Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2020, 09:35 AM   #1
FISH11

La Jolla Shores Beach Launch Condition 4-11-2020

Late yesterday and again this morning I looked at the La Jolla Shores Hotel web cam and did not like what I see. It looks like the King Tide on Thursday night might have undermined the really thick concrete end slab on Avenida de la Playa were it meets the sand. It looks like it sunk on the sand side and lifted up several feet, maybe 2'-3' above the street level. Looks like a giant ramp from the beach side. That would suck, it took the City of San Diego several years and 3 attempts to fix that street 4-5 years ago. If that's the case I doubt the City would put that on the agenda as "Essential". It might mean when the lock down is over and we can get out there again, we will have to do like in the past and wheel the kayak from blocks away and go down the stairs. That was not easy with a fully loaded kayak. Much worse when coming back after 8 hours out on the water and tired. Even worse when you got lucky and had landed a nice Homeguard Yellowtail, making the kayak even heavier. I remember the extra work it was to get the kayak up the stair steps with the touring looking on and asking "Did you catch that Tuna out there". Dumb tourist! It wouldn't be the worse experience after what seems like Cabin Fever with this lock down. I would welcome it compared to this now. Here are a couple pictures from one of those trips during that last street repair in early 2016. https://www.ljshoreshotel.com/beachcam
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 37lbYellowtailLJ2016.jpg (58.5 KB, 214 views)
File Type: jpg LJPB37LBYELLOWonCuda14.jpg (69.4 KB, 216 views)

Last edited by FISH11; 04-11-2020 at 09:50 AM.
FISH11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 10:40 AM   #2
TJones

thanks for update

no pics? how do I get to that camera to see damage? or is it even evident from camera? regardless, from what you are describing this is not good and it sounds like you know exactly where this will lead. perfect timing. a bunch of dudes locked up for the better part of spring, and now we are gonna have to try and figure out how to get a loaded PA up and down those steps after a long day on the water. not a bad looking specimen, by the way.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 11:08 AM   #3
FISH11

At the end of the typed story is the link to the La Jolla Shore Hotel web site and the web cam. It takes a few seconds to load up the video, then click on the play icon. If it doesn't work try going to their web site and select web cam from their menu. I really like their camera because it's got great definition and looks straight north up the Shores Beach.
Old 04-12-2020, 07:17 AM   #4
TJones

my bad

. I was going to other hotel camera. its actually an amazing picture between the two. thanks again.
Old 04-12-2020, 09:46 AM   #5
Harry Hill

I can't see what you are talking about on the hotel cam. is it the ramp up the beach from the drain?
Old 04-12-2020, 11:03 AM   #6
stevie951
Lurker

road to sand is fine, tide did wash it out the other day and there was about a good 3-4 foot drop from the road to the sand but the sand was pushed back up the next day.. there were wooden posts notating the launch being closed but those seemed to have been washed away
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lj ramp.jpg (38.3 KB, 157 views)

~Malibu Stealth-14
~Malibu X-13
stevie951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 12:14 PM   #7
FISH11

The area with the arrow always washes away some from high tides, but the concrete goes pretty deep in an angle and the city crews always regrades the area when that happens. It's what I saw on the very right edge of the picture frame that concerns me, because the angle looks to go in a much steeper angle that I have seen it and if compared to the angle of the walkway it looks as if the ramp goes awful close to the top of the drain enclosure. Usually there is about a almost 3' difference from the top of the enclosure to ramp surface at the corner that is actually just out of the picture frame. Hope I'm wrong, it just didn't look right and I look at this camera often and when open I usually fish there once a week. The angle of the concrete when it was washed clean the other morning from the rain was not looking normal. Usually that is a slight slope and I saw a lady walking up it and looked to be climbing up hill.
Old 04-12-2020, 04:35 PM   #8
Harry Hill

I see it now, I was looking for a big drop off. It looks like it filled back in. One of these days I'll get down there to fish.
Old 04-13-2020, 09:28 AM   #9
FISH11

Smile

ALL IS GOOD! MY BAD, it must have been an optical illusion. But more likely the state of mind during this lock down, a bad case of cabin fever. This mornings view has the tire tracks of the city work crews cleaning the sand of kelp as they do daily. The last few days they were not there and that is a little unusual, so I was worried that it was affecting beach access at Avenida de la Playa. I apologize for making you guys worry as much as I was. Glad that there are no extra hurdles for when this is over.
Old 04-13-2020, 06:59 PM   #10
TJones

So it made it through

The kings tide. Finally they got it right .