old and still fish and still practice good fishing management. I have a 15 year old daughter, Sierra Lynn, who at age 8 caught her first limit of Bass on the City of Seal Beachlace. She owns her own Kayak where she has taught many of her classmates how to safely paddle in and around the southern Californian coastal waters. Jasmine who’s is now 5, has ventured out on many kayaking trips sitting onto of the gator seat on our Malibu X Factor, soon our very newest will be taught to respect the waters that we spend so much time swimming fishing sailing kayaking and simply enjoying our god given playground.

There are many fishing communities that have a solid history of supporting conservation issues and enthusiastically following DFG regulations to manage the species. Many of us have not only been fishing our entire lives, but are passing it on to our children, and by doing that, we are teaching them to be conservatives and respect not only the ocean, but it's creatures as well. With the various programs geared towards our youth, such as Take a Kid Fishing, Friends of Rollo, it is easy so see why preserving fishing for our children should be a high priority, and fishing people know that; we practice catch and release, we don't keep undersized fish, and we abide by the regulations put in place to allow for a sustainable fishery.

Kayak anglers are environmentally friendly using human powered vessels. We don't have props that can damage kelp. We have no use for oil or gasoline, so you can be assured we are not polluting our oceans. We don't litter the ocean; in fact we are known to pick up trash, since we are so close to waters' edge. We don't harass sea creatures because essentially we are on the same playing field as them. We understand this; we are out there to not only fish and feed our family, but to interact with nature, the environment, and our love for the ocean. A bonus is that we are being physically active in a safe environment, without doing any damage to that same environment we cherish.

We don't go out to fish to feed the entire neighborhood, just our family. We don't fill our kayaks with fish; we probably take home less fish than any other groups besides spearfishers.

Please support WG 2 for the Southern Californialace MLPA process.

Thank you,

John F Balderrama and Family
Aka Malibujohnny
MalibuJohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 09:00 AM   #3
Matt
Support your local pangas

just sent another email that was far more detailed, as did my wife!!
Old 11-04-2009, 09:25 AM   #4
kayakhunter

Thank you for all the hard work.....

Email sent.
kayakhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 09:43 AM   #5
Sherm

I sent a bunch a couple days ago. When are the lawyers going to get involved and stop this?
Sherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 09:49 AM   #6
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherm View Post
I sent a bunch a couple days ago. When are the lawyers going to get involved and stop this?
Not likely. Hasn't happened in any of the other regions that are finished. I know we had more people and more of a fight here, but why would we be any different than the other regions? Even though we put up more of a fight/got more involved than the other regions, I just don't see who is going to put up the money for lawyers to deal with this.

Just my take.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:59 AM   #7
JoeBeck

Maybe a fundraiser? or maybe some lawyers on here can weigh in I'm sure some of them fish. What gets me is the meetings I went to it was very clear that the majority supported Map 2 and Map 2 made the most sense for both conservation and limiting economic impact. It just makes most sense all around. I know it is not over but it really surprised me watching how they reconstructed the 3 maps.

Obviously I'm preaching to the choir but complete closures are not the solution for conservation, you are taking the people out of the environment who interact with it and care for it the most.

That said, I sent more emails.
JoeBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 10:38 AM   #8
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

Joe, I think it would take way more money than just a couple simple fundraisers.

I was a little surprised that the BRTF ground the maps up publicly. That was actually nice to see it happen instead of hidden in some back room somewhere.

I also liked that they did listen to our RSG members some and gave them one last shot at changing their minds. They didn't liste enough, but it was better than I thought it would go.

That said this whole thing is beyond FUBAR.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:29 PM   #9
Quilted Germ

I just hope our emails and letters pursuade the feable minded just enough to keep us on and in the water.....
Old 11-04-2009, 03:31 PM   #10
Matt
Support your local pangas

FUBARATS(F@#ked up beyond all recognition and then some)