Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 08-20-2018, 10:42 AM   #1
absentx

Hobie Outback thru hull question (when using with Lowrance HDS unit)

Hi All - been tracking a leak in my 2015 outback for some time now. I even have went so far to do a complete mod/replacement of the front hatch seal in an attempt to stop the water intake. Well it turns out, the front hatch is not the culprit at all anymore as the front hatch mods I did worked out really well.

I usually take on the water when the boat is beached/at shore and it rains, or during long haul travel when it is on the trailer and it rains.

After doing some testing with a helper, we found that the starboard side stock through hull in the map pocket area is just letting tons of water in. I currently have the power and transducer cable for an HDS 7 routed through that.

If you are running a similar setup, which hobie insert are you using for those two cables? I am seriously considering siliconing it further from the back side. Right now I am using the insert with the two larger holes, but it is really hard to get seated properly.

Thought, suggestions or similar experiences anyone?
absentx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 01:13 PM   #2
Denis_Ruso

How much is tons of water?? I get about a cup of water in all my kayaks just from surf launches. Pretty normal IMO.

Although if you want to silicone any left over openings I don't see anything wrong with that.

I do not fear the storm as it will teach me how to sail my ship.
Denis_Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 02:19 PM   #3
goldenglory18

+1... how much water is there after a typical day out?

Water in a hull is nominal (this is what dry bags are for.) A lot of water in a hull (enough to loose ballast and sink) is not nominal...
goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 03:40 PM   #4
Iceman
Administrator

Quote:
I usually take on the water when the boat is beached/at shore and it rains, or during long haul travel when it is on the trailer and it rains.
had not heard this one before, little extra goop on the back side would remedy. Some cables do not fill the hole snug on the plug, there should be a rubber gasket sealing the base to the hull.
Old 08-20-2018, 04:27 PM   #5
absentx

Sorry tons of water may not be the best description...

"Fairly annoying amount of water" might be the better description. The reason I used the word tons was because in our test, I could see water getting in through that fitting at a pretty rapid pace, enough that if it rained for a couple hours while the kayak sat beached, two to three inches of water would collect in the rear of the craft.

We do an eight day kayak camping trip so even though I use dry bags in the hull, moisture can find its way into anything so I want to do everything possible to reduce the amount of water that gets in...because once stuff gets wet while camping, depending on the weather, you may not have another chance to truly get it dry!

So ultimately just trying to keep that thing as water tight as possible. I'll probably re do the fitting to make sure the oring and the fitting are as sound as possible then add some RTV to the backside for extra insurance. Non of my other hobie through hull's do this and I have three others that I have rigged up for some extra electronics.
absentx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 08:50 AM   #6
Denis_Ruso

I would just marine goop or carry a hand pump and pump the water out if it builds up too much for your liking. But marine goop is the way to go to seal any holes. If its good enough to seal a thru hull fitting on a boat, it's good enough for a kayak.

I do not fear the storm as it will teach me how to sail my ship.
Denis_Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote