Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2011, 05:53 PM   #1
premo

catalina on a budget?

So, I learned recently that the Catalina Flyer offers an annual round-trip pass from Newport Beach to Avalon for $300(regular round ticket is 68$ so 4,5 trips and you start saving) and I’m thinking hmmmm, Catapalooza all year long? Since I don’t have a boat this might be a good way for me to do more kayak fishing at Catalina on a budget. The idea is to take the ferry out on Saturday mornings, fish all weekend, then return on the last trip back to Newport late Sunday(boat is leaving at 9am fron NPH and departure from Avalon at 4:30pm so you can come back same day-for schedule info check cat flier web sides http://www.balboapavilion.com/catalina.html so far look like they cruising every day from march to november and limited december-february at least thats how I understand it,please corect me if I am wrong). There is a boat yard near Avalon where I could store my kayak ($30 a month / less if I got more people to do this), a nice campground near Avalon that rents tents, and cheap cab fares for getting around on the island. The only other challenge would be getting my kayak to Catalina which is solved by a one-time trip out of Marina Del Rey. I’m looking for feedback. Is this more trouble than it would be worth or am I on to something here?this can be interesting for lobster fishermens,mountain bikers,spear fishermans...

Last edited by premo; 05-03-2011 at 08:52 PM.
premo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:25 PM   #2
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

enlighten me on the "a one-time trip out of Marina Del Rey." and how you plan to get a kayak to the island.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:43 PM   #3
YakMedic

This sounds like a great idea, it would be even better if I had a spare yak to leave there. The wifes gonna be thrilled.
YakMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:53 PM   #4
Lets_Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus kid View Post
enlighten me on the "a one-time trip out of Marina Del Rey." and how you plan to get a kayak to the island.
Marina Del Ray is the only ferry that I know of that will transport a kayak to Catalina (extra fee). The others, (Long Beach, Newport Beach & San Pedro) do not. Not sure why as I have rode the LB ferry over to Emerald Bay with the boy scouts years ago and they fill that boat with all kinds of things. Not sure if they would let you ride when the scouts are on or not.

Here is a link for Catalina http://www.visitcatalinaisland.com/t...ttleHarbor.php
Lets_Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:53 PM   #5
StinkyMatt

Premo, this has been on my mind for a while now. Please share as much info about the kayak transport as you know.

Years ago I took a light rod and 1 rapalla. I got like 5 or 6 species in about an hour trolling while the wife paddled a tandem.

The good old days........wife used to listen to me and I used to catch fish! Man....things change.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:35 PM   #6
theluckypig

i'd be interested...
theluckypig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 06:54 AM   #7
maui jim

How many Yaks can they put on that boat to Catalina....
Old 05-04-2011, 07:08 AM   #8
Iceman
Administrator

Quote:
How many Yaks can they put on that boat to Catalina....
about this many............

Old 05-04-2011, 07:42 AM   #9
Ed
Fringe Head

I hear the Sheriff boat can transport yaks too if you ask just right.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:56 AM   #10
-scallywag-
Banned

cool pic Andy!!

Any new revelations about bajapalooza?

It would be cool to see that many yaks in Willard, and we'd surely catch more fish!
-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:15 AM   #11
Iceman
Administrator

Quote:
cool pic Andy!!

Any new revelations about bajapalooza?

It would be cool to see that many yaks in Willard, and we'd surely catch more fish!
I sent you a PM awhile ago!
Old 05-04-2011, 09:30 AM   #12
RoeBoat

What hours do the cabs operate in Avalon? How early could you catch a cab if you wanted to start fishing early on a Sunday? And how early could you get your boat out of the storage on a Sunday?
RoeBoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:03 AM   #13
cjthomas

It sounds like a cool idea. I have wanted to camp/kayak fish catalina for a while now. I think it might be better if you could store the kayak at the Isthmus and fish there for yt and wsb (eagle reef, bird rock, cat harbor). It would be a LONG paddle from Avalon to the squid grounds by the Vs and palisides on the backside.
cjthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:39 AM   #14
miguelitro
Team Bad Habits

also store a cheap bike at with the yak to get around without cab fees!
Mike
miguelitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:54 AM   #15
RoeBoat

That's a good idea. You could trailer the kayak behind the bike and would have more flexibility around when you launch and land.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelitro View Post
also store a cheap bike at with the yak to get around without cab fees!
Mike
RoeBoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 11:36 AM   #16
mtnbykr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyMatt View Post
Premo, this has been on my mind for a while now. Please share as much info about the kayak transport as you know.

Years ago I took a light rod and 1 rapalla. I got like 5 or 6 species in about an hour trolling while the wife paddled a tandem.

The good old days........wife used to listen to me and I used to catch fish! Man....things change.
Matt, I believe it is a 60-70 dollar round trip out of Mdr with the yak, we should plan something, they do have Catapalooza, and I believe that is a few day event, I think a one day trip with equipment would be a bit much
but maybe an overnighter?
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 12:49 PM   #17
WahooUSMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoeBoat View Post
That's a good idea. You could trailer the kayak behind the bike and would have more flexibility around when you launch and land.
Or, you could just buy a boat and throw the kayak's on the bow....Get two or three buds to kick in for gas and you are good to go. You could even get a 262 Skipjack and we could all spend the night on it as well! Of course I get to spoon with Premo! Thats the ticket...Come Kent, you can do it!

WahooUSMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:45 PM   #18
StinkyMatt

We were planning a mid june trout trip........but it may just turn into a YT Catalina trip.

Gotta do some planning and kissing butt with the wife.

I don't know about the Catapalooza thing, seems like its an invitation event only for realllllly good fishermen.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 05:19 PM   #19
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by WahooUSMA View Post
Or, you could just buy a boat and throw the kayak's on the bow....Get two or three buds to kick in for gas and you are good to go. You could even get a 262 Skipjack and we could all spend the night on it as well! Of course I get to spoon with Premo! Thats the ticket...Come Kent, you can do it!
I would suggest that Wahoo buy the boat but he would probably sell it a week later...

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 05:22 PM   #20
Iceman
Administrator

Quote:
I don't know about the Catapalooza thing, seems like its an invitation event only for realllllly good fishermen.
There is no Catapalooza this year...........that is not to say I will not be planning a trip to Lil Harbor!