Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2009, 07:01 AM   #1
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Exclamation Malibu City Council Meeting Oct. 12th!

Here we go again guys! Who can make this meeting?

Need all the Malibu guys to come out for the City Council Meeting next week. Up to this point, the city council has not chosen a standpoint. They have not supported a map. They may change that on Monday at the meeting. Workgroup 3 and 1 maps are basically the same for Malibu: they both suck. Workgroup 2 is the only acceptable map. We need to show up at this meeting and show some support. Malibu is the city council most likely to pull a Laguna (although they are better informed than Laguna was). We need to bring facts to show them why workgroup 2's map is the best option.

Here is the proposed Item:
http://www.ci.malibu.ca.us/download/...oad/cid/14537/
"RECOMMENDED ACTION: Review the Marine Life Protection Act (MLPA) Science
Advisory Team's recommendations regarding Marine Protected Areas (MPA) in the
South Coast Study Region, which includes Malibu coastal waters, and authorize the
Mayor to write a letter of support for the recommendations or determine an alternative
recommendation to be submitted for consideration by the MLPA Blue Ribbon Task Force
at its meetings on October 20-22, 2009.
FISCAL IMPACT: None.
DISCUSSION: On October 6, 2009, the MLPA Science Advisory Team is scheduled to
submit its recommendations regarding the implementation of the MLPA in the South
Coast Study Region. The team will address from a scientific perspective the feasibility of
establishing MPAs in the Region, which includes Malibu coastal waters.
If, after reviewing the recommendations of the Science Advisory Team, the Council
agrees with the team's findings, the Mayor can submit a letter of support for those
recommendations to the Blue Ribbon Task Force.
If the Council does not agree with the recommendations of the Science Advisory Team,
it should develop an alternative recommendation to be submitted to the Blue Ribbon
Task Force for consideration."

Basically, the city council will review the SAT's guidance provided at their recent meeting and provide their own recommendation to the BRTF based on what they think of the SAT's guidance. They have been waiting until the final SAT release to make a decision, so now is the time that they will pick a map to stand behind. Lets be at the meeting so we can be a part of the discussion. Otherwise it will be 1-sided and will turn into Laguna.

Send Emails/Call the city council this week, and tell them to support Map 2.

310-456-2489

Andy Stern - Mayor
astern@ci.malibu.ca.us
Sharon Barovsky - Mayor Pro Tem
sbarovsky@ci.malibu.ca.us
Jefferson Wagner - Councilmember
jwagner@ci.malibu.ca.us
John Sibert - Councilmember
jsibert@ci.malibu.ca.us
Pamela Conley Ulich - Councilmember (some of you may recognize her from MLPA meetings)
pcu@ci.malibu.ca.us

Here is the address for city hall:
Map of 23815 Stuart Ranch Rd Malibu, CA by MapQuest
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 07:13 AM   #2
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Please at least fire off an email to all to REJECT map 3, and Endorse MAP 2.

I already heard back from Mayor Andy Stern.

<pcu@ci.malibu.ca.us>; <jsibert@ci.malibu.ca.us>; <jwagner@ci.malibu.ca.us>; <sbarovsky@ci.malibu.ca.us>; <astern@ci.malibu.ca.us>

But we need NUMBERS at this meeting!!!
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 04:14 PM   #3
yakrider

I am going to make this meeting for sure. I know its alot to ask, but whoever may be able to attend, I am begging you to please come up and help us!
yakrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 09:45 PM   #4
dgax65
Guerro Grande

I think I'll be able to make it up there for the meeting.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:17 AM   #5
-scallywag-
Banned

how did it go...i wasn't able to attend , hopefully we where able to show up in force again....
-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 01:02 PM   #6
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

It didn't go well I heard.

The Malibu council endorsed WG1.

WG1 is NOT a compromise. It is not a middle ground in Malibu. That group explicitly traded Malibu for a fishable PV in the discussions. Malibu paid the price to close only most of PV instead of all of it.

Let the Fish and Game Commission know what you think about the proposed maps.

Be ready for December 9th and 10th.

tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 01:25 PM   #7
-scallywag-
Banned

Damn those draft dodge'in hippies!!! i wish i coulda been there to hear about how all the kayaks and boats are obstucting thier view of the ocean!!
-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 02:26 PM   #8
dgax65
Guerro Grande

Here is the link to the video of the meeting.

http://malibu.granicus.com/MediaPlay...=2&clip_id=365

The pertinent portion starts at around 01:40:00. Grab some popcorn and try not to gag when the blue-shirts crank up the BS machine.

The councilwoman Pamela Ulich (@ 01:142:00) and several other council members were in an absolute snit about the California Coastal Commission's recent ruling that banned the use of temporary lighting for the Malibu High football games. She actually stated that it was 'un-American' for an appointed commission to disregard the will of the people in this matter. The hypocrisy was stunning. None of the council members who were bitching about the Coastal Commission could quite understand that the MLPA process is an even greater abomination. What would they have thought if the Coastal Commission hadn't been funded to do its job and some private entity came in and funded it? These council members were pissed that un-elected, appointed commission members would actually overturn the Malibu City council. Can you imagine how they would feel if SDG&E had provided funding for the Coastal Commission? They would have gone ape-shit. I guess that when you are 'saving the oceans' you don't have to worry about little things like legality, facts and common sense.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:35 PM   #9
yakrider

makes me wanna puke...again...
thanks for your effort last night, Doug!!!
yakrider is offline   Reply With Quote