Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 08-16-2018, 01:18 AM   #41
Apex Predator
pushpt.com

People who want to stop at 50 miles in Avalon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semper Fi-shing View Post
Any plans to include a group with a shorter turnaround for people that dont want or have enough time to do the full week? Maybe have a group that will return after the 3rd full day?
If you wanted to only do 1/2 the way around Catalina, and catch the ferry when we get to Avalon and take that back to Long Beach, that would be fine with me so long that those who want to, will handle the Logistics for the way back. I know the ferry can take kayaks.

Last edited by Apex Predator; 08-16-2018 at 08:28 AM.
Apex Predator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 01:29 AM   #42
Apex Predator
pushpt.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semper Fi-shing View Post
Might consider taking my tandem oasis out for this trip if i go and just use the front area for cargo and add a sail.

One question i have, and just theoretically speaking, if one has to drop a "deuce" on the water, would it be considered bad manners to have the brown guys float away and possibly hit the yak of the guys behind that person? Being out on the water for so long with so many people, just thought i throw that out there.

Just saying.
I've heard of leaving breadcrumbs but....BUTT Crumbs,.. not so much.

I bet those outriggers make it a lot easier easier to poop off your kayak though.

as to the kayak selection:
I think you are fine with either of those choices, but I like a solution that allows the vast majority of my non-fishing gear to be stored out of the way so that I can fish without obstruction.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:31 AM   #43
Apex Predator
pushpt.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
Anyone looking for an adventure on a kayak?

Read this story. Pretty incredible.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...gtype=Homepage

If that doesn’t make you want to paddle to Catalina nothing will.
Wow, that is Inspiring! I feel lazy for only wanting to do 100 miles after reading that.
Old 08-16-2018, 07:31 PM   #44
Mootaineer
Junior

Thanks for your detailed answers. Relative to ferry letting you bring a kayak back, I thought the opposite was true— how sure are you about this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mootaineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 09:28 PM   #45
Apex Predator
pushpt.com

kayaks on the ferry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mootaineer View Post
Thanks for your detailed answers. Relative to ferry letting you bring a kayak back, I thought the opposite was true— how sure are you about this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
According to their website you are correct, the way it was explained to me is that they don't like folks bringing stuff to the island that would interfere with the rental business. I am pretty confident though that in the off season(After Labor Day), a phone call, a Fee and a good explanation would get you an exemption.
Old 08-17-2018, 07:35 AM   #46
Mahigeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Predator View Post
According to their website you are correct, the way it was explained to me is that they don't like folks bringing stuff to the island that would interfere with the rental business. I am pretty confident though that in the off season (After Labor Day), a phone call, a Fee and a good explanation would get you an exemption.

There are two ways to get a kayak to Catalina without crossing the channel with it, and specifically Avalon. Believe you me, I have done my homework.

One is on a barge which then requires a way to get the kayak from the landing to the city. Or put it on the water and go on water to where you want.

The other is to have an inflatable kayak (like I do) that fits in a carry case.

The Catalina Express has a tight schedule for boarding and de-boarding. They take bikes with additional fee, but handling a kayak is awkward. It will cause delays. The only phone number that I know of is for the ticket sales office, which most likely is off-site.

As to -----“they don't like folks bringing stuff to the island that would interfere with the rental business.”
I don’t buy it.
What about fishing gear, bait or food? There are also rental boats, but you can take your own boat there.

What about cruise ships that stop there, don’t they cut in the restaurant and hotel business?
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 09:49 AM   #47
Biggameaddict
The Kayak Peddler

Apex can u show us your battery setup?
Old 08-17-2018, 09:03 PM   #48
Apex Predator
pushpt.com

The ferry situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahigeer View Post
There are two ways to get a kayak to Catalina without crossing the channel with it, and specifically Avalon. Believe you me, I have done my homework.

One is on a barge which then requires a way to get the kayak from the landing to the city. Or put it on the water and go on water to where you want.

The other is to have an inflatable kayak (like I do) that fits in a carry case.

The Catalina Express has a tight schedule for boarding and de-boarding. They take bikes with additional fee, but handling a kayak is awkward. It will cause delays. The only phone number that I know of is for the ticket sales office, which most likely is off-site.

As to -----“they don't like folks bringing stuff to the island that would interfere with the rental business.”
I don’t buy it.
What about fishing gear, bait or food? There are also rental boats, but you can take your own boat there.

What about cruise ships that stop there, don’t they cut in the restaurant and hotel business?
Yeah now that I think about it, that was a long time ago and my grandfather knew someone that worked for the ferry, so they let me do it.

no one can prevent you bringing your own stuff,..... it's still America.

The cruise ships don't cut into Catalina's, they ARE Catalina's business.

Last edited by Apex Predator; 08-17-2018 at 09:42 PM.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:38 PM   #49
Apex Predator
pushpt.com

My Battery Set-Up Part 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggameaddict View Post
Apex can u show us your battery setup?
Sure thing., I made a couple versions of these battery boxes for different length Trips. When I made the first one, it was just supposed to be a replacement for the lead brick's for my bait tank and GPS/FF.

Version 1.0 Holds either a 1.5Ah, 3Ah, 4Ah, or the new 6Ah Ryobi Lithium Ion Batteries. I used a "Large" Watertight 1.5L poly-carbonate Outdoor Research box from wallmart, It holds one Battery, and with the 6Ah battery it can power every electronic on your kayak the same time, for about 10-12 Hours.

I started by Drilling two small holes just big enough for the 14ga wire that I had, and sealed the wire and holes by putting a dab of epoxy on it. Then I made two waterproof connections on either side of the wire(Male+Female). I had a Ryobi radio, that I destroyed to get the piece of the radio, that fits to the Ryobi Battery. I then soldered wires on it, and connected it to a waterproof "Step-Down Transformer" I found on Amazon that takes the Voltage from 18 Volts to 12 Volts. The Step Down Transformer then conects to the wires that leave your box. I also made a Y-Splitter that lets me connect both my GPS/FF and Bait Tank to that same battery.

Now my Bait tank uses 6Volts not 12 so I permenently attached a 12Volt to 6V step down transformer on my Livewell, so that the 12v coming to it, would be converted to 6v. you can also refer two my previous posts for some other pictures.

I will show you version 2.0 a little later...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180817_221029853.jpg (37.3 KB, 279 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180817_221142460.jpg (29.8 KB, 277 views)

Last edited by Apex Predator; 08-17-2018 at 11:06 PM.
Old 08-17-2018, 11:01 PM   #50
Biggameaddict
The Kayak Peddler

Good deal there that looks like a neat Lil setup
Old 08-18-2018, 10:47 AM   #51
Apex Predator
pushpt.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggameaddict View Post
Good deal there that looks like a neat Lil setup
Thanks Big Game!
Old 08-18-2018, 04:25 PM   #52
Apex Predator
pushpt.com

Off Shore Training Day Sunday 8/19(Tomorrow) 4 am LJ

Hey All,

I'm going to do an Off Shore Trip Tomorrow Morning. 4am launch from La jolla Shores to the 9 mile Bank. About 30Miles round trip. Radio Channel 69. If you miss me on the beach, I will be baiting up just past the buoy's. Or you can meet me at the following coordinates at 9am: 32deg 47' - 117deg 131'. I'm planning on heading SSE from that location, following the contours of the bank. Post back if you plan on making it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180818_172220794.jpg (69.9 KB, 268 views)
Old 08-20-2018, 09:28 AM   #53
Chet
Junior

How do you guys store you multi-days catch?
I guess you will say "soft cooler bag + ice"

Is there a better way? Possibly hard since it's the island.
Last time I was there I only bring fish enough to eat.

For lobster, I kept them in water all the time.
Chet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 07:01 PM   #54
Apex Predator
pushpt.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chet View Post
How do you guys store you multi-days catch?
I guess you will say "soft cooler bag + ice"

Is there a better way? Possibly hard since it's the island.
Last time I was there I only bring fish enough to eat.

For lobster, I kept them in water all the time.
At least for me, everyday is a new catch. As ice won't get you too far. Mine never makes it more than a day in the quantity I bring. Any leftover fish makes you very popular with the other campers near our sites.
Old 08-24-2018, 10:13 AM   #55
Flounder

Sent Email This guy needs in!

I am very interested I have the time and my 2-4 days per week lately putting in miles on the water makes it very doable for me. I sent you an email. ~ WILL
Flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 01:50 PM   #56
Apex Predator
pushpt.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
I am very interested I have the time and my 2-4 days per week lately putting in miles on the water makes it very doable for me. I sent you an email. ~ WILL
Thanks Will, I Emailed You.
Old 08-27-2018, 11:39 AM   #57
Flounder

Just replied

Apex, sorry on the late response, email filtered you so came back on here to check and just found the email. I am emailing all my contact info so we can make it happen. Thanks ~Will
Flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 10:58 AM   #58
Apex Predator
pushpt.com

Manditory Offshore Training Dates

Ok, so if you are in any way planning on making the Catalina trip we have two manditory days to get out bodies and gear staight. Having spoken to a couple of you we are going to plan the Offshore Training, on September 8th and 29th(Both Saturdays). We will be meeting at LJ shores for a quick meeting at 4am then launch at 4:05am.

After baiting up, we will be heading to the northern tip of the 9mile bank(14 miles from the Shores) Plan on a 30mile day with enough water (1gal min.), ice, food and battery power to last the day(2ah minimum for GPS/FF and 4ah for your livewell). Radios charged, powered and set to channel 69. You can call me at 858-792-7600 or email me at mike@pushpt.com if you have any questions.
Old 09-03-2018, 11:47 AM   #59
fishfoo
Junior

what happen
we would like to know
fishfoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 09:15 PM   #60
Apex Predator
pushpt.com

Manditory Offshore Training Dates

Ok folks, as my dearly departed father always said to me: " It's time to fish or cut bait son" last call for for the 1st annual Catalina Kayak Fish Odessey 100. I need a head count for our first mandatory training days. Respond here if I haven't already connected with you. Or You can also call or email me: 858-792-7600, mike@pushpt.com