Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2013, 06:43 AM   #1
Hondatom

New guy questions

#1 How do you get a large fish into the yak? {legal halibut}

# 2 Is a fish finder/depth finder worth the investment?

# 3 Is it a bad idea to go chase halibut as a newbie?
I have only had my kayak for 2 weeks and have
fished out of it 5 times. Should I hit the open water?
Hondatom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:05 AM   #2
Fishwhisperer619

Have a gaff on hand for the big ones safety is always the priority, if you dont feel like you are ready then dont make the jump just yet then dont. Comfort and confidence are most important, especially in the face of adversity. Halibut take time on the water. Good luck, hit me up when you head out im always in for a good halibut hunt.
Also in my personal experience, having a fish finder has easily made my catch rate double. Knowing what is below you makes all the difference between fishing in the middle of no where and fishing in the honey hole. I wouldnt spend too much on one though, remember that in the event of chaos, you should be prepared to lose everything on board. Hopefully it doesnt come down to that haha
Fishwhisperer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:24 AM   #3
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondatom View Post

If the fish is on the right side, lean to the left as you pull the fish up from the right, adjust yourself as the fish in coming up on the kayak.

Worth every penny

Yes, its a bad idea especially if you decide to not buy a fishfinder.

Find a fishing buddy of hook up with someone at the launch

don't forget your gaff, game clip, club, vhf, pfd, water, etc.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:06 AM   #4
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Think safety and most importantly have FUN!

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:35 AM   #5
Hogstir

Use a net unless you are sure the halibut is legal size.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:23 AM   #6
GregAndrew

Read this thread for catching Halibut.
http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...anding+halibut
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:36 PM   #7
beef78
Large Member

New guy questions

1-gaff if it's obviously legal. If it's questionable i pull it close and slip my game clip in carefully. This takes practice. Sometimes, you can get them with the lip grabber. If you're not careful, they can run and snap your line.

2- i use my fish finder a lot. Helps find drop offs and other structure where the fish are.

3- no, just keep your fingers away from their mouths and do some research.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:52 PM   #8
TJones

keep a bat real close at hand

aim for belly , to immobilize the fish , keep his head in water before gaffing . its strange sometimes they almost just float to the surface , unless hooked in throat obviously, other times they just go ape shet . keep gaff pointed away from you at all times , these fish are solid muscle . picture a halibut slashing around the deck with a gaff in it . good luck .
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:31 PM   #9
Jimmyz123

If I'm targeting halibut I take a net and my gaff. I always take my net when fishing the bay because you never know. The net I use is a safe net for halibut so that it does not mess up the tail. NEVER bring a green halibut up on deck in your lap. Sharp teeth in that area just don't mix too well.

I will net a fish and keep it in the net and lay it across the marks I have for legal measures. Once I see it's for sure legal, I'll get the game clip on it, make sure the clip is attached to your kayak, and then cut the gills to bleed it out. All this is done while keeping the fish in the net and in the water. It helps me keep control of the fish.

Fish Finders are a must. Last time out I was making bait in La Jolla and the bait was holding in about 60' of water. Each time I dropped down, I got filled up on the sabiki. There was a guy out with me that didn't have a finder and wasn't making bait. I told him the depth and he started picking up bait.

If you're not sure of your abilities hook up with some of us who have been out for a while. Most all, as others are stating, be safe.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:23 PM   #10
momo fish

been wondering (not outloud) how do spot halibut on a ff?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
Read this thread for catching Halibut.
http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...anding+halibut
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:34 PM   #11
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

I'm a newbie myself, only been out on the yak about 5 or 6 times so far, and I don't think I'm ready for the open water yet. I've been out of the harbor fishing around Doheny Beach but only when it's pretty calm out. I was heading out Sunday and there were some waves coming over the bow of my yak so I just turned around and fished inside the harbor. I guess it depends on how much nerve you have but I think it's best to hit the open water when you feel ready and then go with a buddy. I know in my younger days I would have just headed out to sea but either I'm smarter now or I think too much or my balls are shrinking a bit, not sure which
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:42 PM   #12
easyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanw View Post
I'm a newbie myself, only been out on the yak about 5 or 6 times so far, and I don't think I'm ready for the open water yet. I've been out of the harbor fishing around Doheny Beach but only when it's pretty calm out. I was heading out Sunday and there were some waves coming over the bow of my yak so I just turned around and fished inside the harbor. I guess it depends on how much nerve you have but I think it's best to hit the open water when you feel ready and then go with a buddy. I know in my younger days I would have just headed out to sea but either I'm smarter now or I think too much or my balls are shrinking a bit, not sure which
Not sure just going for it is the best idea either. Me and a buddy of mine first time ever in the ocean on a yak attempted to launch from San Onofre beach with like 4-5" waves coming in at probably 7 seconds. Got flipped multiple times lost a rod and reel. Good learning experience but deff far beyond my skill level. Haha oh the joys of being young and dumb.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:14 PM   #13
PE.rider

1. Mark the sides of your yak with small dots to indicate the legal size for the most popular types of fish you are shooting for (i.e. 10, 12, 14, 22, 36 inches, etc). If the fish is legal (hence apropos for the adjective 'large'), then you can use a rubber net or gaff if you intend to keep it. I agree with the others on keeping your balance to compensate for the weight when bringing up the fish. Had my share of flipping into the brine....

2. Most definitely. You can mark your best spots, and better plan your trip.

3. You can chase whatever you want, but only the Lord knows what your bounty will be at the end of the day. As for open water, make sure the conditions are safe, and that you have a buddy or two to rely on when trouble presents itself. Otherwise, it is best to have all the appropriate safety gear, and let someone know of your intended paddle plan. Err on the side of caution.

Good Luck and Have Fun!
PE.rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:57 PM   #14
Drake

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo fish View Post
been wondering (not outloud) how do spot halibut on a ff?
You can't
Unless they are free swimming off the bottom but even then, it won't be a mark you can clearly identify.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:20 PM   #15
momo fish

So its just a matter of finding sandy bottom and Fishing certain depth?

How do you know an area to fish for them?
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:01 AM   #16
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
You can't
Unless they are free swimming off the bottom but even then, it won't be a mark you can clearly identify.
I read you can see most halibut on the bottom if you have a Furuno with bottom lock
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:17 AM   #17
GregAndrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondatom View Post

1 - Are you concerned with having a "large" live fish on deck, how to get it there or with your balance while getting it there? For fish that present a hazard (teeth,spines etc.), I would suggest bleeding/beating them before boarding. For getting them there, I never use a net. If I were to use one though, it would be a rubberized small mesh net. I use my thumb, a plastic lip gripper or a gaff for fish I want to take out of the water. My thumb on fish that I am sure present little or no problem. My Gaff only for fish I know to be legal and I intend to keep. The lip gripper for all others. I try not to support all of the weight of the fish by the gripper because they tend to mess up the mouth of the fish. A game clip is not a landing device. A couple of thrashes by a fish with a game clip on is likely to cause bleeding in the gills and reduce their chances of survival. If you are concerned with your balance while landing a larger fish, I would suggest that you straddle your kayak with a leg in the water on each side. Leaning would only be required for most people when the fish is pretty large.

2 - If you are rarely going to go beyond fishing docks, marinas, breakwalls and/or other obvious structures, then no it would probably not be worth it. Other than that, they are generally worth every penny you spend on them. The trick is determining how you are going to fish, and then getting a FF that has features that will help you. Most folks try to get away cheap on their first purchase and end up wanting another in short order. GPS is a good feature, and Color gives you much more information to chew on.

3 - Chase whatever you like, but be prepared for bycatch and/or disappointment if the target species is elusive. I would not suggest heading into open water until you are comfortable remounting your kayak from the water, and are capable with the paddle in a stiff wind (yes, even if you own a Hobie). Also, make sure that you have all of your necessary safety gear with you.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:04 AM   #18
ftufc
Junior

Terrific thread; very pertinent to my recent questions too; and great advice.

I went out this past Monday at Mission Point; my second time in my kayak, first time with a ff; and it was quite an experience. The ff (Humminbird 386ci) was great for viewing the terrain and occasional suspended fish, but useless (to me, being a newbie) in targeting and casting to fish.

Regarding comfort/safety; I got out of the harbor at about 10am (I know it's late) and, to me (again, maybe because I'm so inexperienced) it was rough; 6' rolling swells and 2' - 3' waves; no small boats were out so I figured I shouldn't be there either; I don't yet know what are reasonable conditions, but it was just way too much work. So I went back into the bay/harbor and fished; no success but a crapload of fun; I always seem to run into some terrific people kayaking.
ftufc is offline   Reply With Quote