Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 04-17-2020, 03:26 PM   #1
Mahigeer

How I spent my summer?

How I spent my summer?
Well actually it should be “how I spent my time during Stay-at-home regulations”.

God knows I have so many house related projects that I cannot be bored. Depressed yes, bored not.
So I battled the depression by setting up a great fishing trip in the distant future and learning new subjects.

First I am working on memorization of the Military Alphabet! Often when I phone giving my name, email address and any information that has words in it, I notice the recipient is not hearing it right.
Thus, I had made my own version. Henry, apple, Sam, Henry, either, merry…. Nancy, apple, Henry, item, David.
However, many a times I am politely corrected by the recipient in Military Alphabet.
Hotel, Alpha, Sierra, Hotel, Echo, Mike….
November, Alpha, Hotel, India, Delta.
So now I try to memorize it. Most are easy, but Foxtrot, India, Lima and Zulu are kind of strange.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I got my sense of curiosity from my dad. May he rest in light as the Turks would say.
So I was wondering how the end loop on ropes are done. They are called---An eye splice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeYBkMCQ8WY&t=187s
It is easy to do a loop with a knot on a small diameter rope, but on a rope that is used to tie a ship to the dock?
So when I saw a maintenance man on the Avalon Mole making one, I had to ask. He showed me and I was amazed.
I checked YouTube and learned how and about the Swedish Fid.

1-The tool is called “Swedish fid”. An ice pick or knitting needle can work too, but the fid with its canal is more efficient.

2- This is what I was after. Of Course being the second one it is still not as good as I like, but functional.

The plan is to make one as a gift for the captain in Alaska to snare the tail of the halibut that may have to be released.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

As part of preparation for the Alaska trip, I learned that a rig called “Hoochie” is very effective for catching salmon.
I had seen them, but never used. They have to be trolled, so not much use on piers, I would guess.
Then I learned that there is a better version called “Wiggle Hoochie”.
Needless to say, but I will—I had to make some.
The hardest part was to Snell tie the two hooks not too far apart.
Below are some pictures:

3- Various parts to assemble Wiggle Hoochie. The bead help the head not collapse. The yellow plastic piece is similar to bills on bass lures. It makes the Hoochie to wiggle and dance.

4- The finished lure with added flash that I added.

Years ago I discovered that if I set a great trip, especially fishing trip in the not too close future, I can think (dream) about it when my day is not going so well.

Saved me a lot of money on psychiatric visits!
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote