Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 06-28-2020, 03:56 PM   #1
bubbacee7

60 minute fight on SD Bay

Have you ever fought a fish for more than 10 minutes on SD Bay? Well I was not expecting anything like that today. Fishinmike and l launched from the Shelter Island launch ramp and wading beach. The water was cool and the sky gray.little breezy with some mist falling. No bites off the launch ramp area. Couple of bites south of the pier but couldn’t set the hook. After a couple hours and no fish landed I made my way south towards my favorite spot. I noticed The lower range marker area didn’t look the same. The water was cloudy around about a 100 yard sq area. Thought it was just the way the current and Tide was flowing. Casted my motoroil green perch grub and Bang! First spottie. Casted again and it drifted then my drag screamed and I set the hook. The fish ran a good 25 yards before I could reel any line back. It pulled me around in circles took line and spun me around. 10 minutes later snap. CRAP!!! Put another lure on and caught another spottie. Then I casted into the cloud again and Bang! I set the hook and started a good fight. 45 seconds later snap! Called Fishinmike over and he hooked something and got broke off. Killing my light tackle. This time I casted into the cloud with something heavier. Was set on catching this monster. Hoping it was a Hali.

Couple casts and Bang! The fight was on. My reel whined and this fish ran for 25-30 yards. We fought each other. He ran straight pulling my yak. He sat heavy and yielded very little line he ran then spun around my yak. Then tried to go under. I had to pedal and maneuver to avoid it. This went on for 20 minutes until it ran towards the lower range marker. Pedal and keep it away. At this point All I knew was I wanted this fish. I kept it away from the lower range marker. Then it ran south to deeper water and went down. My arms were tired and my wrist hurt. Got a great partner as Fishinmike followed close. Then I saw my quarry. Big wings of a bat. 20 yards off my bow. Maybe 30 lbs. Fishinmike moved closer then my reel whizzed and 30 yards of line gone again. Turning spinning running. I was tired. 50 minutes. Then I slowly gained line. As I reeled it in I could tell my line was fraying. Patient be patient. Reel a little run a little. Patience. 60 minutes in and Fishinmike laughing at me. Reel. Reel. Run. Reel. Run sit heavy below me. Reel.reel. Gaining ground. It was finally tired. Reel reel. Reel rod pulls down and SNAP!!! NO!!!

So disappointed. Layed back in frustration.

Tackle up and get going. I look across and Fishinmike is on one. Dragged him 40 yards and 5 minutes later snap. Bang I am on with another on my light tackle. It peeled line like crazy. And I fought. Snap.

I think the bats are mating at the shoal of the lower range marker. If you want to play bring some heavy tackle and your patience. 6 lbs and 10 lbs and experience was not enough. Caught one before in the Bay but that was on 20 lbs. Use motor oil green or a dark green. Be prepared to maneuver your yak. Best fun I have had in a long time. Good luck and have fun.

Final count:
Fishinmike- 3 Sandies and 7 spotties
Bubbacee- 4 spotties
bubbacee7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 06:09 PM   #2
FISH11

Reading your story on the fights, I was saying to myself. Mud Marlin, Muddy Marlin!
Old 06-28-2020, 08:12 PM   #3
FullFlavorPike

Bring the 50# mono dropper loop and some frozen squid and see how quick you can horse one up.
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 10:13 PM   #4
bubbacee7

FullFlavor there is some joy to having a fish pull your yak around the Bay. Some of our fellow takers were looking at me like WTF.
Old 06-28-2020, 10:18 PM   #5
bubbacee7

Fish11 there had to be a ton of them out there. Never seen that area so cloudy.
Old 06-29-2020, 09:16 AM   #6
FISH11

My guess is if there were hundred, if not thousand, that it might be mating time in Southern California. So I Googled it and here's what came up..............
Bat rays reproduce on an annual cycle, usually copulating during the spring or summer of one year and then giving birth the following spring or summer. The male chooses his mate by following close behind her and assessing her reproductive condition by smelling her chemical signals.

Myliobatis californica: INFORMATION - ADWanimaldiversity.org › accounts › Myliobatis_californica ...................
"The male chooses his mate by following close behind her and assessing her reproductive condition by smelling her chemical signals."
.... Sound like a scene at a PB Bar!