Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2012, 06:14 AM   #1
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Shark Sighting

Launched out of Doheney at 6:30 on Tuesday and made my way to a couple rock piles off the point. This is the first session that I've had in the last month that I was concentrating on fishing and not lobster bait, and wouldn't you know it, the area was plugged with monster macs. I couldn't get any that would be fit for bait. I managed a few quality calicos on plastic. I was on one of my drifts over the rock pile and I noticed a lobster buoy that I had not mentally taken note of before. Then I realized that this lobster buoy was moving slowly towards me, and that it was not a buoy but a dorsal fin. It continued slowly moving towards me, coming within 25 feet before veering a little and headed offshore. There as a couple guys on a skiff a little ways away from me and I called to them first of all to call attention to the shark and secondly to make sure someone had my back just in case. Because I was facing into the sun, I could not get an ID on the make and model of the shark, but from the dorsal to the tail it was at least 9 feet, and by far the largest I had ever seen in these waters. Definitely not a Thresher, maybe a Mako or a GW. The skiff started up and tried to get close enough to get pictures and ID it but it sank out before they could get close enough to get a positive ID, but they agreed that it was the largest they had ever seen too. I know that it is the sharks that you don't seen that you have to worry about, but I felt a little uncomfortable watching this thing come so close.
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:16 AM   #2
GregAndrew

Damn it Ross, you have all the fun .
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:39 AM   #3
cabojohn
PROBATION

Holy chit Rossman.
That must have been very big shark for you to consider plan B.
YIKES!
cabojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:48 AM   #4
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

I think what made me most uncomfortable was that I had my back deck loaded with dead or dying macs, and I'm sure there was a lot of blood and slim going out the scuppers. To a shark I probably looked and smelled like one big bloody mackerel.
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:53 AM   #5
min-va

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossman View Post
I think what made me most uncomfortable was that I had my back deck loaded with dead or dying macs, and I'm sure there was a lot of blood and slim going out the scuppers. To a shark I probably looked and smelled like one big bloody mackerel.
That could be.. at least for once, you became a trolling bait.

Thanks for the report, i guess i shouldn't go out alone recently.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:48 AM   #6
raffman55

Increase in the pucker factor to the nth degree. That'll get the heart started...
Old 10-31-2012, 10:43 AM   #7
vincentek9
MAYNEE-YAK

pin on a monster mac, cut its tail, and get ready to go on a joy ride!!!
Old 10-31-2012, 10:45 AM   #8
Vikingj

Ross, Thanks for the heads up. I was out at Salt Creek yesterday with JB & Montesdad and although we were skunked I was able to collect some macs for bug bait. In 5-6 yrs of fishing Dana Pt I've never seen a dorsal fin (even though we know they are there) and I'm not looking forward to it! Does it help to close your eyes, place your fingers in your ears, and sing la-la-la I don't see you!?
Wayne
Vikingj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:50 AM   #9
driftwood

Annual Great White Shark Migration Along the Pacific is in full swing.

http://obrag.org/?p=66143
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:56 AM   #10
OutdoorAdvntr

are they attracted because you have a live bait and all that smell coming from the bait?
OutdoorAdvntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:31 PM   #11
Zed
BANNED

Awwww, he was just another stray looking for a home.
Can we keep him, dad, huh, can we keep him?