Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 09-06-2022, 12:04 PM   #1
ajthegirldadayala
Junior

9/2/22 Late Report Huntington Harbor

So my wife signed my permission slip and I was able to get out on Friday afternoon. Took my rig to work with me for an after work session in Huntington Harbor. Launched at Portofino Cove around 2:45 pm. Headed straight for the shoal next to the boat launch and nature preserve on the north east side of the harbor. I have had a lot of luck there. I got a couple of bumps fishing on a white/chartreuse Gulp Mantis Shrimp on the drop shot but no takers. Switched up to my "ole faithful" new penny colored Gulp Mantis Shrimp. Two cast in around 3:30 pm, and I got a hard thud and the line went slack. As I reeled in the slack into some tension the line immediately blew up and drag started peeling. I could tell it was a halibut based on the hook up and head shakes. I got it to the side of my kayak but every time it saw the boat or felt the net get close it would dive down and run. I brought my small net which made this task even more difficult. I finally got it in the net on the tail side and was able to swing the fish in to my kayak. It was clearly a keeper but I took a measurement just to be a safe and it came in at 25.25" I did not have a scale for weight but I estimate 10-12#. The fish INHALED my bait and hook so I did harvest it because it would not have survived AND it was legal. We had halibut tacos all weekend and my wife was happy I was home 3 hours sooner than expected.

Kayak:BKC-PK12
Rod: Shimano Clarus
Reel: Diawa Costal TW
Line: 20# Power Pro
Leader: 10# Ande mono
Bait: Berkley Gulp Mantis Shrimp - New Penny
Tide: High and Outgoing
Weather: 90* sunny, breezy
Attached Images

Last edited by ajthegirldadayala; 09-06-2022 at 12:22 PM.
ajthegirldadayala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 01:54 PM   #2
yakjoe

Good fishing
Taco time
keep trying they will get Bigger
showing your spot hope you don't have 15 yaks never ben there try take your fish good luck be safe
yakjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 04:47 PM   #3
daperrin
www.TheKayakLaunch

awesome!

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@thekayaklaunch
https://www.instagram.com/thekayaklaunch
daperrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 10:20 AM   #4
fishnfoool

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakjoe View Post
Good fishing
Taco time
keep trying they will get Bigger
showing your spot hope you don't have 15 yaks never ben there try take your fish good luck be safe
I hope you brought your label maker and marked your fishing spot in the public harbor so no one else takes your spot. You don't want people catching all your fish in the ocean.
fishnfoool is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bkc, diawa, gulp, halibut, shimano