Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2009, 03:22 PM   #1
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

Submit your comments now

Simply put, the most effective way to be heard is at the BRTF meeting on October 21st. In addition you can submit your written comments about the proposals here: MLPAComments@resources.ca.gov

Here are the maps:
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mlpa/scrsg-dprops-r3.asp

or
http://www.marinemap.org/marinemap/

The map from WG2 is the best for fishermen as a whole, and especially San Diego County. In San Diego County it meets all the Science guidelines, so there is no need for additional closures.

All emailed comments must be in by October 10th. I would suggest submitting these emailed comments in addition to showing up to the meeting. Showing up Ocotber 21st is the most important part.

Let the Fish and Game Commission know what you think about the proposed maps.

Be ready for December 9th and 10th.

tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 07:22 PM   #2
Billy V

The OTHER SIDE is ramping up a HUGE Letter Writing Campaign Right Now.

We need to match their efforts at bare minimum.
Please take the time to write a letter showing your support for (Work Group 2)
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 08:35 AM   #3
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Bump,

Guys/gals, there is a request for you to send an email to SurfRider, we also need to send one to BRTF. So you can send the exact email to both groups. This is important, cut off for MLPA comments is Oct. 11th.

Quote:
At the meeting last night, most attendees were in support of the shapes presented in WG3 for north county and San Diego.....please send your specific comments on any of the areas that you feel strongly about to Stefanie Sekich at ssekich@surfrider.org The memo they are compliling will be high impact, so speak up!
A quick email with the subject: MLPA Community Forum Comments
A quick one liner is fine. DO IT!!!!
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 09:00 AM   #4
JoeBeck

Just wrote the surfrider foundation. I plan to submit my letter to the MLPA after my wife proof reads it so it is grammatically correct .
JoeBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 01:55 PM   #5
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

Bump. Last chance to submit your written comments to back up your speaking points. Make it happen. We all saw what a large crowd of well reasoned arguments did at the city council meeting. Let's make it happen at the BRTF meeting.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:34 PM   #6
DESTROYER

I for sure will be there on the 21st. I just wrote a letter to Donna Frye.

Thank you to the CORE group of kayak fisherman that have put a lot of time in effort into saving our fishing grounds. I can't thank you enough!

Matt Moyer
DESTROYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 02:50 PM   #7
JoeBeck

No new news but here is an email I got today for those who are not on the email list. Also Surfrider wrote me back thanking me for taking the time to write them such a detailed letter so they are reading them.

Melissa Miller-Henson

to MLPAInitiative, mlpa_iteam

To: Interested members of the public
MLPA Blue Ribbon Task Force
Subject: Public comment at October 20-22 BRTF meeting
Date: October 8, 2009
Cc: MLPA South Coast Regional Stakeholder Group members
MLPA Initiative staff

Public comment is one of the cornerstones of the Marine Life Protection Act (MLPA) Initiative planning process and is greatly valued by the MLPA Blue Ribbon Task Force (BRTF) to help inform our decisions. In anticipation of our upcoming meeting on October 20 – 22, and building off the recently distributed MLPA Guidelines for Public Comment, I would like to share some thoughts regarding the types of comments that are most useful to us:
·Comments directed to specific MPA boundaries, types of MPAs (classifications) and regulations are most valuable to help us make our decisions.
·Our goal from public comment is to understand why certain MPAs, or proposals, are more or less desirable than others to help us make the best possible decision. Repeated speakers with the same message of “I like” or “I don’t like” a particular proposal are less helpful.
·If you do not support a proposal, or a component of a proposal, please offer an alternative and explain why that alternative is more desirable to you.
·If you support a proposal, or a component of a proposal, please indicate why this proposal is most desirable to you.
·We understand that the limited time for individual comments often makes it difficult to convey your views to the task force. I would like to reiterate that we strongly encourage written comments be submitted to the MLPA Initiative by midnight on October 11. This will give BRTF members time to review the details of your comments. You can then refer to your written comments during the public comment period and highlight the key points. We also recommend that multiple speakers with a shared message combine their time to present a cohesive message.
·Public comment will be taken at the upcoming BRTF meeting on Wed., Oct. 21, 2009 at approximately 1:30 p.m. and again at approximately 7:00 p.m. The BRTF will assess the need and may consider additional public comment throughout the meeting. Please refer to the MLPA Guidelines for Public Comment for more details; I encourage you to take these suggestions into consideration prior to providing comments.
On behalf of the BRTF and MLPA Initiative staff, I wish to thank you for your constructive participation in the MLPA Initiative and for your dedication to California’s marine resources. Please feel free to contact us with any questions at one of the following:

Email: MLPAComments@resources.ca.gov

Phone: 916.654.1885

MLPA Initiative
c/o California Natural Resources Agency
1416 Ninth Street, Suite 1311
Sacramento, CA 95814

Fax: 916.653.8102, Attn: MLPA Initiative

https://lists.ceres.ca.gov/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mlpainitiative
JoeBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 03:06 PM   #8
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

Surf Rider, San Diego City Council, and most importantly the BRTF are all in need of our input. Please write the appropriate letter to each.

Quote:
Also Surfrider wrote me back thanking me for taking the time to write them such a detailed letter so they are reading them.
True. Surf Rider is coming up with a letter of recommendation to the BRTF based on input from kayak fishermen, enviros, and any other user of the ocean that is willing to write a thoughtful well reasoned email. They really are reading them.

Old 10-08-2009, 05:26 PM   #9
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

I got the same email letter from Melissa...when I have time, I will dissect what they are actually saying, or should I say, what they want us to say...

Think I will try to pick up one of the enviro shirts on the way in and see if, since I am wearing that shirt, I will get more time to speak...

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 07:58 AM   #10
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Bump, send your support for MAP 2, while you are at your desk...

MLPAComments@resources.ca.gov

It's Friday!!!!
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 10:17 AM   #11
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Done. And my co-worker sent one as well.

Let's fill up the inbox. Thanks Chris.

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 02:27 PM   #12
roosta

Done! A bunch of co-workers are doing it too. It only takes a few minutes to voice your opinion. Stop standing in the shadows and step into the light for what you believe in. Shutting down our coastline to fishing is not the solution!

I'll see you guys on the 21st!
roosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 02:04 PM   #13
Billy V

Today is the Last Day You Can Submit a Letter Supporting Work Group 2 Map Proposal.

I have been to, and spoked at almost every MLPA Meeting regardless of its distance from my home, and in spite of the cost associated with the travel.

Please don't drop the ball now. What I'm asking is reasonable, and very easy compared to what many of us have done throughout this nightmare process.

Thank You
Billy V
-----------------------------------

A Reminder to Fill Out a Speaker Card before the 1:30 Cut-Off.
so you will be entered in the Give Away Raffle. Seeker, Avet, and $$$$$
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 03:47 PM   #14
T-Rex

Just sent my letters to the BRTF and to the Surfrider Foundation.