Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 11-07-2022, 11:08 AM   #1
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

Swordfish on the Kaboat

I know there’s a few solo skiffs and motorized kayaks on here that still post. Just wanted to share the swordfish I got here in San Diego last week off my inflatable Kaboat (kayak boat). Which is really an inflatable skiff.

https://youtu.be/DIK6hwq-XJo
Old 11-07-2022, 11:23 AM   #2
Oolie
Headshots Only

Congrats!
Fine eats right there.
Oolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 12:38 AM   #3
JohnMckroidJr

Very inspirational! Curious as to the depth and manner of fishing employed? Noted you used mono. Most of the action of Florida is taken with braid and electric reels -- hardly fishing IMHO. Still on my Bucket list. For Florida the smaller fish can be taken at night as shallow as 800ft, but the big boys -- like the one you took are out in 1200-2000 in the gulf stream, which has 2-5kts of current to complicate the matter. Very stoked for you! Takes some confidence to pursue that on an inflatable boat. Congratulations!
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 05:39 AM   #4
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMckroidJr View Post
Very inspirational! Curious as to the depth and manner of fishing employed? Noted you used mono. Most of the action of Florida is taken with braid and electric reels -- hardly fishing IMHO. Still on my Bucket list. For Florida the smaller fish can be taken at night as shallow as 800ft, but the big boys -- like the one you took are out in 1200-2000 in the gulf stream, which has 2-5kts of current to complicate the matter. Very stoked for you! Takes some confidence to pursue that on an inflatable boat. Congratulations!

65lb braid mainline and 150lb mono wind on. I was fishing 1500ft of water with 5lbs of lead. It was a typical swordfish leader with bait, lights and lead attached.
Old 11-08-2022, 08:05 AM   #5
YakHanded
Thread Killer - sorry

Unbelievable big congrats on that one sure you wont be forgetting that anytime soon!
YakHanded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 05:53 AM   #6
erinoo

erinoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 10:22 AM   #7
f'nsabiki

That's some serious "Old Man and The Sea" stuff. Too bad this site if fading away--even though it was on a Kabot not a kayak--that is an epic catch!
f'nsabiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 08:18 AM   #8
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowprofile View Post
65lb braid mainline and 150lb mono wind on. I was fishing 1500ft of water with 5lbs of lead. It was a typical swordfish leader with bait, lights, and lead attached.
Good Stuff, I think a 65lb braid is an ideal choice for a small yack. No need to get pulled too fast and the smaller diameter just adds to the reel capacity.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote