Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2013, 12:45 PM   #21
Baja_Traveler

I've been thinking about the sail more often since this thread came up, and yesterday when I got back inside Mission Bay and the wind started to pick up I really wished I had one to cruise around with.
Perfect day on the water, but no fish seemed interested with all the bait in the water, so why not make the best of it sailing. Guess I'll have to save up for one now...
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:54 PM   #22
Iceman
Administrator

As far as CF numbers go, you should not need them unless the sail is the primary propulsion. I have talked to the harbor patrol up here and he told me I'd be ok with the AI and no CF. ya never know, you may run into Barney Fife, but I risk it.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:22 PM   #23
fishingfiend

Good info, I'll be sure to use the primary propulsion argument if I get roughed up.

Mobie Hobie's post nailed it. I got a sail a couple of weeks ago and surprisingly, I'm really enjoying it. I'm no master and there is still lots to learn, but basic skills come quickly and the hobie sail kit is very forgiving. A couple of 15+ blasts up at silverwood were sketchy, but you learn to handle the sail control line.

I've bay fished with the sail up and furled, doable, but better put away. You can also tuck the sail to the side for clearance and it's not that bad. Access to the rear rod holder is doable, but the extender will make putting the sail away difficult.

If you want to use the livewell and sail, you're going to have to start getting rollers to route the control line to the side. I'm enjoying it enough that I'm trying to figure this out.

Here are some pics that will hopefully get others to start sailing their PA's.

fishingfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:22 PM   #24
Jfish36

Check out this site

You should check out this site on how to make your own sail http://mikesyakingadventures.com/

It would probably cost you $30 in parts and look very easy to make befor you spend couple hundred dollars. You can use a clear shower curtin from Target for $4.00 to make the mask.
Jfish36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:38 AM   #25
Baja_Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfish36 View Post
You should check out this site on how to make your own sail http://mikesyakingadventures.com/

It would probably cost you $30 in parts and look very easy to make befor you spend couple hundred dollars. You can use a clear shower curtin from Target for $4.00 to make the mask.
I've seen that sail setup before - only problem with it is you are limited to dead down wind. With the Hobie sail you have the ability to tack back upwind and sail crosswind, so it's hugely more versatile. But you are paying close to $400 for the priviledge...
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote