Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2011, 03:33 PM   #1
Jimmyz123

My first Launch from LJ

Met up with Old_Rookie and launched this morning from LJ.

The launch was beautiful this morning and the surf was nothing to worry about. We launched a little after 7 A.M. and headed out to make bait.

Once we were set with bait we started to troll. We trolled around for a while when we say some birds crashing the water and we paddled over to see if we could find some love.

As you can see Rookie was right in the middle of the birds. This happened 2 or three times and we were the only ones around it. Nothing was taking the bait but we saw dolphins, Sea Lions, and birds.

It was a beautiful day in La Jolla too bad we didn't catch anything to write home about. The bright spot is I did not flip on the launch or the landing.

Last edited by Jimmyz123; 02-05-2011 at 06:59 PM. Reason: added photo
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 04:51 PM   #2
JoeBeck

Nice pictures and it looks like an enjoyable 1st day on the water at LJ. I launched at 5:00am fished until 2:00pm. Caught nice greenbacks for bait as well as lots of fresh squid. Covered a lot of ground, saw a lot of bait balls, and birds as well. No takers on either bait and no bites on the iron. Kept waiting for it but no go, lots of life out there though. Your pictures show how calm the water was, like a lake.

Other sites were a whale and lots of dolphins. Pretty sure I saw you guys from a distance in all those birds. I was paddling over the canyon heading towards Blacks. That was probably around noon.

Sunrise was insane, the sky looked like it was on fire. Well no salt water fishing for me for a couple weeks. Have to work then out of town. Fished some solid hours this last week trying to get the WCW jackpot. to whoever gets that 1st big fish.

Last edited by JoeBeck; 02-05-2011 at 05:03 PM.
JoeBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 05:22 PM   #3
old_rookie

Yeah it was a good outing today.
Yes that it is a good thing YOU didn't flip it on the landing. Well, I didn't flip either, it was more of a fell off....

Never say "looks like it won't be a problem at all...."
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 06:12 PM   #4
Iceman
Administrator

never post a pic of another man's ......bird pile
Old 02-05-2011, 07:02 PM   #5
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Hey Ice, is that another one of those unwritten rules that I broke?
Old 02-05-2011, 08:23 PM   #6
Nic D

Quote:
instant classic
Nic D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:00 PM   #7
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:20 PM   #8
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Thanks guys for the nice report. Kind of like my tourist trip last week. If you get skunked on a "whale watching trip", it does not count as a skunk.

Jimmy, great to hear that you finally made it to the big water. The launch won't always be as easy but you will learn your limits. One day you will be a grizzled old salt like Skallywag... oh wait, he is younger than just about all of us. Maybe grizzled is not the correct word to use.

Anyway, you probably know what I am getting at. Time on the water is time on the water. Skally, and a bunch of others have earned their stripes. They have also learned a lot along the way. The more you go, the more you know.

La Jolla is a beautiful place on days like today. It gets even better when the fish are biting. Soon, hopefully very soon.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 06:05 AM   #9
Jimmyz123

I noticed that not many Kayak fisherman were out there so I also figured that the wait is on for someone to start hooking up.

I still want to go to La Jolla one day when the surf is bigger, or go to a beach that I know has a bigger break and launch to get use to the landing and launching when the surf is a little more challenging. Going off of a Jim Sammons video on YouTube, I want to be 100% sure and comfortable with that I am doing in all phases of kayaking. It was really nice catching that small wave coming in and applying what I had seen, and new from surfing, to my landing.

Mark may words you'll see me with a big fish this year.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:19 AM   #10
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Just about every beach in the county will have bigger waves than the launch on most days. If you want to practice launching and landing you can do it anywhere, as long as you stay out of designated swimming areas.

I would give Tourmaline, Mission Beach or OB a try but be careful, the surf at these beaches can often be way larger than what can be safely navigated in a kayak.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 07:34 AM   #11
old_rookie

I'd stick with LJ and when the surf is larger than yesterday, you'll get your practice handling it. I made the mistake of launching from San Elijo in huge surf. Going out was ok, but a challenge, returning was a different story.
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 07:37 AM   #12
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsafety View Post
Just about every beach in the county will have bigger waves than the launch on most days. If you want to practice launching and landing you can do it anywhere, as long as you stay out of designated swimming areas.

I would give Tourmaline, Mission Beach or OB a try but be careful, the surf at these beaches can often be way larger than what can be safely navigated in a kayak.

Bob
Very good points. I think one day I'll make it a day with the family. We can all go down there and play in the water. Should be fun times.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:42 AM   #13
ratdog

I was out yesterday morning also, no luck for me either. Definitely a beautiful morning.
ratdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 01:39 PM   #14
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratdog View Post
I was out yesterday morning also, no luck for me either. Definitely a beautiful morning.
What time did you launch? I think I may have seen you.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:41 PM   #15
dorado50

Its (Pacific Ocean) sorta like the zoo, oh look a dolphin....look at that little sea lion...and the birds are beautiful too...
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 05:09 PM   #16
Matt
Support your local pangas

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado50 View Post
Its (Pacific Ocean) sorta like the zoo, oh look a dolphin....look at that little sea lion...and the birds are beautiful too...
Hahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!