Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 03-07-2016, 02:05 AM   #1
Murray

Fred Hall Show Deals

Planning on Del Mar show. Any deals I should be aware of. Need to replace a bait stick I lost last time out. Probably should pick up an inexpensive lever drag reel as well. Also need leashes for rods since I recently learned my lesson. Read that Lowrance seminar was more of an intro class. Can anyone confirm. Any other "must attend" seminars for La Jolla. Thanks
Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 09:02 AM   #2
GregAndrew

I saw mostly the usual deals. Good place to stock up on some terminal tackle and some equipment you may have worn out. Sinkers, Hooks, Swimbaits, Irons, Adaro pliers, Seaguar Fluoro. If you were going to buy a rod or reel anyway, you can get some extras from some of the manufacturers like shirts, hats, sweatshirts and bags.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 10:42 AM   #3
Starsky

I got the Ahi Sabiki Rod for $49.99 and they told me to go to the Promar booth to get some free sabiki rigs. The Promar booth let me choose 3 sabiki rigs and gave the kids free hats. Not the biggest discount in the world but pretty cool.
Starsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 10:57 AM   #4
tamddo714

Seaguar fluoro buy 2 get 1 free. Clothes was my biggest purchase. Bass knuckles had great deals on sweaters and shirts. The beer is definitely not discounted there haha. Have fun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tamddo714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 11:10 AM   #5
JohnnyC
Junior

Plus 1 on the Ahi Sabiki Rod for 49.99 with free sabiki's. Pretty cool rod. I was there for the Penn Carnage rods and saw a guy doing a demo on the sabiki rod. I was sold right away. Big Hammer and Warbaits were priced ok.
JohnnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 11:46 AM   #6
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsky View Post
I got the Ahi Sabiki Rod for $49.99 and they told me to go to the Promar booth to get some free sabiki rigs. The Promar booth let me choose 3 sabiki rigs and gave the kids free hats. Not the biggest discount in the world but pretty cool.
Is it long enough to hold a sabiki with 6 hooks?

Show price is $10 less than Amazon Prime:

http://www.amazon.com/AHI-8375080030...Ahi+Sabiki+Rod

Is this Amazon feedback comment accurate or misleading?:

----------
"it's okay but not all sabiki lures will fit - you have to use the smaller hooks and not long enough for more than 4 drops. Build quality is good - no issues with construction. It is sturdy but not sure I would recommend it since it does have a few drawbacks - small hooks only and when you are using more drops there is no place to secure the line"
----------

I think it's a 7' rod. It seems like a normal 6-hook sabiki rig should fit. Right?

Sabiki rod weights, 10 for $12:

http://www.amazon.com/Weights-Inside...KF1GF4CKR21HNS

I made these compact size handy-andy floating sabiki hook removers. Might be nice to have a rod to go with them.

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 03-07-2016 at 12:16 PM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 11:52 AM   #7
JohnnyC
Junior

I asked this very question. They sell a 7 and 8 foot sabiki rod. When I inquired about the 7 footer, the sales rep said that I might need to cut the bottom hook and retie my weight to shorten the length of the sabiki jig. No issues on the 8 footer. I decided to go with the shorter length because I felt it might be easier to work with on a kayak.

Last edited by JohnnyC; 03-07-2016 at 11:57 AM.
Old 03-07-2016, 12:37 PM   #8
Saba Slayer

Sabiki Rod

You either love it or hate it...I helped design it for AHI...so I kinda like it...!
I'm not sure if we'll have the same deal get 3 free sabikis deal down in Del Mar...I really don't think so since the Promar/AHI booth will not be down there...I'll check with the office.
You can fit up to a #4 AHI sabiki hook in it....the manfacturers all have their own exact size and they are not the same...regardless of the matching number.
OEX used to make a short cut down version of the AHI sabiki stick...I'm not sure if they still do it.
The 7' foot version is really under 7'...it was made to be just long enough to hold 4 of our sabiki hooks...so yes you need to cut off two hooks and re-tie the swivel snap for the weight. The 7' Sabiki Stick is easier on a kayak and so is 4 hooks or 4 wriggling Macks!
The 8' version holds all 6 sabiki hooks so no cut and re-tie is necessary.
I just use a torpedo sinker of various weights for the type of bait.
The build quality is good for a $50 rod...the connection in the middle of the 3 piece rod is tapered so the hooks don't get hung-up and the tip is the third generation model, designed to prevent hang-ups. Often the sabikis will hang up on the tip or get slightly stick...this is due to the sabiki losing or breaking the little dab of glow material and sliding sideways on the leader. A slight tug and release usually gets it free...but it's a sign that it's time to replace that old sabiki.

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 01:22 PM   #9
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Hobie deals?

I will probably hit up the Del Mar show. Were there any Hobie deals in LB and will they be the same at Del Mar?
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 04:19 PM   #10
2-Stix

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyC View Post
I asked this very question. They sell a 7 and 8 foot sabiki rod. When I inquired about the 7 footer, the sales rep said that I might need to cut the bottom hook and retie my weight to shorten the length of the sabiki jig. No issues on the 8 footer. I decided to go with the shorter length because I felt it might be easier to work with on a kayak.
I have a 7', and I keep all the hooks, and cut both ends and re tie for the weight and swivel. Shorten booth ends.
2-Stix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 08:29 PM   #11
JohnnyC
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-Stix View Post
I have a 7', and I keep all the hooks, and cut both ends and re tie for the weight and swivel. Shorten booth ends.

Thanks 2-Stix!! Will most definitely give your advice a try
Old 03-08-2016, 06:05 AM   #12
Hunters Pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyC View Post
I was one of the reps for Promar/Ahi at the show.

Another approach is the cut the sabiki in half to get two 3-hook rigs. It can be a challenge when all 5 or 6 hooks have a flopping bait attached and you swing it into your lap, especially once you get half of them removed and secured. Then you have 3 flopping baits attached to a line with 3 swinging sharp hooks. this seems to be the approach for those that have the cut-down Kayak length sabiki sticks that OEX was making for a while. They would trim the 7-footer down by another foot or so.
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote