Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 09-05-2022, 08:29 AM   #1
FISH11

La Jolla 9-2-2022 on the Solo Skiff another off-shore Pelagic search

Another trip out in search of Tuna, Yellowtail and Dorados on Friday Sept. 2. This time I intended to concentrate on West of LJ. As I made my way out, I noticed the water was about 4 degrees colder than last Monday. Search for birds and other signs of life. There was very little and so I started heading a little more North. Ended up heading to the North Nine and saw a few other boat heading that way. When I got there after trying other areas that had bait, I never found any signs of Tuna or Dorados swimming around. Found a large number of boats int he spot I had marked on my FF on a couple other trips last years. Could not make out anybody landing some fish, but there were some throwing jigs and many using bait. I trolled the surrounding areas while trying to find better FF marks. Did not find individual large fish marks, just bait. Trolled and stopped to throw jigs but did not get any reactions. Did not want to just sit there in a parking lot with chunk bait. I decided to keep trolling and searching, but headed back early to get back and beat the heavy Friday traffic of a Holliday weekend. I will search again soon. Have to keep an eye on the weather forecast. When I checked that night the Fish Counts, the Daily Double had been on a Full day Charter and had 20 anglers and had landed 34 Dorados. Tight Lines!

Old 09-07-2022, 05:35 PM   #2
Autrout
Junior

Thanks for your posts. I also follow on YouTube
Autrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 12:16 PM   #3
daperrin
www.TheKayakLaunch

Thanks for the update. What do you troll with and how fast?

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@thekayaklaunch
https://www.instagram.com/thekayaklaunch
daperrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 12:49 PM   #4
FISH11

I change up the jigs, but mostly use a Nomad DTX 140, a Nomad DTX 100, a Shimano Colt Sniper of different sizes according to the species I'm targeting. Aso I use a Rapala greenback, Yo zuri Minnow, swim baits, Tady 45. The speed also depend on the species from Live Macs at 1.7-2.5 mph, lures from 3.7-11.5 mph. Some just aren't made for higher speeds.
Old 09-08-2022, 06:53 PM   #5
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

These are the only two lures you need if you’re going offshore

https://www.santosfishing.com/guatemala-vapor/

https://www.afwfishing.com/ch-lures_...H-JH63-2_5.asp

Run the chrome head 50 yards back and the vapor on the last wake.

Everything else is personal preference.

Last edited by lowprofile; 09-08-2022 at 07:15 PM.
lowprofile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 07:19 PM   #6
FISH11

Thanks Chris. I did get a daisy chained feather jig, but did not get to try it the last trip. Now it's trying to wait out the bad weather from the Hurricane. My friend Bryan was out on one of the boats at the North 9 and posted that he saw me and that I should have "slid into that parking lot" that the bite was on for a while. I just never saw anybody bendo or individual large fish marks on the FF, like I saw on all the other trips. I think the bait was so thick in areas, that it just covered the screen. Also I was trying to get back early, because of Friday Holiday traffic. Next trip I will spend more time and make sure to get plenty off good live macs for bait. Still haven't seen any Tuna foamers in 4 trips. Tight Lines!
Attached Images

Last edited by FISH11; 09-08-2022 at 07:25 PM.
FISH11 is offline   Reply With Quote