Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2010, 03:23 PM   #21
metalbob
King of Constipation

my hummingbird does the same thing,condensate,bogus readings over the canyon.However i have left the kayak outdoors with the shield on,exposed to rain,heat cool etc...and my hbird still works well .I just put the dielectric grease on once a month. it'll be 3 years old in august.

I wonder if ill still get the funky readings in LJ if i get the xducer for the trident, mounted outside?

have a good one all

METALBOB
metalbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 04:19 PM   #22
dtownfan

metal bob - you guys always have a sweet team in the little league world series!
dtownfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 05:13 PM   #23
metalbob
King of Constipation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtownfan View Post
metal bob - you guys always have a sweet team in the little league world series!
whoops...updated the info.

Chula was a nice place
metalbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:04 PM   #24
Pescavore1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsafety View Post
I called Humminbird and explained the problem of the unit sometimes only registering 1.2' depth. The technician said that these things can sometimes get confused when the depth changes drastically and quickly such as when we go over the LJ Canyon.

The recommendation was that I set the max depth at something other than Auto. I have not yet tried that solution. They also said that if this procedure did not fix the problem, it was probably a hardware problem which would be covered by the warranty.

I will keep everyone posted on this as the troubleshooting continues.

Bob

Bob
I've had the same problem with erratic depth reading, both deep and shallow. I called Humminbird and they also told me to try changing the depth setting from Auto to a fixed depth. It didn't solve the problem so I sent it in for warranty repair and all they did was a "complementary software update."

My next step is to use use my extended warranty purchased from West Marine, and apply the cost of the ff to upgrade to Lowrance or something else.

Jay

Last edited by Pescavore1; 02-16-2010 at 10:17 PM.
Pescavore1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 06:24 AM   #25
peguinpower
bing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pescavore1 View Post
I've had the same problem with erratic depth reading, both deep and shallow. I called Humminbird and they also told me to try changing the depth setting from Auto to a fixed depth. It didn't solve the problem so I sent it in for warranty repair and all they did was a "complementary software update."

My next step is to use use my extended warranty purchased from West Marine, and apply the cost of the ff to upgrade to Lowrance or something else.

Jay

Come to think of it, I got that erratic depth reading whent he unit as halfway dry.

If I had the option for an exchange, thats what I'd do. But If I had to do a fix, I'd try the blow dryer fix with the unit.

/bing
peguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:15 AM   #26
Scotto
Junior

If you are re-using desiccant or it was not in a ziplock or jsut to be safe, bake it first to get all the moisture out of it. No need to add moisture inside the unit. Dielectric grease works great on those Furuno pins too.
Scotto is offline   Reply With Quote