Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 11-10-2022, 07:54 AM   #1
JasonG

Group Order - Kayak Trailers?

I just downsized my vehicle and am considering a trailer. I’m looking at the Ruff-Sport galvanized trailer by Right-on. It lists for $849 on their website, but shipping is $300 to SD for one. I’d like to put together a bulk order (4 or more) to save on shipping. I should be able to have them delivered for around $850. Anyone interested in going in on this? Send me a DM.

Thanks!
JasonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 11:59 AM   #2
Mahigeer

Not to rain on your parade, but the minus side of using trailer is finding street parking for both (the vehicle and the trailer) at the same time.

Unless you park at the marinas where there is trailer parking, it will be challenging.

I too really wanted a trailer, but the parking issue kept me from getting one.

I invested in Thule Helavator (spl?).
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 04:48 PM   #3
JasonG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahigeer View Post
Not to rain on your parade, but the minus side of using trailer is finding street parking for both (the vehicle and the trailer) at the same time.

Unless you park at the marinas where there is trailer parking, it will be challenging.

I too really wanted a trailer, but the parking issue kept me from getting one.

I invested in Thule Helavator (spl?).
Yeah… it’s definitely a concern to me. I’ve been car topping two Outback’s on a Jeep GC, which worked well. Downsized to a commuter car. I could car top one, but if I want to take my kid with me, I’ll need a trailer for two of them. I figured I’m just going to be stuck getting there VERY early. Ha

Having said that, I really like the idea of setting everything up in my garage the night before, then just launch and go the next morning. Then load up and go straight home with everything still on the yaks. That might make up for the hassle of finding parking.
Old 11-11-2022, 08:21 AM   #4
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonG View Post
I just downsized my vehicle and am considering a trailer. IÂ’m looking at the Ruff-Sport galvanized trailer by Right-on. It lists for $849 on their website, but shipping is $300 to SD for one. IÂ’d like to put together a bulk order (4 or more) to save on shipping. I should be able to have them delivered for around $850. Anyone interested in going in on this? Send me a DM.

Thanks!
That is optimistic to hopefully find 3 other yakers that just happen to be interested in the same trailer right now. If you were to go with harbor freight, you could just pick it up.

https://www.harborfreight.com/automo...ler-62671.html

The quality is not the same, but maybe invest in a gel coat for extra protection to compensate for the lack of galvanization.

Might also check Offer Up and Craigslist for other possible options. Good luck with your purchase.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 04:04 PM   #5
jruiz
Large Member

700 miles round trip to dealer in Mesa/ 25 mpgX$5/gal =$140. I'm guessing gas is cheaper in Arizona.
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 05:18 PM   #6
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Location: Where ever I may roam where I lay my head I call home.
Send a message via AIM to MITCHELL
I had that same harbor freight trailer ordered

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMckroidJr View Post
That is optimistic to hopefully find 3 other yakers that just happen to be interested in the same trailer right now. If you were to go with harbor freight, you could just pick it up.

https://www.harborfreight.com/automo...ler-62671.html

The quality is not the same, but maybe invest in a gel coat for extra protection to compensate for the lack of galvanization.

Might also check Offer Up and Craigslist for other possible options. Good luck with your purchase.
But they set back my delivery date, to many months and I backed out. Because of covid 19, so I ended up building a trailer twice that size.
I'm glad I did because going up to the sierras worked out way better with the trailer I built don't regret spending the extra money. Wasn't much on Craigslist at the time as far as trailers.

Last edited by MITCHELL; 11-11-2022 at 05:30 PM.
MITCHELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 07:02 AM   #7
JohnMckroidJr

Harbor Freight Trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHELL View Post
But they set back my delivery date, to many months and I backed out. Because of covid 19, so I ended up building a trailer twice that size.
I'm glad I did because going up to the sierras worked out way better with the trailer I built don't regret spending the extra money. Wasn't much on Craigslist at the time as far as trailers.
No ordering is required. Harbor Freight has the trailer in stock at Chula Vista.
Old 11-12-2022, 10:49 AM   #8
JasonG

So I ended up finding a good deal on the CE Smith Multisport Plus trailer and pulled the trigger on that one instead. 800lb capacity and bigger wheels, should be more than enough trailer for two Outbacks.

Not a lot of interest in the bulk order, ha.
Old 11-12-2022, 03:46 PM   #9
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Location: Where ever I may roam where I lay my head I call home.
Send a message via AIM to MITCHELL
Is this now

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMckroidJr View Post
No ordering is required. Harbor Freight has the trailer in stock at Chula Vista.
Or 2020 when I had to order
Old 11-13-2022, 09:05 AM   #10
Mahigeer

Quote:
So I ended up finding a good deal on the CE Smith Multisport Plus trailer and pulled the trigger on that one instead. 800lb capacity and bigger wheels, should be more than enough trailer for two Outbacks.

Not a lot of interest in the bulk order, ha.
Glad it worked out for you.

Tight lines.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 09:19 AM   #11
Pinhead
We all Stink Sometimes!

As another possible idea, look around for a used jet ski trailer. I purchased a used double jet ski trailer for $300. I put new tires @ $200, adjusted the bunks and fixed the wiring myself. It's overkill for my PA14, but will last years. Just a thot.........
Pinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 03:07 AM   #12
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHELL View Post
Or 2020 when I had to order
Covid was a different time, much more stuff is readily available in stock these days.

Quote:
Sounds good, Congratulations on your purchase!