Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2012, 10:09 PM   #1
Biggameaddict
The Kayak Peddler

Its a late report i promised 09/10/12

Well first off i want to thank eveyrbody here on BWE and FNN and all the countless articles online about fishing for always helping me out to land my first flattie. You guys have always helped me out with every question i had now i want to give back. And sorry for the lack of pics, i broke my iphone and misplaced my camera so i had to use the cheap back up phone.
I hadnt been fishing in a month and i had the crave to get back on the water. The last time i caught fish was with the guide Trout only But really i wasnt feeling the success of fishing. I wanted to go out there on my own and catch my own fish. I didnt have a bait tank so the night before i made a bait tube out of 3" pvc pipe, the guy at the bait barge wasnt too happy about it.
I woke up 4:30am and set up all my gear by 5:30. i go to call my dad and hes still asleep. ended up leaving at 6 and got there at 7. i was on the water 7:30. I have no fish finder but thanks to a member on bigwatersedge i got a good idea of where to start. thanks alot. i headed straight to the bait barge and bought bait. they were nice sardines and i stuffed em in the tube. i paddled my way to the spot i was told about and made a drift. i had two rods in the water, one was a 15lb 3 way swivel rig, 30" down to a 8 oz sinker, and a 36" leader to a size 1 mustad live bait hook with a size 6 treble stinger. the other rod was a 12lb drop shot size 1 hook no stinger 30" down to a 6 oz torpedo. well on that first drift i got short bit on the drop shot and the bait was thrashed by the gill. This got me reak happy cause i knew there was fish around. made the second drift and got stuck in kelp but luckily i got freed. didnt mind doing the second drift so i just set up my position and made a long 45 minute drift . well as i was doing the drift it was a pretty long time with no bites so i started to check the baits. reeled in the drop shot aand to my surprise no bait . i reeled in the 3 way swivel rod and im reeling in, slowly, the line gets near the boat and im about to bring it up when i feel a "Thud", my heart dropped, and in an instant the lines starts peeling like crazy and my rod is complete bendo with the tip in the water. well this only lasted a few seconds and i start reeling again. i feel heavy weight and im anxious to see whats on the end of the line, im thinking halibut, no shark, no ray,no.... and i hear a thud on my yak. i look toward the direction of the thud and i see, with such beutiful light brown color a giant halibut. i couldnt believe my eyes and i started screaming at the top of my lungs "YEAH YAH F*** YEAH DAMN COME HERE" and so on. i brought him next to the yak, grabbed him by the gills and threw him on my lap. once he got on my lap we went ballistic and jumped back in the wtaer. i thought hes gone but the treble hook was stuck in his hard bony area. luckily i brought a clip with my i bought from kmart and clipped him on. hes mine now. my bait was dead by now so i made another drift with the 3 way swivel and drifted. i tried to eat my sandwich from subway but right then i got another hit. it faught pretty good and i thought it was a short hali. turned out to be a 20" leo that i threw back. didnt want to mess with him in the yak. i had no more bait and nothing to do so i paddled back to the dock. i tied the yak on and went home. we ended up gutting the hali and eating it that same day. those fish tase so good! i only got two pics of it but it was 30 inches. i promise to have a better, shorter report next time. again thanks to everybody for their help and support throughout this time. and to the people like me at home who think they will never catch a fish, just go out and fish, i had no fishfinder, no bait tank, only a couple rods and my bait tube that dragged my like crazy. good night and god bless.

Biggameaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:20 PM   #2
NextBite

Nice Hali Art
NextBite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:23 PM   #3
todd one

Nice! Your story was well told too.
todd one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:25 PM   #4
todd one

Where were you, in the bay or ocean?
todd one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:29 PM   #5
NextBite

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd one View Post
Where were you, in the bay or ocean?
The ocean
Old 10-01-2012, 10:55 PM   #6
Bennyblanco
Ironman

Great story,makes me feel like I was there.a
Bennyblanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:02 AM   #7
jorluivil

That thing looks more like 30lbs and not 30inches

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:18 AM   #8
mtnbykr2

congrats on that catch, well done, and even with limited equipment...that is how it's done....just fish....
Old 10-02-2012, 08:31 AM   #9
tehburninator

love the story telling, definitely makes me feel like i was next to you watching it unfold.

and congrats on the hali!

i've yet to hit the 30in mark... some day... some day
tehburninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:49 AM   #10
Biggameaddict
The Kayak Peddler

Thanks alot for your help too i wouldnt know where to start of i hadnt asked here. It was about 9 pounds enough to feed the whole family and then some.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:06 PM   #11
Poxy Boggards

Where were you fishing, you left that part out of the report.
Poxy Boggards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:35 PM   #12
ful-rac
Emperor

Looks like you hugged the damn thing so hard you just about popped his head off!!!!
Old 10-02-2012, 02:47 PM   #13
StinkyMatt

Yeah baby! So glad that worked out for you. Your report was cool, felt the excitement.

Nice Hali

StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:10 PM   #14
GregAndrew

WTG!! Lots of times it is just about getting on the water, not having every gadget, gizmo and technique down to a science. But I would invest a few bucks in a gaff or net if I were you. Can't tell you how many times I have landed (and lost) a Halibut that was just hooked by a small piece of skin. Oh yeah, make sure the gaff is sharp too
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:14 PM   #15
mtnbykr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
Looks like you hugged the damn thing so hard you just about popped his head off!!!!
I have done that before...lol...
Old 10-02-2012, 06:20 PM   #16
Vikingj

Great report and nice fish! I know there is a 36+" one waiting for you but you will definitely need a GAFF! If you think a 30" goes ballistic you ain't seen nothing yet!
Wayne
Vikingj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:52 PM   #17
NextBite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poxy Boggards View Post
Where were you fishing, you left that part out of the report.
The ocean
Old 10-03-2012, 09:13 AM   #18
Poxy Boggards

Quote:
Originally Posted by NextBite View Post
The ocean
Man I was hoping it was Anaheim Lake.
Poxy Boggards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:52 PM   #19
Oxbeast1210

Asesome thanks for the report cant wait to get my first!
Oxbeast1210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:26 PM   #20
Biggameaddict
The Kayak Peddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
it kinda does huh no that was when my dad cut the head gills out to cook it.