Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 06-26-2018, 05:38 AM   #1
CALICOBOB
Junior

Boone Dox

Thinking of Boone Dox with sand tires for PA14. Is anyone using them, thoughts?
CALICOBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 06:37 AM   #2
TJones

don't like the idea

of leaving your kayak at launch when you go back to car for wheels?
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 07:36 AM   #3
Baja_Traveler

Just do it - the best decision I've made for both my PA14 and my Solo Skiff. I can haul either over soft sand for long distances with minimal exertion. I like having the wheels with me at all times which sure came in handy down in Baja this last trip when I had to portage over 1/4 mile of sand bar that exposed itself at low tide...

Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 07:45 AM   #4
TJones

can you run factory tank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja_Traveler View Post
Just do it - the best decision I've made for both my PA14 and my Solo Skiff. I can haul either over soft sand for long distances with minimal exertion. I like having the wheels with me at all times which sure came in handy down in Baja this last trip when I had to portage over 1/4 mile of sand bar that exposed itself at low tide...

is it advantageous in high surf conditions like 2-3' ? what happens if you roll in open water or surf? I've never rolled an PA on open water, but don't tell me it can't happen. just curious? I would imagine, if you rupture hull that it would be advantageous?
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 08:46 AM   #5
Baja_Traveler

Well, there is a minimal amount of flotation there (compared to a PA14 hull) but I don't see it having any advantage in that situation. I have rolled my PA in open water and in the surf. The wheels stay put and do not interfere with re-entry. I found that with a bulky PFD on it is easiest to re-enter by going straight over the bow, straddling it, then sitting up when I work my way far enough aft on both the PA and the Solo.
You can see that the tires sit on the raised edge of the hull, leaving the entire back open for crates or an XL bait tank - no space is taken up at all by the tires.
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote