Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2014, 08:13 AM   #1
bolocop

Hobie Lowrance ready problem

So I have a Pro Angler 12 with the Lowrance ready transducer install. I encountered a problem with this.

When I went out to La Jolla, I dragged my PA12 into the ocean. When I turned on my FF, the depths were bouncing around all over the place, 20ft, 60ft, 130ft, then 60ft, then 130ft, etc.

When I came home, I took off the transducer plate and it was full of sand. I can't prove that it was the landing that filled it up, but I have a sneaky suspicion that it was already full of sand after the launch.

What have you folks done to prevent this? I thought of putting stainless steel strainer material in the gap, or just cutting an outline of the transducer in the transducer plate to prevent this kind of thing.

Any thoughts?
bolocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:19 AM   #2
YakDout
Brandon

I'd try the SS screen before you start cutting things. But I know you're not the first one with this problem, however it has not happened to me yet.

But after the first time it does, I will be trying the metal, or possibly really fine yet strong, netting material.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:26 AM   #3
bolocop

Yeah, cutting plastic on a new kayak never feels good.

I also thought about stuffing a sponge in the gap at the stern of the plate. That would let the water through, but keep the sand out.

I'll keep thinking...
Old 04-18-2014, 08:28 AM   #4
Fishwhisperer619

The sand that would gather in there would be the fine silt that floats around in the shallows and eventually becomes enough to notice in the transducer housing. I think. Also has not happened to me yet so idk. But if my thinking is right, a netting around the opening wouldnt really help. Maybe having a bottle of water that you can pour into that scupper to help push it out?
Fishwhisperer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 10:11 AM   #5
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Drill holes in the transducer plate to let the sand wash out maybe?

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 10:23 AM   #6
Raskal311

I noticed the same issue on my PA12 last month. I thought it was the dense kelp that tricks to FF in to thinking the bottle was much shallower.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:59 AM   #7
Lipripper92592

I had the same issue the first few times I took out my PA. Don't drag it backwards in the sand, it will pack that sand in like no other. After rinsing out and not dragging the PA backwards in the sand, I haven't had the problem.
Lipripper92592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 04:12 PM   #8
RobFish
Massive Member

Also remember that the transducer is not supposed to be flush mounted against that plate. There should be a few mm gap.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:27 PM   #9
bolocop

I didn't drag the PA backwards but that action is easily mimicked in the beach. All it would take is a wave going back to sea to pull a bunch of sand into the plate.

I think the secret will be to use a sponge to block accumulation, or take off the wheels in the water at launch and then put them on in the water during landing. Or a front slit needs to be cut to create flow.

I've even cleaned the plate from tidelands landings and seen fine silt. I'm surprised Hobie hasn't addressed this.

I also don't think this issue is addressable while on the water. The sand sits beneath the transducer so pouring water from above may have minimal impact. Also, the fact the water is being forced up through the plate will minimize any flow from being poured above.
Old 04-20-2014, 12:51 PM   #10
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Has anyone thought about sealing the transducer mount section with goop to reduce any space in the mount area?
That would minimize any sand getting between the transducer and the mount plate.
Just thinking!
FFY
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 05:32 PM   #11
bolocop

I think I'm going to end up drilling holes in the plate. If this somehow screws something up, I'll buy another one. Knowing hobie, it'll be $59.99 for this piece of plastic!
Old 04-20-2014, 05:35 PM   #12
Raskal311

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolocop View Post
I think I'm going to end up drilling holes in the plate. If this somehow screws something up, I'll buy another one. Knowing hobie, it'll be $59.99 for this piece of plastic!
no you are wrong its $89.99 but it does come with lube for the ass raping. hahahha.
Old 04-20-2014, 06:04 PM   #13
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolocop View Post
So I have a Pro Angler 12 with the Lowrance ready transducer install. I encountered a problem with this.

When I went out to La Jolla, I dragged my PA12 into the ocean. When I turned on my FF, the depths were bouncing around all over the place, 20ft, 60ft, 130ft, then 60ft, then 130ft, etc.

When I came home, I took off the transducer plate and it was full of sand. I can't prove that it was the landing that filled it up, but I have a sneaky suspicion that it was already full of sand after the launch.

What have you folks done to prevent this? I thought of putting stainless steel strainer material in the gap, or just cutting an outline of the transducer in the transducer plate to prevent this kind of thing.

Any thoughts?
No trouble here, sure you get sand and rocks in there from time to time. Solution...clean it out. I havent noticed any adverse effects from having sand in that area. Even if that whole area were packed full of sand, Im sure the sonar would have no trouble shooting thru the little bit of sand that sits inbetween the ducer and the plate.

If your sonar depth is jumping around, id suspect the transducer wiring, or the unit itself.
Old 04-20-2014, 06:35 PM   #14
salty pirate

could also be the battery.
salty pirate is offline   Reply With Quote